First wood barrel aging...Too much angels share!

  • toddk63
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 26, 2007
      I just finished a 4 month aging of some rum in a 3 liter 1000 oaks
      barrel. I started with 65% spirit. I kept the barrel on a top shelf
      in my study between November and now (late Feb). Temps between 70F and
      75F. Every couple of weeks or so I would check the level and top it up
      with water. I was a bit suspicious at the volume of water I had to
      add to top it up every time. There were no signs of leaks from the
      barrel. Today I removed the rum from the barrel. Took a SG (55% abv)
      and a volume 2600 ml. So I went from 3050 ml @ 65% abv to 2600 ml @
      55% abv. That's an angels share of 28% of total alcohol lost in 4
      months! Seems excessive to me. Does this sound right to you guys.
      What can I do to reduce this.

      Thanks,

      Todd K.
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 26, 2007
        Top it up with neutral 95.6%, or keep it cooler. But seriously, what's
        the quality like? I'd suspect you either have barrell that breaths too
        much (maybe cork) or the temperature is too high. Anyway, if the
        quality is good I wouldn't really complain.

        Cheers, Riku

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "toddk63" <toddk63@...> wrote:

        > I just finished a 4 month aging of some rum in a 3 liter 1000 oaks
        > barrel. I started with 65% spirit. I kept the barrel on a top shelf
        > in my study between November and now (late Feb). Temps between 70F and
        > 75F. Every couple of weeks or so I would check the level and top it up
        > with water. I was a bit suspicious at the volume of water I had to
        > add to top it up every time. There were no signs of leaks from the
        > barrel. Today I removed the rum from the barrel. Took a SG (55% abv)
        > and a volume 2600 ml. So I went from 3050 ml @ 65% abv to 2600 ml @
        > 55% abv. That's an angels share of 28% of total alcohol lost in 4
        > months! Seems excessive to me. Does this sound right to you guys.
        > What can I do to reduce this.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Todd K.

      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 26, 2007
          Waitaminute, 3 liters aging in a 1000 liters oak barrels??? Sounds like
          a clue to me... Still would like to know about the quality.

          Cheers, Riku

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "toddk63" <toddk63@...> wrote:

          > I just finished a 4 month aging of some rum in a 3 liter 1000 oaks
          > barrel. I started with 65% spirit. I kept the barrel on a top shelf
          > in my study between November and now (late Feb). Temps between 70F and
          > 75F. Every couple of weeks or so I would check the level and top it up
          > with water. I was a bit suspicious at the volume of water I had to
          > add to top it up every time. There were no signs of leaks from the
          > barrel. Today I removed the rum from the barrel. Took a SG (55% abv)
          > and a volume 2600 ml. So I went from 3050 ml @ 65% abv to 2600 ml @
          > 55% abv. That's an angels share of 28% of total alcohol lost in 4
          > months! Seems excessive to me. Does this sound right to you guys.
          > What can I do to reduce this.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Todd K.

        • toddk63
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 26, 2007
            Ha..That's a 3 liter "Thousand Oaks" brand barrel. Quality is great.
            Just wish I had more of it. I was expecting maybe 10% loss.

            Todd K.

            ote:

            > Waitaminute, 3 liters aging in a 1000 liters oak barrels??? Sounds like
            > a clue to me... Still would like to know about the quality.
            >
            > Cheers, Riku
            >

            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "toddk63" <toddk63@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I just finished a 4 month aging of some rum in a 3 liter 1000 oaks
            > > barrel. I started with 65% spirit. I kept the barrel on a top shelf
            > > in my study between November and now (late Feb). Temps between 70F and
            > > 75F. Every couple of weeks or so I would check the level and top it up
            > > with water. I was a bit suspicious at the volume of water I had to
            > > add to top it up every time. There were no signs of leaks from the
            > > barrel. Today I removed the rum from the barrel. Took a SG (55% abv)
            > > and a volume 2600 ml. So I went from 3050 ml @ 65% abv to 2600 ml @
            > > 55% abv. That's an angels share of 28% of total alcohol lost in 4
            > > months! Seems excessive to me. Does this sound right to you guys.
            > > What can I do to reduce this.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Todd K.

          • Robert Thomas
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 27, 2007
              Heat, humidity (or lack thereof) and volume to surface area are your
              problems. this seems a general problem with small barrels.
              I'd suggest putting the whole barrel in a large sealed bag in the
              coldest place you have (within reason!).
              The bag will stabilize the vapour components outside the barrel, and so
              slow down the leaching/evaporation.

              Also, as Riku mentioned, check your bung. It should be hardwood, or at
              least cut so the grain goes across it not from in to out of the barrel.
              You could include a bit of plastic sheet between it and the barrel.

              Hope that helps.
              Rob.
              p.s. why did you top up with water?

