Protien bloom in all grain wash

  • klcampbell
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2001
      G'day gang,just a quick question,my all grain wash has fermented out from 1.058 to zero and I was wondering if I should now wait for it to settle or hit with finings or just go ahead and run it?.Any advice will be greatly appreciated,Regards,Ken.
    • goyeast@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2001
        --- In Distillers@y..., "klcampbell" <klcampbell@o...> wrote:
        > G'day gang,just a quick question,my all grain wash has fermented
        out from 1.058 to zero and I was wondering if I should now wait for
        it to settle or hit with finings or just go ahead and run it?.Any
        advice will be greatly appreciated,Regards,Ken.

        I would hit it with finings or let it settle. Even just three or
        four days of settling would be better than running it while it's
        cloudy. The yeast will burst during distillation and add a "nasty"
        flavor to your whiskey. In fact, my friend (who has a very good
        sense of smell) claims that one of my batches smells "yeasty," and
        what do you know, that was the batch that I didn't let settle. I
        can't smell it, though.