Re: will this work for a element control?

  • Firefox
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 12, 2007

      IAs stated in previous replies quite pricey! I constructed a very efficient controller for my 3KW element using a lighting dimmer switch. I replaced the Triac with a 3KW+ power Triac and bypassed the choke, I fried it first LOL. I do realise that radio interference suppression is out the window but I have used it for several years now and it’s still working well.

      Just a little electrical knowledge and soldering practice required. DO NOT ATTEMPT this if not confident and qualified.

      Hope this helps, any comments welcome.

      Bob.

    • anthony547357
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 13, 2007
        I got a controller for about £10 on the web. Also built one from a
        forum design on the web for less than £5. Sutronics charge about £27
        new.

        I fitted in a multimeter to measure voltage and find about 50 volts
        is perfaect once you've got up to temperature.

        Interference. One of the designs included a simple feerite ring, but
        I haven't tried that although it's very straightforward.

        Tony

        -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Firefox" <foxyfoxy50@...> wrote:

        > IAs stated in previous replies quite pricey! I constructed a very
        efficient
        > controller for my 3KW element using a lighting dimmer switch. I
        replaced the
        > Triac with a 3KW+ power Triac and bypassed the choke, I fried it
        first LOL.
        > I do realise that radio interference suppression is out the window
        but I
        > have used it for several years now and it's still working well.
        >

        > Just a little electrical knowledge and soldering practice
        required. DO NOT
        > ATTEMPT this if not confident and qualified.
        >
        > Hope this helps, any comments welcome.
        >
        > Bob.
        >

        > --
        11/02/2007
        > 18:50

      • anthony547357
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
          I think you were expecting a bit much from a light dimmer switch. I
          got my design off the Web or even the Forum. It uses a few simple
          parts (including a largish heat sink and also a fairly hefty Triac
          and Diac) that can be bought for less than £5.

          As a radio ham, I know that interference can be caused, and the
          usual way to cure this is to take a few turns of cable round a
          ferrite ring - I'd wait and see if you have any complaints first.
          The alternative to this is a United Automation controller from
          Southport, Lancs, but these cost around £27. These are very small
          and neat, and I believe are the basis for Sutronics controllers who
          are tart them up and put them in a box - and charge accordingly.

          In the end I got an industrial weight controller off the web and
          added a voltmeter and switch. The latter was not really necessary as
          you can unplug from the socket. The voltmeter is useful, however,
          and can be closely corelated to head temperature which I think is
          useful. I have found around 50 volts ac is typical once you've got
          up steam, driving a 3KW element from a washing machine.

          Tony

          -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Firefox" <foxyfoxy50@...> wrote:

          > IAs stated in previous replies quite pricey! I constructed a very
          efficient
          > controller for my 3KW element using a lighting dimmer switch. I
          replaced the
          > Triac with a 3KW+ power Triac and bypassed the choke, I fried it
          first LOL.
          > I do realise that radio interference suppression is out the window
          but I
          > have used it for several years now and it's still working well.
          >

          > Just a little electrical knowledge and soldering practice
          required. DO NOT
          > ATTEMPT this if not confident and qualified.
          >
          > Hope this helps, any comments welcome.
          >
          > Bob.
          >

          > --
          11/02/2007
          > 18:50

        • Firefox
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2007

            You are obviously quite correct about the heatsink. I used a heavy duty aluminium box and attached the Triac with thermal compound. This works very well, the box does get quite warm but not hot. The Triac I replaced the dimmer switch one with was a 25 Amp so capable of running a 6KW heater. The overall finished job was built for less than £10. I would of liked a switching controller but not cost effective.

            Bob.