Olive oil to remove impurities ?

  • Brian B.
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 12, 2007
      Hi all,
        Just been reading a section of a book called Dick's Receipts (1872) and it goes through the usual methods of filtering through charcoal etc.
        But, there's also this ...

      "The fusel oil can be extracted from small quantities of alcohol by adding a few drops of olive oil to the spirit, agitating thoroughly in a bottle, and, after settling, decanting.  The olive oil dissolves and retains the fusl oil."

        Is there any reason that this might work, or has this method been forgotten simply because it's a waste of good olive oil ?

      Anyone know ?

      Cheers,
        Brian B.
    • Trid
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 12, 2007
        --- "Brian B." <brianlives@...> wrote:
        > "The fusel oil can be extracted from small quantities of alcohol by adding a
        > few drops of olive oil to the spirit, agitating thoroughly in a bottle, and,
        > after settling, decanting. The olive oil dissolves and retains the fusl
        > oil."
        >
        > Is there any reason that this might work, or has this method been forgotten
        > simply because it's a waste of good olive oil ?

        My understanding is that the fusels are simply higher alcohols and that "oil"
        is a bit of a misnomer in their context.

        Not that this invalidates the claim, but I would be inclined to believe that
        it's not quite true...perhaps the flavor of the olive oil covers up the flavors
        of the congeners/fusels.

        Other input?
        Trid
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 12, 2007
          I would be inclined to believe that
          > it's not quite true...perhaps the flavor of the olive oil covers up
          the flavors
          > of the congeners/fusels.
          >
          > Other input?
          > Trid

          I'm with you Trid. Given the age of that particular tome, methinks
          it's a bit off-beam. However nations on the Continent tend to use
          Olive Oil with everything, so why not with booze? Maybe a quick
          experiment is in order?

        • bbornais
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 13, 2007
            The technique reffered to here is called a two phase liquid liquid
            extraction. Basically in order to seperate two soluble compounds from
            a solvent, you can add an immiscible counter solvent that the desired
            compound to be seperated is more soluble in.

            In this instance the solvent we want to extract from is ethyl alcohol.
            The solvent we want to extract into is olive oil.

            The fusel oils are dissolved in the ethyl alcohol, but are more
            soluble in a more non-polar solvent such as the olive oil. They will
            therefore leave the ethyl alcohol layer in preference to being
            dissolved in the oil.

            My suggestion is that you wash about 1L of ethyl alcohol with
            something that has a little less taste. Try vegetable or canola oil.
            They are cheaper and probably do the job better.

            Rinse the 1L of alcohol 3X with about 50mL of oil, decanting in
            between each wash.

            You now know the basis of liquid-liquid extraction!

            Cheers,

            Bryan.
          • donald holcombe
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 13, 2007
              When using high corn mashes I have seen an oil on top of the likker. I have always been told this was Fusel oil.I was told if you drink it
              [ the oil ] it will Pop your skull.

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 13, 2007
                This [Fusel Oil ] is why i was told to put a piece of Wool in the bottm of my filters.I have always boiled the wool between batches and seen an oil slick on the water after the boil.

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 13, 2007
                  Cheers Bryan, Trid, Harry, Donald et al for your replies.  Methinks I'll give it a try and see what happens.  I daresay it's not for removing "subtle nuances" but a more heavy handed way of improving something really stinky.  I'll try with a bottle of tails and see what happens.

                  Over And Out,
                    Brian.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 13, 2007
                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
                    <blackledge_02@...> wrote:

                    > When using high corn mashes I have seen an oil on top of the
                    likker. I have always been told this was Fusel oil.I was told if you
                    drink it
                    > [ the oil ] it will Pop your skull.

                    Potstills & corn-based mash are notorious for this phenomenon. It's
                    corn oil slick, commonly known as 'Bardy Grease'. This from
                    Foxfire...

                    [ Source: The Foxfire Book
                    "Moonshining as a fine art" pp 339 ]

                    <extract>
                    11. Chunk the fire easy, starting slowly, and gradually building it
                    up in intensity. About fifteen minutes after the beer starts boiling
                    in the still, the steam will hit the cold beer in the thump barrel
                    and start it bubbling and thumping. On cold days, this thumping can
                    be heard for several hundred yards through the woods.
                    When the thumping quiets, the beer is boiling smoothly in the
                    still and doing fine.
                    Place a container under the end of the condenser. A funnel should
                    be inserted in the container which is lined with a clean, fine white
                    cloth on the bottom, a yarn cloth on top of that, and a double
                    handful of washed hickory coals on top of that. The coals remove
                    the "bardy grease" (it shows up as an oil slick on top of the
                    whiskey if not drained off) which can make one very ill.
                    </extract>

                    One of these days I'll get around to putting that chapter up in the
                    Library