Re: madrone

  • goyeast
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 5, 2001
      In Portugal there is a spirit called Medrohno(sp?)
      > which also suposedly has psychoactive properties. It is distilled
      with some
      > part of the strawberry tree. Large companies are just starting to
      bottle it.
      > It was only previously found in a small region. I have a bottle but
      still
      > need to drink some to see what happens. Peter Kruse

      Please post your experience with "Medrohno," as I've been thinking of
      using the berries from a close California relative of the strawberry
      tree (Arbutus unedo) called Pacific Madrone (Arbutus menziesii).
      It's the red berries of both species that are used to make a strong
      wine, both here and commercially in Spain, and now in China. FYI,
      for anyone interested in using raw Pacific Madrone berries, beware
      that they contain HCN, although the concentration is apparently not
      enough to hurt you. At any rate, if you want to be careful, cooking
      the berries will remove the poison and apparently has no negative
      influence on the resulting wine.

      Here's a link to the Chinese Madrone wine:
      http://www.ningbo-export.com/yongcheng/intro.htm
    • maxime belair
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 2003
        Hehe! Really? I didn't know some people smoked
        wormwood! I'll try to find it, thanks for the info.

        Max B.

        Hi Max,
        > i have grown wormwood myself. i got the seeds from
        > scotland but many
        > shops sell online. they are very easy to grow
        > needing very little
        > attention. the seeds are tiny so you get lots. i
        > never made absinthe
        > with them though. you may be able to get dry
        > wormwood in "head shops"
        > or shops that sell cannabis pipes etc. it can be
        > used to mix with
        > cannabis in cigarettes or smoked on its own for a
        > mild high.
        >
        > Peter

        Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
        magasinage.yahoo.ca
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3, 2003
          Wormwood is traditionally used to rid the body of worms - a decoction
          or tincture is a better way to go. Smoke contains harmful substances.

          Decoction: 1 part herb:32 parts water
          Tincture: 1 part herb:4 parts alcohol (25-50%bv)

          Wal

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, maxime belair <maxime_belair@y...>
          wrote:
          > Hehe! Really? I didn't know some people smoked
          > wormwood! I'll try to find it, thanks for the info.
          >
          > Max B.
          >
          > Hi Max,
          > > i have grown wormwood myself. i got the seeds from
          > > scotland but many
          > > shops sell online. they are very easy to grow
          > > needing very little
          > > attention. the seeds are tiny so you get lots. i
          > > never made absinthe
          > > with them though. you may be able to get dry
          > > wormwood in "head shops"
          > > or shops that sell cannabis pipes etc. it can be
          > > used to mix with
          > > cannabis in cigarettes or smoked on its own for a
          > > mild high.
          > >
          > > Peter

          > Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
          > magasinage.yahoo.ca
        • maxime belair
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 7, 2003
            Hi,

            Yesterday I went in a very big shop of cannabis
            pipes and accessories. I asked for dried wormwood or
            absinthe and the guy told me he didn't have it. He
            didn't seemed to know what it is. Is wormwood known
            under an other name than absinthe?

            I hope I'll finally find some wormwood one day,
            if you have any ideas of where I could get it here in
            Canada, Quebec feel free to answer.

            Max B.

            ======

            : > Hi Max,
            > i have grown wormwood myself. i got the seeds from
            > scotland but many
            > shops sell online. they are very easy to grow
            > needing very little
            > attention. the seeds are tiny so you get lots. i
            > never made absinthe
            > with them though. you may be able to get dry
            > wormwood in "head shops"
            > or shops that sell cannabis pipes etc. it can be
            > used to mix with
            > cannabis in cigarettes or smoked on its own for a
            > mild high.
            >
            > Peter

            Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
            magasinage.yahoo.ca
          • ethan_olman
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 7, 2003
              Try looking for Artemisia Absinthia at www.herbalcom.com. They also
              have other herbs frequently used for absinthe and pastis-style
              beverages.

              Ethan

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 7, 2003
                Correction -

                Look under W for Wormwood (Artemisia Absinthium) at
                www.herbalcom.com...
              • joe giffen
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 13, 2005
                  Hi,
                  I have recently been communicating with the green fairy (my spirit others essenses) and would like to make my own absinthe from scratch.I have redundant greenhouse capablity and think it would be interesting to grow most if not all of the herbs required.I would be grateful for any input,advise from the group.thanking you in advance.
                  Regards
                  Joe

                • Kevin
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 13, 2005
                    My suggestion, check out www.absinthekits.org, and www.greendevil.com.
                    There you can buy the herb kits to get an idea of what portions you
                    need to use. I just got a kit from absinthekits. It's VERY strong.
                    there is a very large amount of wormwood use, so it's VERY bitter, but
                    the thujone level is high. Also, absinthekits doesn't use as many
                    herbs as green devil does. Check them both out and get one or the
                    other. See if they can send the herbs in seperate containers. then
                    you'lll know the right portions.
                    Kevin

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@y...> wrote:
                    > Hi,
                    > I have recently been communicating with the green fairy (my spirit
                    others essenses) and would like to make my own absinthe from scratch.I
                    have redundant greenhouse capablity and think it would be interesting
                    to grow most if not all of the herbs required.I would be grateful for
                    any input,advise from the group.thanking you in advance.
                    > Regards
                    > Joe

                  • Sven Pfitt
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 13, 2005
                      Thujon is pretty much an overblown subject. Recent Gas Chromatograph
                      analysis of original absinthe indicated the levels were way down at
                      10ppm.

                      Go to http://oxygenee.com/absintheFAQ1.html and check out links there
                      to historical documents.

                      The kits on the web are a rip off and are meant for making tintures
                      not Absinthe. They suck. And yes they are very bitter. They can also
                      make you sick.

                      Sven