Fw: [Distillers] Re: Absinthe - has anyone tried making it?

  • glen
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2001
      page didnt load in?

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "goyeast" <goyeast@...>
      To: <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2001 11:35 AM
      Subject: [Distillers] Re: Absinthe - has anyone tried making it?

      > In an earlier post, I wrote that thujone is a suspected toxin.
      > Well, it looks like the specific mechanism of its toxicity has been
      > discovered. Here's an article that explains the research if anyone
      > is interested:
      >
      > "Toxin in absinthe makes neurons run wild.(alpha-thujone)(Brief
      > Article)" --
      >
      > http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m1200/14_157/61617774/p1/article.jhtm
      >

      > --- In Distillers@y..., Ian Macsween <ianelamacsween@s...> wrote:
      > > I'd like to know if the drink that drove artists and poets nuts at
      > the turn of the century (not the recent one) is all that it is
      > cracked up to be. Does absinthe make the heart grow fonder? Ian

    • goyeast
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2001
        Sorry. It looks like the "l" in "jhtml" was cut off.

        Here it is again:

        http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m1200/14_157/61617774/p1/article.jhtm

        If this doesn't work, highlight the url, and cut and paste.

        Regards,
        Scott

        --- In Distillers@y..., "glen" <warranty@p...> wrote:
        > page didnt load in?

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Matt
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 5, 2001
          On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 01:36:27AM -0000, goyeast wrote:
          > Sorry. It looks like the "l" in "jhtml" was cut off.
          >
          > Here it is again:
          >
          > http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m1200/14_157/61617774/p1/article.jhtm

          ^^^ cut and paste having a run-in with word wrapping .. cut and paste
          and attach the "l" like goyeast says :)

          good find...not sure why my but my favorite bit is: "However, these new
          results reveal potential uses for alpha-thujone. 'A lot of insecticides
          work on GABA receptors,' notes Hold."

          Matthew @ psibercom
        • goyeast
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 5, 2001
            > good find...not sure why my but my favorite bit is: "However, these
            new results reveal potential uses for alpha-thujone. 'A lot of
            insecticides work on GABA receptors,' notes Hold."

            The funny thing is that a lot of artemisia species have been used as
            flea and moth repellants for thousands of years in many different
            cultures, yet these guys act like they've discovered something new.