Re: [Distillers] Re: column isolation

  • joe giffen
    Message 1 of 34 , Feb 4, 2007
      Hi Riku,
      1to2 mtrs. column height?, what do you think is the optimum height for a 2in. and 3in. column to virtually rid us of
      ethyl acetate ?.
      By the way is your book available yet?.
      Regards
      Joe

      abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:
      I have two more powerful boilers, one 30 liters that has 1kW element
      and two 2kW elements for powers up to 5kW. Then I have ~100 liters
      boiler with three 1 kW elements. The big one is somewhat impractical
      as I only do 25 liters mashes.

      We home distillers aiming for neutral alcohol do mashes from sugar,
      thus we have only extremely small amount of methanol in our mashes
      (as we all know methanol is the result of pectine fermentation) . The
      major unwanted congener in our case is ethyl acetate. The problem we
      face is that ethyl acetate boils at 77C (IIRC) thus having only 1.2C
      boiling point difference to ethanol. Basically we dump everything
      below 78.2C and draw off the alcohol very slowly but still a we get
      some 10-20% of alcohol tainted with ethyl acetate. We could of course
      fix that by introducing more theoretical plates to our column, but
      unfortunately we are typically space and fund limited so we tend to
      settle at ~1-2m column height.

      Cheers, Riku

      Cheers, Riku

      --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "Aad Van Roosmalen"
      <amc.van.roosmalen@ ...> wrote:

      > Hai Riku
      > I am suprised bij the amount of power you use, how big is your
      boiler? The biggest one I have is 30 liters but I use a gasburner,
      so I dont know how much that in KW.s.

      > The best way to separate the ethyl acetate and methanol is to start
      with 100% reflux to collect the rubbish in the top of the columnand
      than get rid of it.
      > But we use a I think perfect help, a thermometer we do every thing
      bij temperature. there is a themometer in every column under the
      condenser at the point where you collect or reflux.
      > As long as the temperatur below the boilingpoint of the rubbish
      (methanol=64. 7 C) you can dump it.
      > That is the way, we in our factory, do all the destillations, on
      temperature and it works for more than 100 years.
      > For the price I think it will not be a problem al you have to know
      are the boilingpoints of the unwanted parts of the wash.
      > It help that methanol is worst one but also the one with highest
      boiling point, so every thing below 64.7C is not what you want.
      > I hope you can do anything with this.
      > Proost Aad

      ------------
      > Mijn Postvak In wordt beschermd door SPAMfighter
      > 8373 spam-mails zijn er tot op heden geblokkeerd.
      > Download de gratis SPAMfighter vandaag nog!

      Regards
      Joe

      Message 34 of 34 , Feb 5, 2007
        This might be of some interest!

        Den Nederlandtsen Hovenier (1670)
        http://www.zum.de/stueber/groen/high/IMG_6000.html
        http://www.zum.de/stueber/groen/icon_page_00252.html
        wal

        <amc.van.roosmalen@...> wrote:

        > Hoi Every one
        > As soon as I read abouth "the new discovered distilling art" I
        asked our librarian abouth it. But no luck.
        > We had a big fire a few years back and a great part of the library
        went up in smoke or in the used firefighting waters.