Im wheated up!! what do i make??

  • Ian
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
      Gidday folks!

      I just got given aprox 30kg of wheat! and a heap of molasses!
      I'm chuffed!! :)

      From what I understand the wheat its good quality and fairly fresh,   Came directly from a wheat farm and it was in the "good stuff" pile,

      I want too make something nice with it so I can give a few bottles too the kind person who grew (and gave) this lot too me!,

      I have had a quick search and I cant find any "high wheat" recepies, except the "Apfelkorn", Which is blended with apple juice?
      ,Is there something nice and easy for me too try?

      If i distill "just wheat" and bring it off at 80ish % Will it have a nice flavor?  Or just taste like a metho vodka? :)

      I'm guessing the only real thing I can turn the molasses into is rum!,  Ive had mixed results making rum, And have discovered that if I do a "molasses/water/yeast" mix its almost impossible too distill!,

      Even mixing in large amounts of butter, I can only distill 5l at a time in my 25l boiler, and 10 tops in my keg boiler, It almost explodes with a super thick froth!  upsetting too see black shit spew into your hard earnt clear booze!!!.,.   Ive found a little way around this, I do a 50% sugar/molasses mix!  Works a treat!

      Any help of suggestions would be fantastic!
      Cheers!
      Ian

    • elricko2
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
        Ian:

        How about a nice wheat vodka? Hard to beat! As far as rum I usually
        use 16 Lbs of dark cane sugar and 1 quart of molassas. Makes a nice
        hardy sweet rum.

        Cheers!
      • Ian
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
          Sounds good! How would one go about making wheat vodka?

          I'm reading allot of mixed information!
          Do I just soak the wheat?  leave it for 24hrs,  Then add yeast?

          Or do I need too boil it?

          Am i missing something completly?
          How much wheat do i add?

          Thanks again!

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
            I use sugar, so I don't have much advice about grains. What I am sure
            of is that you will need to get enzymes in there to break down the
            complex starches into simple sugars. You could probably buy the enzyme,
            or you could throw in some malted grains. Or I guess you could malt
            your wheat. I am not so sure about maltimg wheat, but I am sure someone
            here is...

            Bryan.
          • elricko2
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2007
              Ian:

              The wheat would need to be malted. Here is a link telling you how to
              do that:

              http://byo.com/feature/284.html

              Once it is malted you would just do a single infusion mash with your
              grain and add sugar to bring it up to the OG you are interested in.
              That way you would get the wheat flavor and the output.

              There might be other ways to do this, but this is how I would do it.

              Cheers!
            • pint_o_shine
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 2, 2007
                If I possessed that much maltable wheat, and were capable of malting
                it efficiently, why would I want to add sugar? My preference whold be
                to utilized the resources on hand and forego the sugar. I prefer the
                full flavor of the grains over sugar anytime.
                So what if you can onle get 1.050 or 1,060 sg. That is an ideal
                feremntation environment for grain wash and it whould rock with flavor
                even after two times through a pot still.
                Call me old fashioned but in this case cheaper is better.
              • Ian
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 2, 2007
                  Cheers for that!!  I'll start malting on Monday!!,..  I'll do one batch how you suggested!
                  And an all wheat one for you pint_o_shine!,

                  I've got a huge bucket full,  I think its a 80l drum, And mum's boyfriend owns a wheat farm,
                  So if I can make anything thats desirable for him or me!  I'm thinking ill have an unlimited supply!
                  Funny thing!  the farm just down the road from him grows corn!,
                  Lets see if I can barter some wheat vodka for some corn ! :)

                  I'm keen for a real smooth wheat vodka now!!..  ill go put my head in the drum!

                  Thanks for the replys!  I'll post back with the outcome!  So you may have too excuse the spelling mistakes! :)