parrots beak

  • KM Services
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2007

      Trid,

      I have had a really good look at all the “beaks” that you guys are making and all have great features and would use any of them, but the one that really appeals to me is posted in the photo section on the site under “Pint’s Beak”. What a beauty! Open the valve and take your foreshots then close for the, main collect which diverts the flow through the instrument tube. This is so simple and very well made even has an open tee at the top just below the drip collector point as “tell tale” overflow. If you wanted extra cooling of the product a condenser could be incorporated just down from the “tell tale” overflow. I personally would not as my product is fairly well cooled after going through the cold tip then a secondary condenser, but maybe if using a valved reflux type of rig it would be an advantage. Pint, your parrots beak is a “real cracker mate” (kiwi slang for fantastic)

      Cheers

      Ken Mc

    • morganfield1
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2007
        Hello Everyone,

        I've been admiring all the nice parrots all of you have. As I am
        considering building one, I have a question. I have noticed all of them
        are fed from the bottom, I was considering feeding and drawing from the
        top. Would this be a problem? Feeding from the bottom holds more spirit
        in the assembly. I am planning on a "free standing" design, so a tap at
        the bottom would not be advantageous. Do you think feeding at the
        middle would be alright?

        Tip one, Morgan
      • Trid
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2007
          --- morganfield1 <morganfield1@...> wrote:

          > Hello Everyone,
          >
          > I've been admiring all the nice parrots all of you have. As I am
          > considering building one, I have a question. I have noticed all of them
          > are fed from the bottom, I was considering feeding and drawing from the
          > top. Would this be a problem? Feeding from the bottom holds more spirit
          > in the assembly. I am planning on a "free standing" design, so a tap at
          > the bottom would not be advantageous. Do you think feeding at the
          > middle would be alright?
          >
          > Tip one, Morgan

          The important thing to remember is that the strength your distillate is
          changing, and that's what the float is there to display. Flowing in from the
          bottom insures that the fluid that it is floating in is what's currently
          leaving the condenser and that the previous distillate, now at the top, is
          constantly being removed. If the fresh distillate comes into the parrot's beak
          anywhere but the bottom, there is a high likelihood that the fluid that is
          below that point will remain as it is, stratified, and at a differing density,
          thus making your reading inaccurate.

          Imagine for the sake of example, it were transparent. If you filled your
          parrot with dye and ran clear water through it, you'd see that the the dye
          would be flushed from the parrot from the inlet of the parrot and above...maybe
          some below from swirly voretx action, but minimal (somewhat proportional to the
          flow rate, but only slightly). After a while, you'd still see the dye in the
          stagnant portion below the inlet and clear from that point up to the outlet.

          Similarly, if your inlet was at the top, the distillate would essentially
          bypass your parrot. Over time there might be some mixing from top to bottom,
          but it's not nearly swift enough to allow your float to reflect an accurate
          value of what's coming out of your rig at THAT moment.

          Trid
          -a glass parrot's beak would be fun to watch
        • Link D'Antoni
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2007
            Morgan,

            If you feed from the top and dispense from the top you
            will not get a flow and/or immediate corrected
            sampling. The sample will not be stagnant but will
            hinder co-mingling of the run as it flows.

            Link

            --- morganfield1 <morganfield1@...> wrote:

            > Hello Everyone,
            >
            > I've been admiring all the nice parrots all of you
            > have. As I am
            > considering building one, I have a question. I have
            > noticed all of them
            > are fed from the bottom, I was considering feeding
            > and drawing from the
            > top. Would this be a problem? Feeding from the
            > bottom holds more spirit
            > in the assembly. I am planning on a "free standing"
            > design, so a tap at
            > the bottom would not be advantageous. Do you think
            > feeding at the
            > middle would be alright?
            >
            > Tip one, Morgan

            Never Miss an Email
          • morganfield1
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2007
              Thank you everyone for your responses,
              I figured co-mixing from bottom to top was the answer. I will go that
              route. Thanks again,
              Tip one, Morgan