Re: First wood barrel aging...Too much angels share!

  • toddk63
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 26, 2007
      Ha..That's a 3 liter "Thousand Oaks" brand barrel. Quality is great.
      Just wish I had more of it. I was expecting maybe 10% loss.

      Todd K.

      ote:

      > Waitaminute, 3 liters aging in a 1000 liters oak barrels??? Sounds like
      > a clue to me... Still would like to know about the quality.
      >
      > Cheers, Riku
      >

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "toddk63" <toddk63@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I just finished a 4 month aging of some rum in a 3 liter 1000 oaks
      > > barrel. I started with 65% spirit. I kept the barrel on a top shelf
      > > in my study between November and now (late Feb). Temps between 70F and
      > > 75F. Every couple of weeks or so I would check the level and top it up
      > > with water. I was a bit suspicious at the volume of water I had to
      > > add to top it up every time. There were no signs of leaks from the
      > > barrel. Today I removed the rum from the barrel. Took a SG (55% abv)
      > > and a volume 2600 ml. So I went from 3050 ml @ 65% abv to 2600 ml @
      > > 55% abv. That's an angels share of 28% of total alcohol lost in 4
      > > months! Seems excessive to me. Does this sound right to you guys.
      > > What can I do to reduce this.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Todd K.

    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 27, 2007
        Heat, humidity (or lack thereof) and volume to surface area are your
        problems. this seems a general problem with small barrels.
        I'd suggest putting the whole barrel in a large sealed bag in the
        coldest place you have (within reason!).
        The bag will stabilize the vapour components outside the barrel, and so
        slow down the leaching/evaporation.

        Also, as Riku mentioned, check your bung. It should be hardwood, or at
        least cut so the grain goes across it not from in to out of the barrel.
        You could include a bit of plastic sheet between it and the barrel.

        Hope that helps.
        Rob.
        p.s. why did you top up with water?

        --- toddk63 <toddk63@...> wrote:

        > Ha..That's a 3 liter "Thousand Oaks" brand barrel. Quality is great.
        > Just wish I had more of it. I was expecting maybe 10% loss.
        >
        > Todd K.
        >
        > ote:
        > >
        > > Waitaminute, 3 liters aging in a 1000 liters oak barrels??? Sounds
        > like
        > > a clue to me... Still would like to know about the quality.
        > >
        > > Cheers, Riku
        > >

        > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "toddk63" <toddk63@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I just finished a 4 month aging of some rum in a 3 liter 1000
        > oaks
        > > > barrel. I started with 65% spirit. I kept the barrel on a top
        > shelf
        > > > in my study between November and now (late Feb). Temps between
        > 70F and
        > > > 75F. Every couple of weeks or so I would check the level and top
        > it up
        > > > with water. I was a bit suspicious at the volume of water I had
        > > > add to top it up every time. There were no signs of leaks from
        > the
        > > > barrel. Today I removed the rum from the barrel. Took a SG (55%
        > abv)
        > > > and a volume 2600 ml. So I went from 3050 ml @ 65% abv to 2600
        > ml @
        > > > 55% abv. That's an angels share of 28% of total alcohol lost in
        > 4
        > > > months! Seems excessive to me. Does this sound right to you
        > guys.
        > > > What can I do to reduce this.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks,
        > > >
        > > > Todd K.

        Cheers,
        Rob.

      • toddk63
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 27, 2007
          It's a hardwood bung. A rather big one though (1.5 inch dia.). I
          thought of wrapping the barrel in plastic food wrap.

          BTW, Am I really gaing much by using an oak barrel and putting up with
          all this angel share versus just aging in glass with wood chips?

          Todd K.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote:

          > Heat, humidity (or lack thereof) and volume to surface area are your
          > problems. this seems a general problem with small barrels.
          > I'd suggest putting the whole barrel in a large sealed bag in the
          > coldest place you have (within reason!).
          > The bag will stabilize the vapour components outside the barrel, and so
          > slow down the leaching/evaporation.
          >
          > Also, as Riku mentioned, check your bung. It should be hardwood, or at
          > least cut so the grain goes across it not from in to out of the barrel.
          > You could include a bit of plastic sheet between it and the barrel.
          >
          > Hope that helps.
          > Rob.
          > p.s. why did you top up with water?
          >
          > --- toddk63 <toddk63@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Ha..That's a 3 liter "Thousand Oaks" brand barrel. Quality is great.
          > > Just wish I had more of it. I was expecting maybe 10% loss.
          > >
          > > Todd K.
          > >
          > > ote:
          > > >
          > > > Waitaminute, 3 liters aging in a 1000 liters oak barrels??? Sounds
          > > like
          > > > a clue to me... Still would like to know about the quality.
          > > >
          > > > Cheers, Riku

          > > oaks
          > > shelf
          > > 70F and
          > > it up
          > > the
          > > abv)
          > > ml @
          > > 4
          > > guys.

          > Cheers,
          > Rob.

          > Any questions? Get answers on any topic at www.Answers.yahoo.com.
          Try it now.

        • donald holcombe
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 27, 2007
            Top shelf is probably hotter than the temp at the thermostat level. Move barrel to a cool place. Was the barrel DRY when you filled it ? I soak some vodka into my new barrels for a few days . I put a 1/2 gal of vodka in it and roll it around as often as I can . It will soak up a lot of vodka into a new barrel.

            I just finished a 4 month aging of some rum in a 3 liter 1000 oaks
            barrel. I started with 65% spirit. I kept the barrel on a top shelf
            in my study between November and now (late Feb). Temps between 70F and
            75F. Every couple of weeks or so I would check the level and top it up
            with water. I was a bit suspicious at the volume of water I had to
            add to top it up every time. There were no signs of leaks from the
            barrel. Today I removed the rum from the barrel. Took a SG (55% abv)
            and a volume 2600 ml. So I went from 3050 ml @ 65% abv to 2600 ml @
            55% abv. That's an angels share of 28% of total alcohol lost in 4
            months! Seems excessive to me. Does this sound right to you guys.
            What can I do to reduce this.

            Thanks,

            Todd K.

            Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
            in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.
          • donald holcombe
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 27, 2007
              Figure the volume of likker versus the inside area of the barrel. I think , If my Thinker is working, That the bigger the barrel the smaller the area versus volume ratio is. This could effect the evaporation rate.

              I just finished a 4 month aging of some rum in a 3 liter 1000 oaks
              barrel. I started with 65% spirit. I kept the barrel on a top shelf
              in my study between November and now (late Feb). Temps between 70F and
              75F. Every couple of weeks or so I would check the level and top it up
              with water. I was a bit suspicious at the volume of water I had to
              add to top it up every time. There were no signs of leaks from the
              barrel. Today I removed the rum from the barrel. Took a SG (55% abv)
              and a volume 2600 ml. So I went from 3050 ml @ 65% abv to 2600 ml @
              55% abv. That's an angels share of 28% of total alcohol lost in 4
              months! Seems excessive to me. Does this sound right to you guys.
              What can I do to reduce this.

              Thanks,

              Todd K.

              Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
            • Allan Robert Newton
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
                I have a used 5 litre port barrel that leaves too much flakey residue to suit me .
                does any one have a good safe cleaning solution .
                Regards Allan