Crystals and dilution

  • king edward potatohead
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2001
      A while back there was a posting on Blackberry Eau de vie and strange crystals appearing on
      dilution with sparkling mineral water,

      I had hunch that this might be similar to the way capsacin behaves - it's purified by soaking
      chillis in organic solvent, then blasting CO2 through the solution. the capsacin forms a
      complex with CO2 and drops out of solution.

      I've tried diluting a couple of Eau de vies( apple and rowanberry ) to 40% with carbonated and
      non carbonated water - both of them produced crystals with carbonated water but not with
      still water ( the rowan produced by far the most ), aerate the cloudy mixture well and the
      crystals redissolve - eventualy.

      Looks like it's something in the ester or aromatics line dropping out of solution. I might try
      collecting a load of the crystals and see what sort of flavour they come out with,
      Strounge

      Beer Mail, brought to you by your friends at beer.com.