Re: [Distillers] Re: parrots beak

  • Trid
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2007
      --- morganfield1 <morganfield1@...> wrote:

      > Hello Everyone,
      >
      > I've been admiring all the nice parrots all of you have. As I am
      > considering building one, I have a question. I have noticed all of them
      > are fed from the bottom, I was considering feeding and drawing from the
      > top. Would this be a problem? Feeding from the bottom holds more spirit
      > in the assembly. I am planning on a "free standing" design, so a tap at
      > the bottom would not be advantageous. Do you think feeding at the
      > middle would be alright?
      >
      > Tip one, Morgan

      The important thing to remember is that the strength your distillate is
      changing, and that's what the float is there to display. Flowing in from the
      bottom insures that the fluid that it is floating in is what's currently
      leaving the condenser and that the previous distillate, now at the top, is
      constantly being removed. If the fresh distillate comes into the parrot's beak
      anywhere but the bottom, there is a high likelihood that the fluid that is
      below that point will remain as it is, stratified, and at a differing density,
      thus making your reading inaccurate.

      Imagine for the sake of example, it were transparent. If you filled your
      parrot with dye and ran clear water through it, you'd see that the the dye
      would be flushed from the parrot from the inlet of the parrot and above...maybe
      some below from swirly voretx action, but minimal (somewhat proportional to the
      flow rate, but only slightly). After a while, you'd still see the dye in the
      stagnant portion below the inlet and clear from that point up to the outlet.

      Similarly, if your inlet was at the top, the distillate would essentially
      bypass your parrot. Over time there might be some mixing from top to bottom,
      but it's not nearly swift enough to allow your float to reflect an accurate
      value of what's coming out of your rig at THAT moment.

      Trid
      -a glass parrot's beak would be fun to watch
    • Link D'Antoni
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2007
        Morgan,

        If you feed from the top and dispense from the top you
        will not get a flow and/or immediate corrected
        sampling. The sample will not be stagnant but will
        hinder co-mingling of the run as it flows.

        Link

        --- morganfield1 <morganfield1@...> wrote:

        > Hello Everyone,
        >
        > I've been admiring all the nice parrots all of you
        > have. As I am
        > considering building one, I have a question. I have
        > noticed all of them
        > are fed from the bottom, I was considering feeding
        > and drawing from the
        > top. Would this be a problem? Feeding from the
        > bottom holds more spirit
        > in the assembly. I am planning on a "free standing"
        > design, so a tap at
        > the bottom would not be advantageous. Do you think
        > feeding at the
        > middle would be alright?
        >
        > Tip one, Morgan

        Never Miss an Email
      • morganfield1
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2007
          Thank you everyone for your responses,
          I figured co-mixing from bottom to top was the answer. I will go that
          route. Thanks again,
          Tip one, Morgan