Re: Calling all Scotch afficionados

  • Sven Pfitt
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 19 6:35 AM
      I believe bakers yeast can handle 10# of sugar in a 5 gallon wash
      (1.092 OG).

      This would be 12.23%abv.

      I suspect that it would take a good bit longer for the yeast to
      deplete all the sugar, but it would do it. It will probably also
      produce more byproducts since the yeast will be stressed more than in
      a lower wash.

      8# of sugar in a 5 gallon wash (1.074 OG) would be 9.79%abv and would
      probabaly finish a good bit quicker and be cleaner.

      Sven
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "surya9375" <surya9375@...> wrote:

      > Hi guys
      > Just to be of some input. Although for my first distillations I used
      > turbo and the sort, now I just use ordinary bakers yeast. The best I
      > get out of it is 9% mostly 8%. As for taste?? I make vodka and I put
      > the product through a real good process. I let it mature (yeah I
      > mature vodka :-) ) Carbon filtration and the works. So I guess
      even
      > if there was an off taste I wouldn't know.
      >
      > But the point is that with bakers yeast I have never got more than
      9%
      > in the mash.
      >
      > Regards
      > Surya
      >
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "anthony547357"
      > <Anthony.Athawes@> wrote:
      > >
      > > -This seems to raise an interseting point on using Tubo yeast.
      Turbo
      > > appears to give around 18% wash whereas ordinary dried yeast
      gives
      > > perhaps 12 or 13%ABV in a longer space of time.

      ...snip....