Sugars

  • fermented1941
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 6, 2007
      Can anyone tell me why when I distill alcohol from Aust. made sugar
      (CSR) my temperature reading on my Nixon Stone Still is between 78.4
      and 78.6, but if I used imported sugar (Simply from Malaysia) of the
      same grade, the distilling temp. is 77.4 to 77.8. The rate of recovery
      is the same at approx. 1 Litre per hour, and the quantity of recovery
      is the same at 4 to 4.25 L before tails. The quality of the finished
      product is the same.
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 6, 2007
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "fermented1941" <fjandtw@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone tell me why when I distill alcohol from Aust. made sugar
        > (CSR) my temperature reading on my Nixon Stone Still is between 78.4
        > and 78.6, but if I used imported sugar (Simply from Malaysia) of the
        > same grade, the distilling temp. is 77.4 to 77.8. The rate of
        recovery
        > is the same at approx. 1 Litre per hour, and the quantity of
        recovery
        > is the same at 4 to 4.25 L before tails. The quality of the finished
        > product is the same.

        The only difference I know of between the two sugars mentioned, is the
        Asian product (as packaged for export) typically contains a small
        percentage of corn-flour as a desiccant (absorbs moisture, keeps the
        sugar dry). The percentage is small enough that you wouldn't notice a
        drop in yield with small batches. It would only be noticeable in
        ferments > 1 tonne.

        Whether this would have a bearing on the distilling temp is
        debatable. That particular temp indicates an increase in Ethyl
        Acetate, an ester formed from a reaction of acetic acid with ethanol
        (nail polish remover is the typical smell, aka 'heads'). This
        reaction is naturally reversible, it breaks down to ethanol and acid.

        I don't think it's anything to be overly concerned about.

      • Robert N
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 6, 2007

          Hi all, over the years I have tried many ways of using carbon and non use of carbon in my vodka. Currently I find I want to use carbon as the town water adds a flavour I want to remove and carbon does the trick nicely. I have built several contraptions for this purpose but they all seem to have the same Achilles heal, namely the process in which to separate the carbon from the vodka. I usually find that no matter what my design is, the carbon either compacts to an extent that vodka flow is stopped or it blocks up the filter medium requiring a change of filter. My designs to date have been fiddly to achieve this or waste a significant amount of vodka and carbon. Currently I am trialling the 5 litre demijohn with carbon in it; however I only have a smallish funnel and adding a cup full of vodka/carbon to the funnel with a coffee filter in it is time consuming to say the least.

          To this end I am looking for an elegant streamlined way of achieving this de-carboning process and am thinking of various options to achieve nirvana. Given that this happens in the shed and I work 6 days a week requires the process to be safe, streamlined and efficient. The options as I see them are;

                      1          buying a 5 litre capacity funnel if one exists using cotton wool

                      2          building a funnel out of 100mm ss pipe to take 5 litres at a time. However the height of this pipe deters me.

                      3          give up work?

          Any help with this matter would be appreciated.

          Yours in Spirit

          Robert

        • stevolate
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 6, 2007
            Hi Robert
            I am an advocate for carbon, even though I distil twice both times
            collecting at 95.5%.
            I place at least 1 inch of carbon in 5-litre demijohn and store until
            ready to flavour. I aim at pure smooth ethanol which I flavour using
            commercial flavours, as I don't like a hangover. These work fantastic
            if you start with pure ethanol. The longer you leave ethanol on carbon
            the smother it is to drink.
            When ready to filter I use 2 litre plastic lemonade bottles with the
            bottom cut out. I also sand the thread from the top of the bottle so
            it fits in the demijohn upside down.
            I use home brand perforated pure cotton 100-gram pack and tear of 2
            strips. I wet these and fold to about a 1" square, this I push in the
            neck of the plastic bottle with a butter knife blade. I slowly pore
            from the demijohn to the inverted plastic bottle leaving the carbon in
            the original demijohn along with a small amount of ethanol. This
            leaves the carbon wet until next use. It takes a number of hours to
            filter 2 litres but you can do many at once. I leave on the bench
            after tea and top up before bed. In the morning you have perfectly
            clean ethanol in as many demijohn as you use.
            Will post photos if you want.

