Re: [Distillers] column packing

  • klcampbell
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2001
      Voodoo,be cautious of ,1,packing for your column that is "highly porous" and "2"using it as a filter medium?,usually things like Raschig rings are fully glazed and non absorbent.
      Regards,Ken.
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2001
        << Voodoo,be cautious of ,1,packing for your column that is "highly porous"

        Why?
        ---
      • voodoo_klan
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 12, 2001
          ok friends i'm currently going for a second round of opinions
          heres my origanal posts

          keep in ming that i am currently using ss pot scrubbers...but always
          interested in upgradeing

          heres my origanl post

          -----------------------------
          dear friends

          as i was walking around Petsmart in the united states i came across a
          medium that i thought would work perfect as column packing. if
          anyone has any suggestions or concrerns about safety or anything else
          please email back.

          found the corporate website for the product although not too much
          info on it. about the same amout thats on the box. please write back.

          http://www.hydor.com/index_en.htm

          made by hydor,
          called hyker,
          used as fiter media,
          inert ceramic cylinders,
          highly porous structure,
          offers a large surface area,
          absolutely non-toxic....

          what does everyone think???????
        • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 12, 2001
            > http://www.hydor.com/index_en.htm
            > made by hydor, called hyker, inert ceramic cylinders,

            Look like a suitable alternative to use as raschig rings (if you wanted to
            go down that path). They'll have less surface area per volume than
            scrubbers (thus not give the same performance - eg you'll need a taller
            column to get the same results as now), but likewise will be less prone to
            clogging up with gunge - say you find that your column is really sensitive
            about keeping clean or else it floods on you. I don't think being porous is
            a good thing - it wont aid the alcohol-water interchange unless you can get
            both the vapour & reflux to be in the pores together at the same time
            (unlikely ?).

            Tony
          • ywfbi
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 12, 2001

              > made by hydor,
              > called hyker,
              > used as fiter media,
              > inert ceramic cylinders,
              > highly porous structure,
              > offers a large surface area,
              > absolutely non-toxic....
              >
              > what does everyone think???????

              Dont know what happened to my last post but here goes again.....

              Your definatly on the right track, however the are a few things we
              need to consider. Firstly to lower the HETP we need to increase
              the 'avaliable' SA. That being the amount of surface that is 'wet'
              and avaliable for vapour to interact with it.
              The problem here is that the majority of the SA of this packing is
              inside the pourous structure, which being so fine is not avaliable.
              Think of a fine sponge, when wet it holds alot of water. Where does
              the water go? Inside the pours. Once they are fill there is no way
              for vapour to interact with the liquid inside unless you squeeze it
              out first (try blowing through a wet sponge). Saying this I would
              expect no improvments over a simalar non pourous material. Which
              would have the advantage of being easily cleaned. Those pours will
              trap pretty much anything you put in there.

              If you want to lower your HETP (which of course we all do) I would
              suggest sticking with S/S, but along the same lines as you were
              thinking, I would make it finer. There is alot of SA to be gained by
              using very fine S/S turnings. Heres another thought, if you increase
              the diameter of your coloumb (within reason) you can pack more S/S in
              whilst either increasing or retaining your current level of
              fractional voids (lessen the chance of flooding). The advantage here
              is that you can lower the HETP rather than adding height and another
              beer crate to read the thermonitor! I know height is the easist way,
              but the roof has to be considered!
            • foutzdj
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 8, 2005
                I have a Pot still with a two foot long arm. The arm angles up at a 45
                degree angle then turns 90 degrees down into the condenser. I run from
                60% to 70%. Has anyone put copper scrubbers in their pot still to try
                increasing the alcohol percentage? Does anyone have any other suggestions?
              • paul
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 8, 2005
                  hi i've been experimenting with my potstill and it went from 40 % to 65% on the first run after i used potscrubbers ,seems to take a little of the flavour as well but not a lot as it still runs quite fast compared to the reflux still.paul
                  I have a Pot still with a two foot long arm. The arm angles up at a 45
                  degree angle then turns 90 degrees down into the condenser. I run from
                  60% to 70%. Has anyone put copper scrubbers in their pot still to try
                  increasing the alcohol percentage? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • jfpottery
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 23, 2005
                    I have a copper mesh reflux still. The pakage the mesh came in said it
                    was enough for a 36 inch 2 inch column. I ended up with [ 5]4 inch
                    rolls giving me 20 inches. Did I roll them too tight? or is this ok.
                    I've done four runs and it seems ok but would it be better to add more
                    or loosen up what I have?
                  • Lindsay Williams
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 23, 2005
                      Strange you only got 20" worth. It is darned hard to overtighten the
                      rolls. I would fill the column and if that means buying more, so be it.

                      Cheers,
                      Lindsay.

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jfpottery" <jfpottery@y...> wrote:
                      > I have a copper mesh reflux still. The pakage the mesh came in said it
                      > was enough for a 36 inch 2 inch column. I ended up with [ 5]4 inch
                      > rolls giving me 20 inches. Did I roll them too tight? or is this ok.
                      > I've done four runs and it seems ok but would it be better to add more
                      > or loosen up what I have?
                    • Mike Nixon
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 23, 2005
                        Lindsay Williams wrote:
                        Subject: [Distillers] Re: column packing

                        Strange you only got 20" worth. It is darned hard to overtighten the
                        rolls. I would fill the column and if that means buying more, so be it.

                        Cheers,
                        Lindsay.
                        I would be interested in what mesh he is using. I know it can't be the
                        Amphora mesh for that rolls to form slugs 15cm (5.9 inches) long, and I've
                        never found anyone who is strong enough to wind it too tight.

                        Any clues "jfpottery"?

                        All the best,
                        Mike N