Re: Reflux splitter

  • bbornais
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
      If you wish to have two columns, it would probably be best if you
      also had two condensers and two stream splitters rather than one
      reflux splitter, then two stream splitters.

      The way I see it, if you wish to have one condenser, you would need
      one reservoir before the two columns. This reservoir would then need
      to be split evenly into the two columns. In order to split this main
      reservoir accurately, and hence maintain a close equilibrium that is
      respective of both columns (and extremely necessary if you wish to
      have a stable reproducible setup)you would need to have some sort of
      overflow system. For the overflow to be equal on both sides, it would
      have to be equal in size, shape, smoothness etc... On top of this
      problem, you have the problem of keeping the reservoir perfectly
      level. (A more pretty and expensive way is to have two needle valves
      off the main reservoir leading to the columns. The reason I say this
      is expensive is because you would need to make it out of glass to see
      the reflux ratio of each valve).

      If you just used two condensers and two stream splitters, then you
      could measure the take off of each column and try to keep them as
      close to each other as possible. This would give you your best chance
      of equalizing both columns similarly, thereby giving more
      reproducible separations. The best stream splitter ideas i have seen
      are the bokakob design and the nixon/stone.

      I hope this helps, and I look forward to seeing what you come up
      with, but it seems like you may be getting closer to running two
      stills at the same time. I think I saw a 3in copper pipe on ebay a
      couple of days ago...
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "povinstitute" <povinstitute@...> wrote:

        > Anyone have any good ideas on accurately splitting reflux to multiple
        > columns?
        > Jeff

        This might be useful...

        Slainte! regards Harry
      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007

          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "povinstitute" <povinstitute@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Anyone have any good ideas on accurately splitting reflux to
          multiple
          > > columns?
          > > Jeff
          > >

          > This might be useful...
          >

          > Slainte! regards Harry

          Yep, but guess what happens when one reflux pipe is 2mm higher than
          the other ...

          One large shotgun on top of four columns is also worth consideration.

          Cheers, Riku

          Cheers, Riku
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@...> >

            > Yep, but guess what happens when one reflux pipe is 2mm higher than
            > the other ...
            >
            > One large shotgun on top of four columns is also worth consideration.
            >
            > Cheers, Riku

            Agreed, on both counts. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a multi-
            column setup in the first place. Just get a bigger diameter column &
            more power if you really must have more volume/hour. The fabrication
            would be simpler for starters. But the guy asked for ideas for a
            splitter, so that's what he's getting, mine & yours (maybe others).
            Making the manifold (or any idea) function effectively is up to the
            builder. I guess we just can't help but be tinkerers.

          • povinstitute
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007
              ...One large shotgun on top of four columns is also worth
              consideration.

              Do you have a diagram of what you are suggesting here?

              Jeff

              > > Yep, but guess what happens when one reflux pipe is 2mm higher
              than
              > > the other ...
              > >
              > > One large shotgun on top of four columns is also worth
              consideration.

              > > Cheers, Riku
              >

              > Agreed, on both counts. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a
              multi-
              > column setup in the first place. Just get a bigger diameter
              column &
              > more power if you really must have more volume/hour. The
              fabrication
              > would be simpler for starters. But the guy asked for ideas for a
              > splitter, so that's what he's getting, mine & yours (maybe
              others).
              > Making the manifold (or any idea) function effectively is up to
              the
              > builder. I guess we just can't help but be tinkerers.
              >

              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry

            • abbababbaccc
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007
                Can't find it anymore. This is an old idea anyway. Let me describe it
                briefly:

                As an example we'll take four 2" columns and put them together so
                they form a bundle/bunch (each column touching each other to even out
                heat differences). Then we'll make a chamber on top of those columns
                and have a VM outlet from that chamber. On top of the chamber
                (actually the roof of that chamber) is a shotgun condenser. In that
                condenser we can group the pipes so that each column has the same
                number of pipes on top of them. The effect is roughly the same as
                having a 4" VM column with shotgun condenser.

                Cheers, Riku

                wrote:

                > ...One large shotgun on top of four columns is also worth
                > consideration.
                >
                > Do you have a diagram of what you are suggesting here?
                >
                > Jeff

              • anthony547357
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 3, 2007

                  Might I just add a minor note to your very useful notes on dividing
                  the stream?

                  I, too, was intersted in seeing the flow of reflux. I found glass
                  tube exceptionally easy to work with and under heat could bend 1/4"
                  tube just about wherever I wanted it - a darned sight easier than
                  copper tube!

                  However, at that stage I didn't have proper needle valves, and I
                  would say, that though one can see the signs of flow, they are not
                  great. Narrower glass tube would concentrate matters, though I would
                  keep to the accuracy of needle valve control.

                  The joins to the copper tube were made from ordinary poly tube and
                  butt-ended, so the absolute minimum of poly was exposed.

                  Tony A