Re: First wood barrel aging...Too much angels share!

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 26, 2007
      Waitaminute, 3 liters aging in a 1000 liters oak barrels??? Sounds like
      a clue to me... Still would like to know about the quality.

      Cheers, Riku

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "toddk63" <toddk63@...> wrote:

      > I just finished a 4 month aging of some rum in a 3 liter 1000 oaks
      > barrel. I started with 65% spirit. I kept the barrel on a top shelf
      > in my study between November and now (late Feb). Temps between 70F and
      > 75F. Every couple of weeks or so I would check the level and top it up
      > with water. I was a bit suspicious at the volume of water I had to
      > add to top it up every time. There were no signs of leaks from the
      > barrel. Today I removed the rum from the barrel. Took a SG (55% abv)
      > and a volume 2600 ml. So I went from 3050 ml @ 65% abv to 2600 ml @
      > 55% abv. That's an angels share of 28% of total alcohol lost in 4
      > months! Seems excessive to me. Does this sound right to you guys.
      > What can I do to reduce this.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Todd K.

    • toddk63
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 26, 2007
        Ha..That's a 3 liter "Thousand Oaks" brand barrel. Quality is great.
        Just wish I had more of it. I was expecting maybe 10% loss.

        Todd K.

        ote:

        > Waitaminute, 3 liters aging in a 1000 liters oak barrels??? Sounds like
        > a clue to me... Still would like to know about the quality.
        >
        > Cheers, Riku
        >

        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "toddk63" <toddk63@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I just finished a 4 month aging of some rum in a 3 liter 1000 oaks
        > > barrel. I started with 65% spirit. I kept the barrel on a top shelf
        > > in my study between November and now (late Feb). Temps between 70F and
        > > 75F. Every couple of weeks or so I would check the level and top it up
        > > with water. I was a bit suspicious at the volume of water I had to
        > > add to top it up every time. There were no signs of leaks from the
        > > barrel. Today I removed the rum from the barrel. Took a SG (55% abv)
        > > and a volume 2600 ml. So I went from 3050 ml @ 65% abv to 2600 ml @
        > > 55% abv. That's an angels share of 28% of total alcohol lost in 4
        > > months! Seems excessive to me. Does this sound right to you guys.
        > > What can I do to reduce this.
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > >
        > > Todd K.

      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 27, 2007
          Heat, humidity (or lack thereof) and volume to surface area are your
          problems. this seems a general problem with small barrels.
          I'd suggest putting the whole barrel in a large sealed bag in the
          coldest place you have (within reason!).
          The bag will stabilize the vapour components outside the barrel, and so
          slow down the leaching/evaporation.

          Also, as Riku mentioned, check your bung. It should be hardwood, or at
          least cut so the grain goes across it not from in to out of the barrel.
          You could include a bit of plastic sheet between it and the barrel.

          Hope that helps.
          Rob.
          p.s. why did you top up with water?

          --- toddk63 <toddk63@...> wrote:

          > Ha..That's a 3 liter "Thousand Oaks" brand barrel. Quality is great.
          > Just wish I had more of it. I was expecting maybe 10% loss.
          >
          > Todd K.
          >
          > ote:
          > >
          > > Waitaminute, 3 liters aging in a 1000 liters oak barrels??? Sounds
          > like
          > > a clue to me... Still would like to know about the quality.
          > >
          > > Cheers, Riku
          > >

          > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "toddk63" <toddk63@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I just finished a 4 month aging of some rum in a 3 liter 1000
          > oaks
          > > > barrel. I started with 65% spirit. I kept the barrel on a top
          > shelf
          > > > in my study between November and now (late Feb). Temps between
          > 70F and
          > > > 75F. Every couple of weeks or so I would check the level and top
          > it up
          > > > with water. I was a bit suspicious at the volume of water I had
          > > > add to top it up every time. There were no signs of leaks from
          > the
          > > > barrel. Today I removed the rum from the barrel. Took a SG (55%
          > abv)
          > > > and a volume 2600 ml. So I went from 3050 ml @ 65% abv to 2600
          > ml @
          > > > 55% abv. That's an angels share of 28% of total alcohol lost in
          > 4
          > > > months! Seems excessive to me. Does this sound right to you
          > guys.
          > > > What can I do to reduce this.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks,
          > > >
          > > > Todd K.

