Re: Protien bloom in all grain wash

  • goyeast@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2001
      --- In Distillers@y..., "klcampbell" <klcampbell@o...> wrote:
      > G'day gang,just a quick question,my all grain wash has fermented
      out from 1.058 to zero and I was wondering if I should now wait for
      it to settle or hit with finings or just go ahead and run it?.Any
      advice will be greatly appreciated,Regards,Ken.

      I would hit it with finings or let it settle. Even just three or
      four days of settling would be better than running it while it's
      cloudy. The yeast will burst during distillation and add a "nasty"
      flavor to your whiskey. In fact, my friend (who has a very good
      sense of smell) claims that one of my batches smells "yeasty," and
      what do you know, that was the batch that I didn't let settle. I
      can't smell it, though.