            Happy drinking
            Stevo

            have tried many ways of using carbon and non use of
            > carbon in my vodka. Currently I find I want to use carbon as the
            town water
            > adds a flavour I want to remove and carbon does the trick nicely. I have
            > built several contraptions for this purpose but they all seem to
            have the
            > same Achilles heal, namely the process in which to separate the
            carbon from
            > the vodka. I usually find that no matter what my design is, the carbon
            > either compacts to an extent that vodka flow is stopped or it blocks
            up the
            > filter medium requiring a change of filter. My designs to date have been
            > fiddly to achieve this or waste a significant amount of vodka and
            carbon.
            > Currently I am trialling the 5 litre demijohn with carbon in it;
            however I
            > only have a smallish funnel and adding a cup full of vodka/carbon to the
            > funnel with a coffee filter in it is time consuming to say the least.
            >

            > To this end I am looking for an elegant streamlined way of achieving
            this
            > de-carboning process and am thinking of various options to achieve
            nirvana.
            > Given that this happens in the shed and I work 6 days a week
            requires the
            > process to be safe, streamlined and efficient. The options as I see them
            > are;
            >
            > 1 buying a 5 litre capacity funnel if one
            exists using
            > cotton wool
            >
            > 2 building a funnel out of 100mm ss pipe to take 5
            > litres at a time. However the height of this pipe deters me.
            >
            > 3 give up work?
            >
            > Any help with this matter would be appreciated.
            >

            > Yours in Spirit
            >

            > Robert

          • subsonic40grain
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 7, 2007
              That is exactly what I do as well, and it works great. The gallon of
              ethanol is usually sitting on the carbon for ages. I have never
              tried any other pipe / wetting carbon method etc. since the way
              outlined below is fine. Subsonic.

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stevolate" <stevolate@...> wrote:

> [...]
              least.

              > > To this end I am looking for an elegant streamlined way of
              achieving
              > this
              > > de-carboning process and am thinking of various options to achieve
              > nirvana.
              > > Given that this happens in the shed and I work 6 days a week
              > requires the
              > > process to be safe, streamlined and efficient. The options as I
              see them
              > > are;
              > >
              > > 1 buying a 5 litre capacity funnel if one
              > exists using
              > > cotton wool
              > >
              > > 2 building a funnel out of 100mm ss pipe to
              take 5
              > > litres at a time. However the height of this pipe deters me.
              > >
              > > 3 give up work?
              > >
              > > Any help with this matter would be appreciated.

            • Stephen Lane
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 7, 2007
                Stephen wrote:
                ???? If you use Contact Reactive Carbon (10g per litre) & invert it
                a couple of times in the first 2 days after distillation then let it
                settle out for at least 10 days but the more days the merrier I
                typically leave it 4 to 6 weeks or longer (ie before I flavor it) It
                just sinks to the bottom & you syphon the product off before use no fuss
                no muss. If you tilt the Demijon/flagon to one side after those first
                couple of days the carbon moves gently to the edge of the bottom then
                you can put the syphon hose right into the bottom of the container & at
                most you loose a tablespoon of product in the damp carbon which unless
                you want to go thru the recycling the carbon process which involves lots
                of heat & smells I throw it away. The only thing not to do is drop or
                bump the container which is why I store in 2 ltr Flagons so it I stuff
                one up I can get another one while the bumped one settles out again
                (about an hour) also you need to use a small (4mm internal dia) syphon
                hose so the level change doesn't swirl around & upset the carbon it
                takes 4 to 5 min to syphon 2 litres but if you only have to wash the
                container I can cope with the time taken.

