Re: Reflux splitter

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "povinstitute" <povinstitute@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Anyone have any good ideas on accurately splitting reflux to
      multiple
      > > columns?
      > > Jeff
      > >

      > This might be useful...
      >

      > Slainte! regards Harry

      Yep, but guess what happens when one reflux pipe is 2mm higher than
      the other ...

      One large shotgun on top of four columns is also worth consideration.

      Cheers, Riku

      Cheers, Riku
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@...> >

        > Yep, but guess what happens when one reflux pipe is 2mm higher than
        > the other ...
        >
        > One large shotgun on top of four columns is also worth consideration.
        >
        > Cheers, Riku

        Agreed, on both counts. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a multi-
        column setup in the first place. Just get a bigger diameter column &
        more power if you really must have more volume/hour. The fabrication
        would be simpler for starters. But the guy asked for ideas for a
        splitter, so that's what he's getting, mine & yours (maybe others).
        Making the manifold (or any idea) function effectively is up to the
        builder. I guess we just can't help but be tinkerers.

      • povinstitute
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007
          ...One large shotgun on top of four columns is also worth
          consideration.

          Do you have a diagram of what you are suggesting here?

          Jeff

          > > Yep, but guess what happens when one reflux pipe is 2mm higher
          than
          > > the other ...
          > >
          > > One large shotgun on top of four columns is also worth
          consideration.

          > > Cheers, Riku
          >

          > Agreed, on both counts. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a
          multi-
          > column setup in the first place. Just get a bigger diameter
          column &
          > more power if you really must have more volume/hour. The
          fabrication
          > would be simpler for starters. But the guy asked for ideas for a
          > splitter, so that's what he's getting, mine & yours (maybe
          others).
          > Making the manifold (or any idea) function effectively is up to
          the
          > builder. I guess we just can't help but be tinkerers.
          >

          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007
            Can't find it anymore. This is an old idea anyway. Let me describe it
            briefly:

            As an example we'll take four 2" columns and put them together so
            they form a bundle/bunch (each column touching each other to even out
            heat differences). Then we'll make a chamber on top of those columns
            and have a VM outlet from that chamber. On top of the chamber
            (actually the roof of that chamber) is a shotgun condenser. In that
            condenser we can group the pipes so that each column has the same
            number of pipes on top of them. The effect is roughly the same as
            having a 4" VM column with shotgun condenser.

            Cheers, Riku

            wrote:

            > ...One large shotgun on top of four columns is also worth
            > consideration.
            >
            > Do you have a diagram of what you are suggesting here?
            >
            > Jeff

          • anthony547357
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3, 2007
              --

              Might I just add a minor note to your very useful notes on dividing
              the stream?

              I, too, was intersted in seeing the flow of reflux. I found glass
              tube exceptionally easy to work with and under heat could bend 1/4"
              tube just about wherever I wanted it - a darned sight easier than
              copper tube!

              However, at that stage I didn't have proper needle valves, and I
              would say, that though one can see the signs of flow, they are not
              great. Narrower glass tube would concentrate matters, though I would
              keep to the accuracy of needle valve control.

              The joins to the copper tube were made from ordinary poly tube and
              butt-ended, so the absolute minimum of poly was exposed.

              Tony A