Re: column isolation

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 34 , Feb 4, 2007
      It's a bit tough to say what's optimum. Long column gives better
      separation but at some point we hit practical issues. The packing will
      hold certain amount of ethanol (that may be lost as a product), column
      is too tall to operate in house and heat losses become a problem as the
      vaporspeed varies within the column. The longest columns I've tried had
      1.8 meters packed height and there was a noticeable difference to 1
      meter columns. I like many others have 2.5 meter ceiling limit which in
      practise means that 2 meters is the longest column I can use.

      The book, well, I wrote some new stuff about electronically controlled
      stills and that has to be incorporated. Mike is currently fixing those
      drawings and overall it will take some more time. The good thing is
      that the longer it takes the more complete it will be...

      Cheers, Riku

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

      > Hi Riku,
      > 1to2 mtrs. column height?, what do you think is the optimum height
      for a 2in. and 3in. column to virtually rid us of

      Message 34 of 34 , Feb 5, 2007
        This might be of some interest!

        Den Nederlandtsen Hovenier (1670)
        http://www.zum.de/stueber/groen/high/IMG_6000.html
        http://www.zum.de/stueber/groen/icon_page_00252.html
        wal

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Aad Van Roosmalen"
        <amc.van.roosmalen@...> wrote:

        > Hoi Every one
        > As soon as I read abouth "the new discovered distilling art" I
        asked our librarian abouth it. But no luck.
        > We had a big fire a few years back and a great part of the library
        went up in smoke or in the used firefighting waters.