                Cheers
                Stephen
              • Andrew Bugal
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 7, 2007
                  Robert,

                  Why not try it the opposite way around?

                  Add carbon to the amount of product you want to clean and let it set for a few days.  When you are ready to add flavouring, etc., fold up a paper towel to about 20 mm (3/4 of an inch), rip off about an inch (30 mm) and push it down the neck of the funnel.  Use another flagon or demi-john and put the funnel in the neck and pour your spirit with the carbon through the funnel.  Works great.

                  When done, add plain water to the carbon and shake the bottle.  The water will replace any spirit in the carbon and you can spread it out on several layers of newspaper to let it drain out.

                  This is my process.

                  Regards,

                  Bwyze

                  Robert N <dinks_c@...> wrote:
[...]

                • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 7, 2007
                    I dunno what the problem is? When you filter, and I take it you want to
                    filter fast rather than slow filter through paper as it blocks up? Get a
                    fine cotton rag (clean of course) and a coarse cotton towel (similar to
                    a fluffy nappy material) and lay them in layers in a decent sized
                    funnel. Fine paper in the bottom of the funnel, next the fine cotton
                    cloth and then the coarse cloth on top. I also lay fine 'tracks' down
                    the side of the funnel (spare fine copper mesh I have laying about)
                    which hook over the top edge of the funnel and hang down along the
                    inside of it. It keeps the fine Paper off the funnel walls and gives the
                    ethanol somewhere to go instead of just hitting the wall as soon as it's
                    through the paper. Works well for me and your cloth has an almost
                    unlimited life as you can wash it out in fresh water when you've
                    finished. You get a coupla uses out of your paper too.
                    Keep in mind the filter paper in a normal atmosphere can only filter at
                    a certain speed no matter how clean it is.
                    Leigh.

                  • bordermeister
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 7, 2007
                      Hi Robert,
                      I have a setup that I made as the alwys filling the funnel was driving
                      me crazy too. Here Goes:

                      I bought two 20l food grade white plastic containers from Bunnings for
                      $8 with lids
                      Bought a polypipe filter that you use for irrigation 13mm bore size
                      for about $3
                      I bought a polypipe sink connector with thread (that coincidentally
                      fits the above mentioned filter thread) for about $5.

                      Drill a hole to take the Polypipe sink connector in the bottom of one
                      20l pail.
                      Connect the sink connector to the tub. Unscrew the end of the filter,
                      remove the filter screen and screw it onto the thread of the sink
                      connector.
                      Here is a link to the filter I used:
                      http://www.wetearth.com.au/Product/ProductDetail.asp?lngProductID=56&lngCatID=3&lngSubCatID=9

                      Drill a hole in the lid of one container that will allow the above
                      setup to fit through.

                      If you place the lid with a hole on the untouched 20l pail you have
                      the recieving container.
                      Then place the other container on top. You now have two stacked
                      containers - All you need to do now is place 4-5 cotton balls in the
                      filter and you now have a carbon filter that can filter up to 20l of
                      product !!!

                      Just remember to decant off the carbon first so that you are only
                      filtering the carbon dust. Then fill and let it filter away on its
                      own. Come back later and you have filtered product read to go...

                      You can use as many/little cotton balls as fit/you want. More means
                      slower but cleaner.

                      I can put a photo/s somewhere if you want to see what I mean.

                      Cheers
                      Mark

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert N" <dinks_c@...> wrote:

                      > Hi all, over the years I have tried many ways of using carbon and
                      non use of
                      > carbon in my vodka. Currently I find I want to use carbon as the
                      town water
                      > adds a flavour I want to remove and carbon does the trick nicely. I have
                      > built several contraptions for this purpose but they all seem to
                      have the
                      > same Achilles heal, namely the process in which to separate the
                      carbon from
                      > the vodka. I usually find that no matter what my design is, the carbon
                      > either compacts to an extent that vodka flow is stopped or it blocks
                      up the
                      > filter medium requiring a change of filter. My designs to date have been
                      > fiddly to achieve this or waste a significant amount of vodka and
                      carbon.
                      > Currently I am trialling the 5 litre demijohn with carbon in it;
                      however I
                      > only have a smallish funnel and adding a cup full of vodka/carbon to the
                      > funnel with a coffee filter in it is time consuming to say the least.
                      >