              --- toddk63 <toddk63@...> wrote:

              > Ha..That's a 3 liter "Thousand Oaks" brand barrel. Quality is great.
              > Just wish I had more of it. I was expecting maybe 10% loss.
              >
              > Todd K.
              >
              > ote:
              > >
              > > Waitaminute, 3 liters aging in a 1000 liters oak barrels??? Sounds
              > like
              > > a clue to me... Still would like to know about the quality.
              > >
              > > Cheers, Riku
              > >

              > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "toddk63" <toddk63@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I just finished a 4 month aging of some rum in a 3 liter 1000
              > oaks
              > > > barrel. I started with 65% spirit. I kept the barrel on a top
              > shelf
              > > > in my study between November and now (late Feb). Temps between
              > 70F and
              > > > 75F. Every couple of weeks or so I would check the level and top
              > it up
              > > > with water. I was a bit suspicious at the volume of water I had
              > > > add to top it up every time. There were no signs of leaks from
              > the
              > > > barrel. Today I removed the rum from the barrel. Took a SG (55%
              > abv)
              > > > and a volume 2600 ml. So I went from 3050 ml @ 65% abv to 2600
              > ml @
              > > > 55% abv. That's an angels share of 28% of total alcohol lost in
              > 4
              > > > months! Seems excessive to me. Does this sound right to you
              > guys.
              > > > What can I do to reduce this.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks,
              > > >
              > > > Todd K.

              Cheers,
              Rob.

            • toddk63
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 27, 2007
                It's a hardwood bung. A rather big one though (1.5 inch dia.). I
                thought of wrapping the barrel in plastic food wrap.

                BTW, Am I really gaing much by using an oak barrel and putting up with
                all this angel share versus just aging in glass with wood chips?

                Todd K.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote:

                > Heat, humidity (or lack thereof) and volume to surface area are your
                > problems. this seems a general problem with small barrels.
                > I'd suggest putting the whole barrel in a large sealed bag in the
                > coldest place you have (within reason!).
                > The bag will stabilize the vapour components outside the barrel, and so
                > slow down the leaching/evaporation.
                >
                > Also, as Riku mentioned, check your bung. It should be hardwood, or at
                > least cut so the grain goes across it not from in to out of the barrel.
                > You could include a bit of plastic sheet between it and the barrel.
                >
                > Hope that helps.
                > Rob.
                > p.s. why did you top up with water?
                >
                > --- toddk63 <toddk63@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Ha..That's a 3 liter "Thousand Oaks" brand barrel. Quality is great.
                > > Just wish I had more of it. I was expecting maybe 10% loss.
                > >
                > > Todd K.
                > >
                > > ote:
                > > >
                > > > Waitaminute, 3 liters aging in a 1000 liters oak barrels??? Sounds
                > > like
                > > > a clue to me... Still would like to know about the quality.
                > > >
                > > > Cheers, Riku

                > > oaks
                > > shelf
                > > 70F and
                > > it up
                > > the
                > > abv)
                > > ml @
                > > 4
                > > guys.

                > Cheers,
                > Rob.

                > Any questions? Get answers on any topic at www.Answers.yahoo.com.
                Try it now.

              • donald holcombe
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 27, 2007
                  Top shelf is probably hotter than the temp at the thermostat level. Move barrel to a cool place. Was the barrel DRY when you filled it ? I soak some vodka into my new barrels for a few days . I put a 1/2 gal of vodka in it and roll it around as often as I can . It will soak up a lot of vodka into a new barrel.

                  I just finished a 4 month aging of some rum in a 3 liter 1000 oaks
                  barrel. I started with 65% spirit. I kept the barrel on a top shelf
                  in my study between November and now (late Feb). Temps between 70F and
                  75F. Every couple of weeks or so I would check the level and top it up
                  with water. I was a bit suspicious at the volume of water I had to
                  add to top it up every time. There were no signs of leaks from the
                  barrel. Today I removed the rum from the barrel. Took a SG (55% abv)
                  and a volume 2600 ml. So I went from 3050 ml @ 65% abv to 2600 ml @
                  55% abv. That's an angels share of 28% of total alcohol lost in 4
                  months! Seems excessive to me. Does this sound right to you guys.
                  What can I do to reduce this.

                  Thanks,

                  Todd K.

                  Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
                  in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.
                • donald holcombe
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 27, 2007
                    Figure the volume of likker versus the inside area of the barrel. I think , If my Thinker is working, That the bigger the barrel the smaller the area versus volume ratio is. This could effect the evaporation rate.

                    I just finished a 4 month aging of some rum in a 3 liter 1000 oaks
                    barrel. I started with 65% spirit. I kept the barrel on a top shelf
                    in my study between November and now (late Feb). Temps between 70F and
                    75F. Every couple of weeks or so I would check the level and top it up
                    with water. I was a bit suspicious at the volume of water I had to
                    add to top it up every time. There were no signs of leaks from the
                    barrel. Today I removed the rum from the barrel. Took a SG (55% abv)
                    and a volume 2600 ml. So I went from 3050 ml @ 65% abv to 2600 ml @
                    55% abv. That's an angels share of 28% of total alcohol lost in 4
                    months! Seems excessive to me. Does this sound right to you guys.
                    What can I do to reduce this.

                    Thanks,

                    Todd K.

                    Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                  • Allan Robert Newton
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
                      I have a used 5 litre port barrel that leaves too much flakey residue to suit me .
                      does any one have a good safe cleaning solution .
                      Regards Allan