Staged yeast introduction

  • morganfield1
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2007
      Hello, All,

      Just an update for those following this thread, The wash finished
      out with F.G. of .98. The mash was to thick with solids to take an
      O.G., being on the grain. I ran it twice thru, as usual, the first
      go was as usual. On the second run, the (un-packed) column equalized
      at 176.5, which was higher than usual. The entire run was higher
      than usual, but the product had nice taste, which I guess is the
      bottom line. A 5 gal. wash yealded 2.5 ltrs at an average of 73%. As
      we just got hit with 2 feet of snow, I'll have to go dig out the
      wood pile to make charcoal.

      In closing, I would have to say, so far, it wasn't worth the risk of
      infection. On the other hand, it wasn't that much more effort, and
      after aging, it may turn out to be one of my better efforts. The fly
      in the mash, so to speak, is that I also used dextrose instead of
      table sugar this time(happened to be on the shelf when I was buying
      the yeast). So what was it, the yeast being staged, or the dextrose?
      I'm leaning toward the dextrose.
      Any comments.

      Tip one, Morgan