Re: [Distillers] Re: Im wheated up!! what do i make??

  • Ian
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1 1:46 PM
      Sounds good! How would one go about making wheat vodka?

      I'm reading allot of mixed information!
      Do I just soak the wheat?  leave it for 24hrs,  Then add yeast?

      Or do I need too boil it?

      Am i missing something completly?
      How much wheat do i add?

      Thanks again!

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1 5:30 PM
        I use sugar, so I don't have much advice about grains. What I am sure
        of is that you will need to get enzymes in there to break down the
        complex starches into simple sugars. You could probably buy the enzyme,
        or you could throw in some malted grains. Or I guess you could malt
        your wheat. I am not so sure about maltimg wheat, but I am sure someone
        here is...

        Bryan.
      • elricko2
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2 3:48 AM
          Ian:

          The wheat would need to be malted. Here is a link telling you how to
          do that:

          http://byo.com/feature/284.html

          Once it is malted you would just do a single infusion mash with your
          grain and add sugar to bring it up to the OG you are interested in.
          That way you would get the wheat flavor and the output.

          There might be other ways to do this, but this is how I would do it.

          Cheers!
        • pint_o_shine
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2 4:44 AM
            If I possessed that much maltable wheat, and were capable of malting
            it efficiently, why would I want to add sugar? My preference whold be
            to utilized the resources on hand and forego the sugar. I prefer the
            full flavor of the grains over sugar anytime.
            So what if you can onle get 1.050 or 1,060 sg. That is an ideal
            feremntation environment for grain wash and it whould rock with flavor
            even after two times through a pot still.
            Call me old fashioned but in this case cheaper is better.
          • Ian
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2 1:50 PM
              Cheers for that!!  I'll start malting on Monday!!,..  I'll do one batch how you suggested!
              And an all wheat one for you pint_o_shine!,

              I've got a huge bucket full,  I think its a 80l drum, And mum's boyfriend owns a wheat farm,
              So if I can make anything thats desirable for him or me!  I'm thinking ill have an unlimited supply!
              Funny thing!  the farm just down the road from him grows corn!,
              Lets see if I can barter some wheat vodka for some corn ! :)

              I'm keen for a real smooth wheat vodka now!!..  ill go put my head in the drum!

              Thanks for the replys!  I'll post back with the outcome!  So you may have too excuse the spelling mistakes! :)