Re: Reflux splitter

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "povinstitute" <povinstitute@...> wrote:

      > Anyone have any good ideas on accurately splitting reflux to multiple
      > columns?
      > Jeff

      This might be useful...

      Slainte! regards Harry
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007

        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "povinstitute" <povinstitute@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Anyone have any good ideas on accurately splitting reflux to
        multiple
        > > columns?
        > > Jeff
        > >

        > This might be useful...
        >

        > Slainte! regards Harry

        Yep, but guess what happens when one reflux pipe is 2mm higher than
        the other ...

        One large shotgun on top of four columns is also worth consideration.

        Cheers, Riku

        Cheers, Riku
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@...> >

          > Yep, but guess what happens when one reflux pipe is 2mm higher than
          > the other ...
          >
          > One large shotgun on top of four columns is also worth consideration.
          >
          > Cheers, Riku

          Agreed, on both counts. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a multi-
          column setup in the first place. Just get a bigger diameter column &
          more power if you really must have more volume/hour. The fabrication
          would be simpler for starters. But the guy asked for ideas for a
          splitter, so that's what he's getting, mine & yours (maybe others).
          Making the manifold (or any idea) function effectively is up to the
          builder. I guess we just can't help but be tinkerers.

        • povinstitute
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007
            ...One large shotgun on top of four columns is also worth
            consideration.

            Do you have a diagram of what you are suggesting here?

            Jeff

            > > Yep, but guess what happens when one reflux pipe is 2mm higher
            than
            > > the other ...
            > >
            > > One large shotgun on top of four columns is also worth
            consideration.

            > > Cheers, Riku
            >

            > Agreed, on both counts. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a
            multi-
            > column setup in the first place. Just get a bigger diameter
            column &
            > more power if you really must have more volume/hour. The
            fabrication
            > would be simpler for starters. But the guy asked for ideas for a
            > splitter, so that's what he's getting, mine & yours (maybe
            others).
            > Making the manifold (or any idea) function effectively is up to
            the
            > builder. I guess we just can't help but be tinkerers.
            >

            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

          • abbababbaccc
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007
              Can't find it anymore. This is an old idea anyway. Let me describe it
              briefly:

              As an example we'll take four 2" columns and put them together so
              they form a bundle/bunch (each column touching each other to even out
              heat differences). Then we'll make a chamber on top of those columns
              and have a VM outlet from that chamber. On top of the chamber
              (actually the roof of that chamber) is a shotgun condenser. In that
              condenser we can group the pipes so that each column has the same
              number of pipes on top of them. The effect is roughly the same as
              having a 4" VM column with shotgun condenser.

              Cheers, Riku

              wrote:

              > ...One large shotgun on top of four columns is also worth
              > consideration.
              >
              > Do you have a diagram of what you are suggesting here?
              >
              > Jeff

            • anthony547357
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 3, 2007

                Might I just add a minor note to your very useful notes on dividing
                the stream?

                I, too, was intersted in seeing the flow of reflux. I found glass
                tube exceptionally easy to work with and under heat could bend 1/4"
                tube just about wherever I wanted it - a darned sight easier than
                copper tube!

                However, at that stage I didn't have proper needle valves, and I
                would say, that though one can see the signs of flow, they are not
                great. Narrower glass tube would concentrate matters, though I would
                keep to the accuracy of needle valve control.

                The joins to the copper tube were made from ordinary poly tube and
                butt-ended, so the absolute minimum of poly was exposed.

                Tony A