                      > To this end I am looking for an elegant streamlined way of achieving
                      this
                      > de-carboning process and am thinking of various options to achieve
                      nirvana.
                      > Given that this happens in the shed and I work 6 days a week
                      requires the
                      > process to be safe, streamlined and efficient. The options as I see them
                      > are;
                      >
                      > 1 buying a 5 litre capacity funnel if one
                      exists using
                      > cotton wool
                      >
                      > 2 building a funnel out of 100mm ss pipe to take 5
                      > litres at a time. However the height of this pipe deters me.
                      >
                      > 3 give up work?
                      >
                      > Any help with this matter would be appreciated.
                      >

                      > Yours in Spirit
                      >

                      > Robert

                    • surya9375
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 8, 2007
                        Hey guys.
                        Anyidea as to how this works? Cause I can understand the product
                        becoming smoother if the vodka is passed "through" the carbon. This is
                        what I do I let the vodka drip slowly through the carbon.

                        But then I hear about putting carbon "in" the carbon and letting it
                        take its time. How can this actually work. cause in this way the
                        carbon isnt exactly with contact with all of the vodka, right? Wouldnt
                        passing the vodka through carbon be much more efficient???

                        Regards
                        Surya.
                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "subsonic40grain"

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 8, 2007
                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "surya9375" <surya9375@...> wrote:

                          > Hey guys.
                          > Anyidea as to how this works? Cause I can understand the product
                          > becoming smoother if the vodka is passed "through" the carbon.
                          This is
                          > what I do I let the vodka drip slowly through the carbon.
                          >
                          > But then I hear about putting carbon "in" the carbon and letting it
                          > take its time. How can this actually work. cause in this way the
                          > carbon isnt exactly with contact with all of the vodka, right?
                          Wouldnt
                          > passing the vodka through carbon be much more efficient???
                          >
                          > Regards
                          > Surya.

                          http://www.alcoholpurification.com/default.html

                        • Robert N
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 9, 2007

                            Thankyou all for your replies, they are quite helpful and I will give all these solutions considered thought as soon as I get some free time.

                            Mark how do you decant the carbon off before filtering?

                            I have thought about making a decanting wand out of copper pipe to stick into the demijohn and siphon from one to the other leaving some vodka and carbon in the bottom. This sediment can be filtered the slow way. The decanted vodka could be placed into the bulk filtration equipment.

                            The copper wand would be ½” pipe with the end closed off (crimped) and about a 10 to 20mm above the bottom of the pipe cross drill some holes. These holes I would imagine I would start off small and trial the take off rate to see if it disturbs the sediment in the demijohn, increasing the size of the hole until I find either the take off rate is acceptable or it stirs up sediment. If it stirs up sediment I would then make another wand with the next smallest holes. Or cut at the holes and crimp. Can’t waste copper at the price it is these days.

                            Yours in Spirit

                            Robert

                          • bordermeister
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 10, 2007
                              Hi Robert,
                              I actually have a coffee filter that I just pour the contents of the
                              demijohn through. this allows the liquid to flow through but catches
                              all of the granules.
                              the link of what I have is below. I bought it at a kitchen shop
                              similar to House (actually for coffee but it has a new use now).

                              http://baldmountaincoffee.com/page/BMCC/PROD/Swissgold_Coffee_Filters_Single/00002405

                              takes as long to filter as it does to pour. It allows full flow
                              through - I only use the gold part of the filter not the black inner
                              (in the photo).

                              Cheers
                              Mark

                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert N" <dinks_c@...> wrote:

                              > Thankyou all for your replies, they are quite helpful and I will
                              give all
                              > these solutions considered thought as soon as I get some free time.
                              >

                              > Mark how do you decant the carbon off before filtering?

