Re: RTV sealant

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2007
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

      > I have been told to use RTV sealant for making gaskets, and to stay
      > away from silacone sealants that smell like vinegar. However, The RTV
      > sealant that I have been using has a strong vinegar-like smell. Should
      > I still be using it? I haven't had any off-flavors showing up in my
      > spirits. Just wondering.
      >
      > -Tyler

      Aquarium grade silicone that's typically recommended is vinegar based.
      If I let it cure properly (up to couple of days depending on whether
      the environment is sealed or not) it holds just fine as gasket. On
      prolonged use in contact with hot high ABV alcohol it might separate
      from the copper. I believe Harry has found some other alternatives you
      might try if that's a problem. You can use it for boiler gaskets and
      even for glueing on capillary joints if necessary. No off-flavors
      detected in some ten years of use.

      Cheers, Riku