Superior alcohol or not?

  • burrows206
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 12, 2007
      Hi guys,
      I was just wondering, I make pretty clean odourless 95% abv. from
      48 hour turbo and add essence or not what ever i feel like, or just
      dilute to a nice clear clean what to me is vodka. Now this suits my
      taste and is probably just laziness on my part because when you add
      coke to enough of them you get langored (or pissed in N.Ireland speak)
      in any case.
      Now I was thinking in our hobby, this vodka of mine, how does it
      compare to the commercial stuff. Anyone who has drank it, has never
      passed me any bad comments about the taste so I'm assuming its ok. But
      is 95% neutral diluted to 45% from a valved reflux still, is it up to
      par with the commercial boys? Just like to have some feed back from
      the forum and your thoughts on this subject. Or am I like the mother
      at her son's army passing out parade when she says
      "Oh look my Johnny is the only one in step, you would think the rest of
      his mates would catch up and get in step with him"
      I..e. Am I the only one who thinks our hobby stuff is mostly superior
      to the commercial stuff or what?
      Geoff
    • subsonic40grain
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 12, 2007
        Send me a sample Geoff and I will give you an honest opinion! 75cl
        should do me - LOL! I agree 100% One thing this site has really
        taught me is to smell, taste and sample everything. So, when I serve
        my Vodka I put it in Smirnoff bottles, nobody ever notices... but
        they probably don't really know Vodka,

        When Todd69K was over I served my 'whiskey' and got a breakdown of
        it's 'qualities'. So I think the answer is the majority of peasants
        wouldn't know the difference as they wouldn't even know what Vodka
        was made from - let alone what it should taste like (with Coke BG!)
        but distillers or true aficionados might.

        But if we all get langored and are happy I guess you have succeeded
        eh and thats cool?

        Subsonic - experimenting with all malt beer making at the mo...

        > Hi guys,
        > I was just wondering, I make pretty clean odourless 95% abv.
        from
        > 48 hour turbo and add essence or not what ever i feel like, or
        just
        > dilute to a nice clear clean what to me is vodka. Now this suits
        my
        > taste and is probably just laziness on my part because when you add
        > coke to enough of them you get langored (or pissed in N.Ireland
        speak)
        > in any case.
        > Now I was thinking in our hobby, this vodka of mine, how does
        it
        > compare to the commercial stuff. Anyone who has drank it, has
        never
        > passed me any bad comments about the taste so I'm assuming its ok.
        But
        > is 95% neutral diluted to 45% from a valved reflux still, is it up
        > par with the commercial boys? Just like to have some feed back
        from
        > the forum and your thoughts on this subject. Or am I like the
        mother
        > at her son's army passing out parade when she says
        > "Oh look my Johnny is the only one in step, you would think the
        rest of
        > his mates would catch up and get in step with him"
        > I..e. Am I the only one who thinks our hobby stuff is mostly
        superior
        > to the commercial stuff or what?
        > Geoff

      • Robert Hubble
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2007
          Hi Geoff,

          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

          >From: "burrows206" <geoff@...>
          >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [Distillers] Superior alcohol or not?
          >Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 16:48:27 -0000
          >
          >Hi guys,
          > I was just wondering, I make pretty clean odourless 95% abv. from
          >48 hour turbo and add essence or not what ever i feel like, or just
          >dilute to a nice clear clean what to me is vodka. Now this suits my
          >taste and is probably just laziness on my part because when you add
          >coke to enough of them you get langored (or pissed in N.Ireland speak)
          >in any case.
          > Now I was thinking in our hobby, this vodka of mine, how does it
          >compare to the commercial stuff. Anyone who has drank it, has never
          >passed me any bad comments about the taste so I'm assuming its ok. But
          >is 95% neutral diluted to 45% from a valved reflux still, is it up to
          >par with the commercial boys? Just like to have some feed back from
          >the forum and your thoughts on this subject. Or am I like the mother
          >at her son's army passing out parade when she says
          >"Oh look my Johnny is the only one in step, you would think the rest of
          >his mates would catch up and get in step with him"
          >I..e. Am I the only one who thinks our hobby stuff is mostly superior
          >to the commercial stuff or what?

          Absolutely NOT! While I have to accept that "mostly" qualifier, I truly
          believe
          that if I live long enough and still often enough, I can match or best
          anything
          out there. If I'm wrong, what the hell - I'm having a great time and
          drinking
          some great stuff, most of it mine, but some from subsonic.

          A large aspect of commercial alcohol is that quality is often driven by
          economic
          concerns that we needn't worry about. There's no reason our product
          shouldn't be as good as anything out there. As long as we keep learning
          and tasting, of course.
          >Geoff

          http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0020000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=hmtagline
        • Kevin
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 14, 2007
            I recommend doing as I did-
            Get 5 shot glasses. Put a piece of masking tape on the bottom of
            each, and label them 1-5. The put your vodka, and 4 store bought
            vodkas in the other (make sure you get greygoose and belvedere in
            there) write down in a notebook which shotglass contains which vodka.
            have a few friends over to first smell test, and then taste test them.
            Mine won hands down in the blind test for both taste and smell. now
            mine is refluxed and carbon filtered, but i'd guess you'll end up with
            similar results.
            Cheers!