                              <snip>
                            • surya9375
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 11, 2007
                                Hi Harry
                                I did read this link And this extract makes a lot of sense

                                "Activated carbon works when ordinary physical filtering (using a
                                sieve, filter paper and filter pads, and sand) cannot separate a
                                particular substance. Activated carbon works by absorbing impurities
                                into its pores. Absorption happens through cooperation of the carbon's
                                enormous adsorptive surface, including its weak electrostatic charges
                                (known as Van der Waals forces, named after the scientist who studied
                                them), together with the distribution of pore sizes (micro-, meso-,
                                and macro pores), and the construction of the pores surfaces (called
                                cohesion forces). The carbon pores become saturated with impurities,
                                attaching even to the outside of the carbon."

                                But dont you think it would be MUCH more effective if the liquid where
                                to be passed THROUGH the carbon instead of letting it BE in the carboy??

                                Regards
                                Surya.

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 11, 2007
                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "surya9375" <surya9375@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Harry
                                  > I did read this link And this extract makes a lot of sense
                                  snip>

                                  > But dont you think it would be MUCH more effective if the liquid
                                  where
                                  > to be passed THROUGH the carbon instead of letting it BE in the
                                  carboy??

                                  > Regards
                                  > Surya.

                                  No. The longer the contact, the more the carbon works. Passing
                                  through, it has only several minutes contact. In situ, it has much
                                  more time to do its thing. Brownian motion provides the agitation
                                  (look it up).

                                • bbornais
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 14, 2007
                                    I am a believer in running a column packed with carbon. I am also a
                                    believer in letting the carbon sit in the carboy for at least a
                                    couple of days.

                                    Once the residual smells/tastes are removed from the carboy alc(50-60%
                                    ABV), then you must filter off the loose carbon.

                                    To do this I pack a 2 inch glass cylinder about five feet long with
                                    carbon.

                                    1) Take copper mesh and about four coffee filters. Coffee filters on
                                    the end of the 2" tube. Mesh over the filters.

                                    2) tape the mesh to the column about 6 inches up. This ensures that
                                    no alcohol comes in contact with the tape. The mesh holds the coffee
                                    filters firmly.

                                    3) Pour in your boiled carbon to desired height.

                                    4) Run Hot water through until it runs out clear.

                                    5) Add alcohol. When liquid starts coming out cool with alc taste,
                                    start collecting.

                                    6) Keep column filled so that it never runs dry until all is filtered.

                                    Clean, taste free. Done quickly in a couple of hours on a Saturday.
                                    No clogging. No fuss.
                                  • bbornais
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 14, 2007
                                      It may be that you are confusing a change in one variable with a
                                      change in another.

                                      What I am talking about is the barometric pressure. This was
                                      certainly not the same on the two different days when you tried two
                                      different sugars.

                                      Barometric pressue plays a large role in the variation of boiling
                                      point due to the fact that liquids only boil when they reach
                                      barometric pressure.

                                      Fact is, ethyl alcohol is the same, whether it was made with potatoes
                                      or two kinds of sugar.

                                      If you are drawing at the same rate, the packing is the same, and the
                                      energy going into the boiler is the same, then there should be very
                                      neglibile difference in your HETP and column seperating capacity.

                                      Hope this helps,

                                      Bryan.
                                    • donald holcombe

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jan 15, 2007
                                          most things are just not what it seem sto be,

                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownian_motion

                                          Now I got to try this out. for a liter of vodka would a table spoon of
                                          Carbon be good enough? And if thats ok. then how long time do I keep
                                          it, a week? I think Thats what I read!

                                          Regards
                                          Surya.

