Reflux splitter

  • povinstitute
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
      Anyone have any good ideas on accurately splitting reflux to multiple
      columns?
      Jeff
    • bbornais
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
        If you wish to have two columns, it would probably be best if you
        also had two condensers and two stream splitters rather than one
        reflux splitter, then two stream splitters.

        The way I see it, if you wish to have one condenser, you would need
        one reservoir before the two columns. This reservoir would then need
        to be split evenly into the two columns. In order to split this main
        reservoir accurately, and hence maintain a close equilibrium that is
        respective of both columns (and extremely necessary if you wish to
        have a stable reproducible setup)you would need to have some sort of
        overflow system. For the overflow to be equal on both sides, it would
        have to be equal in size, shape, smoothness etc... On top of this
        problem, you have the problem of keeping the reservoir perfectly
        level. (A more pretty and expensive way is to have two needle valves
        off the main reservoir leading to the columns. The reason I say this
        is expensive is because you would need to make it out of glass to see
        the reflux ratio of each valve).

        If you just used two condensers and two stream splitters, then you
        could measure the take off of each column and try to keep them as
        close to each other as possible. This would give you your best chance
        of equalizing both columns similarly, thereby giving more
        reproducible separations. The best stream splitter ideas i have seen
        are the bokakob design and the nixon/stone.

        I hope this helps, and I look forward to seeing what you come up
        with, but it seems like you may be getting closer to running two
        stills at the same time. I think I saw a 3in copper pipe on ebay a
        couple of days ago...
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "povinstitute" <povinstitute@...> wrote:

          > Anyone have any good ideas on accurately splitting reflux to multiple
          > columns?
          > Jeff

          This might be useful...

          Slainte! regards Harry
        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007

            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "povinstitute" <povinstitute@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Anyone have any good ideas on accurately splitting reflux to
            multiple
            > > columns?
            > > Jeff
            > >

            > This might be useful...
            >

            > Slainte! regards Harry

            Yep, but guess what happens when one reflux pipe is 2mm higher than
            the other ...

            One large shotgun on top of four columns is also worth consideration.

            Cheers, Riku

            Cheers, Riku
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@...> >

              > Yep, but guess what happens when one reflux pipe is 2mm higher than
              > the other ...
              >
              > One large shotgun on top of four columns is also worth consideration.
              >
              > Cheers, Riku

              Agreed, on both counts. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a multi-
              column setup in the first place. Just get a bigger diameter column &
              more power if you really must have more volume/hour. The fabrication
              would be simpler for starters. But the guy asked for ideas for a
              splitter, so that's what he's getting, mine & yours (maybe others).
              Making the manifold (or any idea) function effectively is up to the
              builder. I guess we just can't help but be tinkerers.

            • povinstitute
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007
                ...One large shotgun on top of four columns is also worth
                consideration.

                Do you have a diagram of what you are suggesting here?

                Jeff

                > > Yep, but guess what happens when one reflux pipe is 2mm higher
                than
                > > the other ...
                > >
                > > One large shotgun on top of four columns is also worth
                consideration.

                > > Cheers, Riku
                >

                > Agreed, on both counts. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a
                multi-
                > column setup in the first place. Just get a bigger diameter
                column &
                > more power if you really must have more volume/hour. The
                fabrication
                > would be simpler for starters. But the guy asked for ideas for a
                > splitter, so that's what he's getting, mine & yours (maybe
                others).
                > Making the manifold (or any idea) function effectively is up to
                the
                > builder. I guess we just can't help but be tinkerers.
                >

                > Slainte!
                > regards Harry

              • abbababbaccc
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007
                  Can't find it anymore. This is an old idea anyway. Let me describe it
                  briefly:

                  As an example we'll take four 2" columns and put them together so
                  they form a bundle/bunch (each column touching each other to even out
                  heat differences). Then we'll make a chamber on top of those columns
                  and have a VM outlet from that chamber. On top of the chamber
                  (actually the roof of that chamber) is a shotgun condenser. In that
                  condenser we can group the pipes so that each column has the same
                  number of pipes on top of them. The effect is roughly the same as
                  having a 4" VM column with shotgun condenser.

                  Cheers, Riku

                  wrote:

                  > ...One large shotgun on top of four columns is also worth
                  > consideration.
                  >
                  > Do you have a diagram of what you are suggesting here?
                  >
                  > Jeff

                • anthony547357
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 3, 2007
                    --

                    Might I just add a minor note to your very useful notes on dividing
                    the stream?

                    I, too, was intersted in seeing the flow of reflux. I found glass
                    tube exceptionally easy to work with and under heat could bend 1/4"
                    tube just about wherever I wanted it - a darned sight easier than
                    copper tube!

                    However, at that stage I didn't have proper needle valves, and I
                    would say, that though one can see the signs of flow, they are not
                    great. Narrower glass tube would concentrate matters, though I would
                    keep to the accuracy of needle valve control.

                    The joins to the copper tube were made from ordinary poly tube and
                    butt-ended, so the absolute minimum of poly was exposed.

                    Tony A