re: Corn squeezin's
- --- sunil <sunil@...> wrote:
> Dear Trid,I've taken up the (not so desirable) habit of "mad scientist" brewing, so I'm
> Your mom might be so lucky to have a son like you. Will you please give us
> the receipe of the corn squeezings..
> Thanks and regards
forced to be imprecise here.
I used cracked corn...maybe as much as 5 lbs, and a pound or two of 6 row
malted barley as my grain bill. I boiled the corn to death and used an
immersion style blender (the kind where you put the blender in the food instead
of the other way around) after the corn was good and mooshy and let it boil for
another half hour so all available starches were exposed and gelatinized.
After cooling to mashing temperature, I added my 6 row malt to convert the
starches. I stirred it around occasionally in the span of about an
hour...never bothered to do a starch test.
The next morning, I dumped the whole pot of gooey corny goodness into a
sanitized 5 gallon bucket, topped with water and pitched my yeast. It's been a
while for this batch, so it could have been baking yeast, it could have been a
recycled yeast slurry from some other brew.
I use translucent buckets so I can see when it starts settling out. Once I got
a clear-ish beer on top and a sediment of sludge (easily half the volume of the
bucket) I racked off the beer and topped off with water and 3-5 pounds of sugar
and whisked the whole gloppy mess into a frothy mixture (no Santorum jokes,
please), put the lid on and left it for a few more weeks. Once settled out
again, I racked the beer on top, and had about 5 gallons to run. I stripped as
big a batch as I could fit in my boiler without getting silly (around 3 1/2
gallons or so) and then dissolved another 4 or 5 pounds of sugar in the spent
wash and when it was cool enough (around 100 F or so) topped up my corn sludge
with it. Essentially (as I understand it) it's a thin-mash/sour mash hybrid
sort of wash.
After stripping about 4 gallons of low wines, I did a final polishing run,
cutting my hearts between about 82 C and 87 C (was doing it taste, and those
were the temps where I made the cut between flavorful and funky). I would set
my thermometer to alarm at a given temperature, and I switched collection
vessels at each degree C rise. I then diluted to about 50% abv and put it on
medium toast white oak "fingers" in a screw top 1 gallon glass cracker jar. I
did one on plain oak, the other the same but I added 6 dried apricots. I still
have another gallon unaged...might try oak, apricots, a smidge of honey and
Incidentally, my friends have come to know the fruits of my hobby as "Trid
Squeezin's" ...their fear is slowly evolving to appreciation :)
-Mom got a sampling of the apricot batch.