Re: Madrone/Medronho

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2001
      Medronho is a Portugese spirit made from the berries of the
      Strawberry Tree (Arbutus unedo). This tree is a native of Ireland but
      to my knowledge is not fermented to make a wine.
      There are recipes for Madrone berry (U.S. name) wine using related
      native U.S. madrone berries - this can obviously be distilled:
      http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request119.asp
      You could make a pure madrone fruit mash by following instructions in
      Tony's site:
      http://www.homedistiller.org

      Wal
    • goyeast
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 6, 2001
        I've been planning on a hike to collect Madrone berries this
        weekend. Most of the trees around here don't produce, but I know of
        three large ones at 2700 feet that have a lot of berries. Hopefully,
        they're not over ripe. I'll post my results.

        The herbal liqueur that I mentioned a few weeks ago (yarrow, yerba
        santa, etc...) is steeping. I will post my results after I do a
        second run in my de-refluxed still. So far, it smells great. Hope
        it tastes as well as it smells.

        Scott