Re: column isolation

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 34 , Jan 31, 2007
      Godday Aad,

      No, I'm not mixing up things. We all know that height makes purity
      and width is required for more power. 2" columns are typically run at
      1kW. The reason for 4" column is that it allows the use of 4kW
      heating power, thus in theory allowing 4 times faster distillation of
      a batch. Unfortunately theory and practise do differ some and the
      principles that were used for 2" column do not entirely apply to 4"
      column. That's the reason I asked whether you had experience on the
      subject.

      That 1:32 reflux ratio you mention is not very high, are you using it
      to separate ethyl acetate from ethanol? That's the trickiest part in
      hobby distillation. As we normally do batches we let the column stay
      at full reflux first and then slowly bleed off those nasties.

      Cheers, Riku

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Aad Van Roosmalen"
      <amc.van.roosmalen@...> wrote:

      > Hoi Abaetc
      > I first had ask somebody wat you mean by HETP that was for me
      unknown but we have a lot of "foreigners" in the company and they
      are willing to share their knowledge with me.
      > So now I know what you mean.
      > I think that you are mixing up some things. You only needs a larger
      diameter column when you have a larger heat source .
      > The diameter makes the Quantity The lenght makes the Quality.
      > But what you said abouth the reflux is right on the dot.
      > I work in a distillery and when we need the maximum number of
      plates a column can offer we go to a reflux of 97%.
      > At that moment we only get 3% out of the column and 97% go back in,
      then we get in some columns up to 30 plates,and believe me that is a
      lot.

      Message 34 of 34 , Feb 5, 2007
        This might be of some interest!

        Den Nederlandtsen Hovenier (1670)
        http://www.zum.de/stueber/groen/high/IMG_6000.html
        http://www.zum.de/stueber/groen/icon_page_00252.html
        wal

        <amc.van.roosmalen@...> wrote:

        > Hoi Every one
        > As soon as I read abouth "the new discovered distilling art" I
        asked our librarian abouth it. But no luck.
        > We had a big fire a few years back and a great part of the library
        went up in smoke or in the used firefighting waters.