Re: My new grappa

  • miciofelice2003
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 9, 2007
      Hi Geo: I'm a "little" bit late in answering, but ... I didn't read
      your question.

      Sorry for it.

      Anyway: I got the first run at an average percentage of alcohool of
      68 - 70 %.

      The second was a little bit more: about 73 - 75%.

      Yes, I use water to cut the percentage.

      I dilute the first run to 20 - 22 % of alcohool, or even less by
      using normal tap water: I do this 48 hours, or a little bit more,
      after the first distillation to give time to the spirit to make some
      chemical reactions (old people are used to say that the spirit has to
      rest for a while).

      Then I re-distil a second time.

      I dilute (of course) the final spirit: some people suggest to use
      distilled water to avoid to add flavours that doesn't belong to the
      distillate: I used a particular mineral water, quite poor in mineral
      salts (is an "oligo mineral" water) and I also wanted to use some
      water of my tap: the result was very satisfying, specially with the
      second one.

      Normally I wait two weeks before to dilute the final spirit: I let
      the stopper not forced to close the bottle but just on the bottle.

      Old people (Claudio says) say that the distillate must "see the sun
      for a while": in my opinion, in the past times they were not so
      scientific in methyl separation, so they were used to "help" that
      separation in that way.

      I use the french method: a fast first run, where I keep heads, hearth
      and tails and I push the top column temperature up to 98 - 99 °C.

      The second run is made with a lot of accuracy.

      To lose some flavours? No, in my opinion not, if the first run is
      made as I said.

      Cloudiness: is due to two facts. Or you run into tails, so fat
      alcohools are into your distillate, or you used a salt-rich water to
      dilute the final spirit (or both).

      They say to freeze to minus 20 °C your spirit and then to filter it
      (staying with spirit, filter, hands at that temperature: quite
      masochistic.

      So, dear Geo, I hope you will be satisfied by my answer, even if very
      late.

      I apologize one more time for this.

      Ciao to you and to all the forum
      from

      micio felice

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "georomios" <georomios@...> wrote:

      > Ciao Micio,
      >
      > Great news indeed! I wish I could be there to try your output.
      >
      > I have a couple of questions though.
      >
      > Do you know what the average percentage of alcohol was in each of
      > your two runs? I assume that you are going to cut down the
      > percentage by adding water. How long are you going to wait until
      > you dilute it to the desired percentage? A few days or a few
      months?

      > And your friend said that he re-distils it again to improve it.
      > Does he dilute it first, and then re-distil it? And wouldn't re-
      > distilling take some of the flavour away?
      >
      > I have a few months before I try again next year. This year's
      > output was not very good at all and I have not found what caused
      the
      > cloudiness which not even double distilling would remove. So I am
      > going to redistill it again and filter it this time. I heard that
      > some people started producing vodka out of grapes! So I am going
      > try this, until my next batch of grapes come off the vines in a few
      > months!
      >
      > Ciao
      >
      > Geo

    • georomios
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 13, 2007
        Hi Micio,

        Thanks for all the information and don't worry about the delay, I
        have not started yet my next batch yet, the grapes are not ready yet
        on the vines here down under!

        I will follow your advise of the two step distillation, including
        the giving the product a bit of a rest before diluting it down as
        the older people do, there must be a good reason for doing that,
        tradition and experience are very valuable, even when we can not
        understand the science behind it.

        Regarding last years production and my "cloudy spirit" problem
        eventually I resolved it but I still do not know what caused it.
        For the dilution of the second time distillation I used distilled
        water which I bought but the cloudiness was still there. I was also
        very careful with the cut so there would not be any tails. As this
        also failed I mixed all what I had, once or twice distilled, and put
        it through carbon filtration. The result was a brilliant crystal
        clear spirit, lighter in taste than previously, but I would suggest
        that the taste is more refined, more subtle, much better than
        anything that I had before.

        So my theory now is that the cloudiness must have been caused by
        some spray chemicals that had been used by the grower of the grapes
        and which I was unable to remove through distillation but I managed
        to remove it through carbon filtration. Having learned one more
        lesson, this year I will be going back to the grape grower that I
        bought grapes the year before when I had no such problems.

        And following your advice also!

        Thanks a lot

        Ciao

        Geo

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "miciofelice2003"
        <miciofelice2003@...> wrote:

> [...]
        until
        > > you dilute it to the desired percentage? A few days or a few
        > months?
        > >
        > > And your friend said that he re-distils it again to improve it.
        > > Does he dilute it first, and then re-distil it? And wouldn't re-
        > > distilling take some of the flavour away?
        > >
        > > I have a few months before I try again next year. This year's
        > > output was not very good at all and I have not found what caused
        > the
        > > cloudiness which not even double distilling would remove. So I
        am
        > > going to redistill it again and filter it this time. I heard
        that
        > > some people started producing vodka out of grapes! So I am
        going
        > > try this, until my next batch of grapes come off the vines in a

      • surya9375
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 15, 2007
          Are you using any form of plastic anywhere in the process??? Try
          removing it and give it a shot.

          <Snip>
          > Regarding last years production and my "cloudy spirit" problem
          > eventually I resolved it but I still do not know what caused it.
          <Snip>

          Regards
          Surya.
        • Benjamin Bof
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 16, 2007
            Surya, we get twenty feet long bamboo four inches diameter. We try to
            drill it to form a tube. Is necessary some treatment for avoid
            splitting?. In charcoalmaking are used to recover piroligneous liquid
            and tar. Then resist high temperature.
            Regards, Benjamin

            On 2/16/07, surya9375 <surya9375@...> wrote:
            > Are you using any form of plastic anywhere in the process??? Try
            > removing it and give it a shot.
            >
            > <Snip>
            > > Regarding last years production and my "cloudy spirit" problem
            > > eventually I resolved it but I still do not know what caused it.
            > <Snip>
            >

            > Regards
            > Surya.

          • georomios
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 16, 2007
              Thanks for the suggestion Surya,

              There is no plastic in the whole setup at all

              Geo

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "surya9375" <surya9375@...> wrote:

              > Are you using any form of plastic anywhere in the process??? Try
              > removing it and give it a shot.
              >
              > <Snip>
              > > Regarding last years production and my "cloudy spirit" problem
              > > eventually I resolved it but I still do not know what caused
              it.
              > <Snip>
              >

              > Regards
              > Surya.