          Cheers,
          Rob.

        • toddk63
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 27, 2007
            It's a hardwood bung. A rather big one though (1.5 inch dia.). I
            thought of wrapping the barrel in plastic food wrap.

            BTW, Am I really gaing much by using an oak barrel and putting up with
            all this angel share versus just aging in glass with wood chips?

            Todd K.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote:

            > Heat, humidity (or lack thereof) and volume to surface area are your
            > problems. this seems a general problem with small barrels.
            > I'd suggest putting the whole barrel in a large sealed bag in the
            > coldest place you have (within reason!).
            > The bag will stabilize the vapour components outside the barrel, and so
            > slow down the leaching/evaporation.
            >
            > Also, as Riku mentioned, check your bung. It should be hardwood, or at
            > least cut so the grain goes across it not from in to out of the barrel.
            > You could include a bit of plastic sheet between it and the barrel.
            >
            > Hope that helps.
            > Rob.
            > p.s. why did you top up with water?
            >
            > --- toddk63 <toddk63@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Ha..That's a 3 liter "Thousand Oaks" brand barrel. Quality is great.
            > > Just wish I had more of it. I was expecting maybe 10% loss.
            > >
            > > Todd K.
            > >
            > > ote:
            > > >
            > > > Waitaminute, 3 liters aging in a 1000 liters oak barrels??? Sounds
            > > like
            > > > a clue to me... Still would like to know about the quality.
            > > >
            > > > Cheers, Riku

            > > oaks
            > > shelf
            > > 70F and
            > > it up
            > > the
            > > abv)
            > > ml @
            > > 4
            > > guys.

            > Cheers,
            > Rob.

            > Any questions? Get answers on any topic at www.Answers.yahoo.com.
            Try it now.

          • donald holcombe
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 27, 2007
              Top shelf is probably hotter than the temp at the thermostat level. Move barrel to a cool place. Was the barrel DRY when you filled it ? I soak some vodka into my new barrels for a few days . I put a 1/2 gal of vodka in it and roll it around as often as I can . It will soak up a lot of vodka into a new barrel.

              I just finished a 4 month aging of some rum in a 3 liter 1000 oaks
              barrel. I started with 65% spirit. I kept the barrel on a top shelf
              in my study between November and now (late Feb). Temps between 70F and
              75F. Every couple of weeks or so I would check the level and top it up
              with water. I was a bit suspicious at the volume of water I had to
              add to top it up every time. There were no signs of leaks from the
              barrel. Today I removed the rum from the barrel. Took a SG (55% abv)
              and a volume 2600 ml. So I went from 3050 ml @ 65% abv to 2600 ml @
              55% abv. That's an angels share of 28% of total alcohol lost in 4
              months! Seems excessive to me. Does this sound right to you guys.
              What can I do to reduce this.

              Thanks,

              Todd K.

              Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
              in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.
            • donald holcombe
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 27, 2007
                Figure the volume of likker versus the inside area of the barrel. I think , If my Thinker is working, That the bigger the barrel the smaller the area versus volume ratio is. This could effect the evaporation rate.

                I just finished a 4 month aging of some rum in a 3 liter 1000 oaks
                barrel. I started with 65% spirit. I kept the barrel on a top shelf
                in my study between November and now (late Feb). Temps between 70F and
                75F. Every couple of weeks or so I would check the level and top it up
                with water. I was a bit suspicious at the volume of water I had to
                add to top it up every time. There were no signs of leaks from the
                barrel. Today I removed the rum from the barrel. Took a SG (55% abv)
                and a volume 2600 ml. So I went from 3050 ml @ 65% abv to 2600 ml @
                55% abv. That's an angels share of 28% of total alcohol lost in 4
                months! Seems excessive to me. Does this sound right to you guys.
                What can I do to reduce this.

                Thanks,

                Todd K.

                Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
              • Allan Robert Newton
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
                  I have a used 5 litre port barrel that leaves too much flakey residue to suit me .
                  does any one have a good safe cleaning solution .
                  Regards Allan