Calling all Scotch afficionados

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 11, 2007

      Ever wonder what the secrets to Islay malt whiskies are?
      Now you can find out.  Mal Taylor (Duds2u) has put together
      a summary set of facts to help you understand and
      possibly reproduce some of these fine expressions.
      Fascinating reading.

      http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/IslayFacts/Islay_Distilleries_Factfiles.htm

    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 12, 2007
        Excellent information, thank you Mal and Harry! It's quite
        interesting to note that the ABV of low wines can be as low as 25%.
        I usually end up in the low 30% myself. This is especially important
        if you do cuts by ABV, higher starting ABV will necessitate you to
        take cuts at higher ABV as well.

        Cheers, Riku

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 12, 2007

          > Excellent information, thank you Mal and Harry! It's quite
          > interesting to note that the ABV of low wines can be as low as 25%.
          > I usually end up in the low 30% myself. This is especially important
          > if you do cuts by ABV, higher starting ABV will necessitate you to
          > take cuts at higher ABV as well.
          >
          > Cheers, Riku

          There's quite a few points in this info that have been debated at
          length in the groups. Things like...

          a) Deliberate low-strength wash (6.5% to 9.0%).
          b) The use of two different yeasts in a ferment.
          c) Low wines charge strength (22% to 25%) adjusted UPWARDS to 28% for
          2nd distillation (still a low start point), presumably by the addition
          of higher strength feints.

          Most of these ideas I have written about before, either in posts
          (Glenmorangie Clone)or in papers such as this one...
          http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Diluting_the_still_charge/

          Commercial distillers don't use high ABV washes, nor high-strength 2nd
          runnings charges (although they easily could if they wished, given
          today's technology and bean-counters penchant for reducing production
          costs wherever they can, such as energy input).

          So, ask yourselves why. Risk of explosion? Probably. Inferior
          product? Most likely. Tradition? Obviously.
          Is the 2nd charge starting strength designed to hit a precise
          percentage range in final product? Certainly. That was what I
          outlined in the "Diluting the still charge" paper.

          I've said before & I'll say it again. I don't understand the modern
          hobbyists obsession with turbo yeasts, high strength washes and final
          runnings. Yes it works and is a 'quick & dirty' way of producing an
          ordinary spirit. But surely it can be seen that such differences,
          even small ones, will produce a spirit lacking in flavour & body, and
          nothing like the $100 a bottle brands that tempted us to try our hand
          in the first place?

          Oh well, to each his own. But thanks to Mal's summary, we now have
          proof positive that good spirits are crafted by methods vastly
          different to what many hobbyists think is intuitive. Food for thought.

        • duds2u
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 12, 2007

            > Ever wonder what the secrets to Islay malt whiskies are?
            > Now you can find out. Mal Taylor (Duds2u) has put together
            > a summary set of facts to help you understand and
            > possibly reproduce some of these fine expressions.
            > Fascinating reading.
            >
            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

            If you can get hold of the book, 'Peat Smoke and Spirits" by Andrew
            Jefford it is well worth the read as there are quite a few
            other "nuggets" in the text. The book is essentially a journey
            through the history of Islay and the island itself but with an
            emphasis on malt whisky. Each of the distilleries has a chapter
            devoted to it's history and operations.
            For Queenslanders check out the QLD Book Depot as they recently had
            them on special for AUD$5 instead of the usual AUD$36.
            Cheers
            Mal T.
          • anthony547357
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 13, 2007
              -This seems to raise an interseting point on using Tubo yeast. Turbo
              appears to give around 18% wash whereas ordinary dried yeast gives
              perhaps 12 or 13%ABV in a longer space of time. So where's the sugar
              conversion gone? Presumably they both give 5 gallons of wash, give
              or take? I would imagine the higher ABV yields more alcohol, but as
              Harry suggests, there may be some penalty in flavour.

              Tony

              -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Excellent information, thank you Mal and Harry! It's quite
              > > interesting to note that the ABV of low wines can be as low as
              25%.
              > > I usually end up in the low 30% myself. This is especially
              important
              > > if you do cuts by ABV, higher starting ABV will necessitate you
              > > take cuts at higher ABV as well.
              > >
              > > Cheers, Riku
              >

              > There's quite a few points in this info that have been debated at
              > length in the groups. Things like...
              >
              > a) Deliberate low-strength wash (6.5% to 9.0%).
              > b) The use of two different yeasts in a ferment.
              > c) Low wines charge strength (22% to 25%) adjusted UPWARDS to 28%
              for
              > 2nd distillation (still a low start point), presumably by the
              addition
              > of higher strength feints.
              >
              > Most of these ideas I have written about before, either in posts
              > (Glenmorangie Clone)or in papers such as this one...
              > http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Diluting_the_still_charge/
              >
              > Commercial distillers don't use high ABV washes, nor high-strength
              2nd
              > runnings charges (although they easily could if they wished, given
              > today's technology and bean-counters penchant for reducing
              production
              > costs wherever they can, such as energy input).
              >
              > So, ask yourselves why. Risk of explosion? Probably. Inferior
              > product? Most likely. Tradition? Obviously.
              > Is the 2nd charge starting strength designed to hit a precise
              > percentage range in final product? Certainly. That was what I
              > outlined in the "Diluting the still charge" paper.
              >
              > I've said before & I'll say it again. I don't understand the
              modern
              > hobbyists obsession with turbo yeasts, high strength washes and
              final
              > runnings. Yes it works and is a 'quick & dirty' way of producing
              an
              > ordinary spirit. But surely it can be seen that such differences,
              > even small ones, will produce a spirit lacking in flavour & body,
              and
              > nothing like the $100 a bottle brands that tempted us to try our
              hand
              > in the first place?
              >
              > Oh well, to each his own. But thanks to Mal's summary, we now
              have
              > proof positive that good spirits are crafted by methods vastly
              > different to what many hobbyists think is intuitive. Food for
              thought.

