Re: will this work for a element control?

  • anthony547357
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
      I think you were expecting a bit much from a light dimmer switch. I
      got my design off the Web or even the Forum. It uses a few simple
      parts (including a largish heat sink and also a fairly hefty Triac
      and Diac) that can be bought for less than £5.

      As a radio ham, I know that interference can be caused, and the
      usual way to cure this is to take a few turns of cable round a
      ferrite ring - I'd wait and see if you have any complaints first.
      The alternative to this is a United Automation controller from
      Southport, Lancs, but these cost around £27. These are very small
      and neat, and I believe are the basis for Sutronics controllers who
      are tart them up and put them in a box - and charge accordingly.

      In the end I got an industrial weight controller off the web and
      added a voltmeter and switch. The latter was not really necessary as
      you can unplug from the socket. The voltmeter is useful, however,
      and can be closely corelated to head temperature which I think is
      useful. I have found around 50 volts ac is typical once you've got
      up steam, driving a 3KW element from a washing machine.

      Tony

      -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Firefox" <foxyfoxy50@...> wrote:

      > IAs stated in previous replies quite pricey! I constructed a very
      efficient
      > controller for my 3KW element using a lighting dimmer switch. I
      replaced the
      > Triac with a 3KW+ power Triac and bypassed the choke, I fried it
      first LOL.
      > I do realise that radio interference suppression is out the window
      but I
      > have used it for several years now and it's still working well.
      >

      > Just a little electrical knowledge and soldering practice
      required. DO NOT
      > ATTEMPT this if not confident and qualified.
      >
      > Hope this helps, any comments welcome.
      >
      > Bob.
      >

      > --
      11/02/2007
      > 18:50

    • Firefox
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2007

        You are obviously quite correct about the heatsink. I used a heavy duty aluminium box and attached the Triac with thermal compound. This works very well, the box does get quite warm but not hot. The Triac I replaced the dimmer switch one with was a 25 Amp so capable of running a 6KW heater. The overall finished job was built for less than £10. I would of liked a switching controller but not cost effective.

        Bob.