Citrus, distilling purity and adding sugar (invert?)

  • mattdistiller
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2001
      Hi all,

      You may recall that I amm currently attempting a cointrau like
      alcohol, by fermenting an orange juice/peel wash with LC 1118, and
      also soaking half the peel in 45% alcohol, all of which I will
      distill out.

      An update on the ferment - currently bubbling away slowly (1 bubble/2
      secs) and at 1010. Its taken 11 days to get this far (from 1090) and
      I'll expect it to finish up in the next week or so - So thats all
      looking good.

      A couple of questions now (in anticipation of the distilling run):

      1. What kind of purity should I distill at? I have two thoughts on
      this -
      a) Distill at a high purity, and let the flavour come throug late in
      the run (like the instructions from the corn whiskey book for corn
      whiskey)
      b) Distill at a lowe purity (ie 70% or so) so the flavour comes
      through throughout the run.

      What are peoples thoughts? I have a nixon-stone still, which is
      quite happy to produce 96% - the photos are at:
      <http://homedistiller.org/photos-ns.htm> under "Matts Still".

      2. After I have the spirit, I will dillute down to 45% (not 40% so
      as to avoid the oils precipitating out as discussed by others on this
      group). Obviously it'll need some sweetener - again two options -
      a) Just add sugar (sucrose)
      b) Use 'invert' sugar, which I have scribbled down in my notebook as
      "?Maybe better than sugar?. 1kg sugar, 500 mL water, 1/4 tsp acid
      (or juice of 1/2 lemon). Bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
      Cool"
      This seems cryptic to me now - but must of made sense at the time!

      Again what do people think (and can anyone explain my notes on invert
      sugar?!). What kind of quantities of sweetener should I start with
      (obviously I'll adjust to taste - but it would be good to have a
      starting point!).

      Thanks in advance,

      Matt