              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry

            • Sven Pfitt
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 14, 2007
                The sugar hasn't gone anywhere.

                You start the bakers yeast wash at a lower specific gravity (less
                sugar to start with). Both end up with no sugar left.

                If you start both with the same amount of sugar (say 8KG for 5
                gallons) then the bakers yeast will poop out with sugar left in the
                wash which will cause foaming and possibly burnt sugar flavors in the
                product.

                Theoretically.

                Sven

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "anthony547357"
                <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > >
                > > I've said before & I'll say it again. I don't understand the
                > modern
                > > hobbyists obsession with turbo yeasts, high strength washes and
                > final
                > > runnings. Yes it works and is a 'quick & dirty' way of producing
                > an
                > > ordinary spirit. But surely it can be seen that such
                differences,
                > > even small ones, will produce a spirit lacking in flavour & body,
                > and
                > > nothing like the $100 a bottle brands that tempted us to try our
                > hand
                > > in the first place?
                > >
                > > Oh well, to each his own. But thanks to Mal's summary, we now
                > have
                > > proof positive that good spirits are crafted by methods vastly
                > > different to what many hobbyists think is intuitive. Food for

              • abbababbaccc
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 14, 2007
                  Sven,

                  I have understood that the reason for foaming are proteins in the mash,
                  not sugar?

                  Cheers, Riku

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@...> wrote:

                  > The sugar hasn't gone anywhere.
                  >
                  > You start the bakers yeast wash at a lower specific gravity (less
                  > sugar to start with). Both end up with no sugar left.
                  >
                  > If you start both with the same amount of sugar (say 8KG for 5
                  > gallons) then the bakers yeast will poop out with sugar left in the
                  > wash which will cause foaming and possibly burnt sugar flavors in the
                  > product.
                  >
                  > Theoretically.
                  >
                  > Sven

                • lionchow
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 15, 2007
                    That's a great document, thanks.

                    Cheers,

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "duds2u" <taylormc@...> wrote:

                    > > Ever wonder what the secrets to Islay malt whiskies are?
                    > > Now you can find out. Mal Taylor (Duds2u) has put together
                    > > a summary set of facts to help you understand and
                    > > possibly reproduce some of these fine expressions.
                    > > Fascinating reading.
                    > >
                    > > Slainte!
                    > > regards Harry
                    > >
                    > If you can get hold of the book, 'Peat Smoke and Spirits" by Andrew
                    > Jefford it is well worth the read as there are quite a few
                    > other "nuggets" in the text. The book is essentially a journey
                    > through the history of Islay and the island itself but with an
                    > emphasis on malt whisky. Each of the distilleries has a chapter
                    > devoted to it's history and operations.
                    > For Queenslanders check out the QLD Book Depot as they recently had
                    > them on special for AUD$5 instead of the usual AUD$36.
                    > Cheers
                    > Mal T.

                  • surya9375
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 15, 2007
                      Hi guys
                      Just to be of some input. Although for my first distillations I used
                      turbo and the sort, now I just use ordinary bakers yeast. The best I
                      get out of it is 9% mostly 8%. As for taste?? I make vodka and I put
                      the product through a real good process. I let it mature (yeah I
                      mature vodka :-) ) Carbon filtration and the works. So I guess even
                      if there was an off taste I wouldn't know.

                      But the point is that with bakers yeast I have never got more than 9%
                      in the mash.

                      Regards
                      Surya

                      <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > >
                      > > I've said before & I'll say it again. I don't understand the
                      > modern
                      > > hobbyists obsession with turbo yeasts, high strength washes and
                      > final
                      > > runnings. Yes it works and is a 'quick & dirty' way of producing
                      > an
                      > > ordinary spirit. But surely it can be seen that such differences,
                      > > even small ones, will produce a spirit lacking in flavour & body,
                      > and
                      > > nothing like the $100 a bottle brands that tempted us to try our
                      > hand
                      > > in the first place?
                      > >
                      > > Oh well, to each his own. But thanks to Mal's summary, we now
                      > have
                      > > proof positive that good spirits are crafted by methods vastly
                      > > different to what many hobbyists think is intuitive. Food for

                    • Sven Pfitt
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 19, 2007
                        I believe bakers yeast can handle 10# of sugar in a 5 gallon wash
                        (1.092 OG).

                        This would be 12.23%abv.

                        I suspect that it would take a good bit longer for the yeast to
                        deplete all the sugar, but it would do it. It will probably also
                        produce more byproducts since the yeast will be stressed more than in
                        a lower wash.

                        8# of sugar in a 5 gallon wash (1.074 OG) would be 9.79%abv and would
                        probabaly finish a good bit quicker and be cleaner.

                        Sven
                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "surya9375" <surya9375@...> wrote:

                        > Hi guys
                        > Just to be of some input. Although for my first distillations I used
                        > turbo and the sort, now I just use ordinary bakers yeast. The best I
                        > get out of it is 9% mostly 8%. As for taste?? I make vodka and I put
                        > the product through a real good process. I let it mature (yeah I
                        > mature vodka :-) ) Carbon filtration and the works. So I guess
                        even
                        > if there was an off taste I wouldn't know.
                        >
                        > But the point is that with bakers yeast I have never got more than
                        9%
                        > in the mash.
                        >
                        > Regards
                        > Surya
                        >
                        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "anthony547357"
                        > <Anthony.Athawes@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > -This seems to raise an interseting point on using Tubo yeast.
                        Turbo
                        > > appears to give around 18% wash whereas ordinary dried yeast
                        gives
                        > > perhaps 12 or 13%ABV in a longer space of time.

                        ...snip....