Re: Im wheated up!! what do i make??

  • elricko2
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
      Ian:

      How about a nice wheat vodka? Hard to beat! As far as rum I usually
      use 16 Lbs of dark cane sugar and 1 quart of molassas. Makes a nice
      hardy sweet rum.

      Cheers!
    • Ian
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
        Sounds good! How would one go about making wheat vodka?

        I'm reading allot of mixed information!
        Do I just soak the wheat?  leave it for 24hrs,  Then add yeast?

        Or do I need too boil it?

        Am i missing something completly?
        How much wheat do i add?

        Thanks again!

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
          I use sugar, so I don't have much advice about grains. What I am sure
          of is that you will need to get enzymes in there to break down the
          complex starches into simple sugars. You could probably buy the enzyme,
          or you could throw in some malted grains. Or I guess you could malt
          your wheat. I am not so sure about maltimg wheat, but I am sure someone
          here is...

          Bryan.
        • elricko2
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2007
            Ian:

            The wheat would need to be malted. Here is a link telling you how to
            do that:

            http://byo.com/feature/284.html

            Once it is malted you would just do a single infusion mash with your
            grain and add sugar to bring it up to the OG you are interested in.
            That way you would get the wheat flavor and the output.

            There might be other ways to do this, but this is how I would do it.

            Cheers!
          • pint_o_shine
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2007
              If I possessed that much maltable wheat, and were capable of malting
              it efficiently, why would I want to add sugar? My preference whold be
              to utilized the resources on hand and forego the sugar. I prefer the
              full flavor of the grains over sugar anytime.
              So what if you can onle get 1.050 or 1,060 sg. That is an ideal
              feremntation environment for grain wash and it whould rock with flavor
              even after two times through a pot still.
              Call me old fashioned but in this case cheaper is better.
            • Ian
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 2, 2007
                Cheers for that!!  I'll start malting on Monday!!,..  I'll do one batch how you suggested!
                And an all wheat one for you pint_o_shine!,

                I've got a huge bucket full,  I think its a 80l drum, And mum's boyfriend owns a wheat farm,
                So if I can make anything thats desirable for him or me!  I'm thinking ill have an unlimited supply!
                Funny thing!  the farm just down the road from him grows corn!,
                Lets see if I can barter some wheat vodka for some corn ! :)

                I'm keen for a real smooth wheat vodka now!!..  ill go put my head in the drum!

                Thanks for the replys!  I'll post back with the outcome!  So you may have too excuse the spelling mistakes! :)