                                          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "surya9375" <surya9375@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Hi Harry
                                          > > I did read this link And this extract makes a lot of sense
                                          > snip>
                                          > >
                                          > > But dont you think it would be MUCH more effective if the liquid
                                          > where
                                          > > to be passed THROUGH the carbon instead of letting it BE in the
                                          > carboy??
                                          > >
                                          > > Regards
                                          > > Surya.
                                          >

                                          > No. The longer the contact, the more the carbon works. Passing
                                          > through, it has only several minutes contact. In situ, it has much
                                          > more time to do its thing. Brownian motion provides the agitation
                                          > (look it up).
                                          >

                                          > Slainte!
                                          > regards Harry

                                        • Trid
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jan 15, 2007
                                            --- surya9375 <surya9375@...> wrote:

                                            > most things are just not what it seem sto be,
                                            >
                                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownian_motion
                                            >
                                            > Now I got to try this out. for a liter of vodka would a table spoon of
                                            > Carbon be good enough? And if thats ok. then how long time do I keep
                                            > it, a week? I think Thats what I read!

                                            Sounds great in theory. However, questions arise regarding stratification,
                                            osmosis, convection currents (though unlikely in 1 liter) and other factors
                                            that exist in conjunction with this.

                                            I'd say that if 1 table spoon has the adsorption capacity for your liter, they
                                            you'd still be well off to shake it daily.

                                            As for myself, I'm more inclined to run the spirit through a carbon bed.

                                            Trid
                                            -nifty concept, though
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jan 15, 2007

                                              > Sounds great in theory. However, questions arise regarding
                                              stratification,
                                              > osmosis, convection currents (though unlikely in 1 liter) and
                                              other factors
                                              > that exist in conjunction with this.
                                              >
                                              > I'd say that if 1 table spoon has the adsorption capacity for your
                                              liter, they
                                              > you'd still be well off to shake it daily.
                                              >
                                              > As for myself, I'm more inclined to run the spirit through a
                                              carbon bed.

                                              > Trid
                                              > -nifty concept, though

                                              All those forces come into play. That's how it works in a barrel.
                                              They don't pick them fellers up & shake 'em every other day. :)

                                              However, our small containers can, and should be, shaken every so
                                              often. It will speed up the process.

                                            • Stephen Lane
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jan 16, 2007
                                                Stephen wrote:
                                                As I have said previously & I've been doing this since couple of
                                                years now using a CR grade carbon (Contact Reactive) at 10 grams per
                                                litre of 85% to 92% product wait a min of 10 days with a shake or 2 in
                                                the 1st couple of days or leave as long as takes to get round to using
                                                the product (longer the better but it doesn't really matter) & syphon
                                                off prior to use (tipping carbon to edge of bottom with the last shake
                                                up gives an empty spot to put a thin dia hose for the siphon so the
                                                swirling effect doesn't cause carbon pick up during the siphoning).
                                                Least amount of fuss I've ever performed & I've tried Z filters & the
                                                bucket & filter bed method but its all so hard compared to the CR method.

                                                Regards
                                                Stephen
                                              • surya9375
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jan 17, 2007
                                                  I knew I've seen this before :-)

                                                  http://homedistiller.org/polish.htm

                                                  Now here is a contradiction.

                                                  At times I would like to steep my vodka in fruits and stuff. Later
                                                  (after a month or so) I distill it. Now here is the problem.

                                                  1, I'm not supposed to polish it before diluting it.
                                                  2, I want to steep the fruits in 95 to 95+ ethanol.
                                                  3, I cannot polish it after flavoring it.

                                                  At first I'm thinking I can be satisfied with whatever I can get out
                                                  of filtering the ethanol at 95%. Then I see this.

                                                  <Snip, from the above link under the heading "Dilute the Alcohol">
                                                  high % alcohol could act as an aggressor to the carbon and cause
                                                  "nasties" to be leached out the wrong way, eg carbon to alcohol
                                                  <Snip>

                                                  What do you do?

                                                  - I would like to filter the product before steeping fruits in it.
                                                  - I would like to steep the fruits in 95+%

                                                  Regards
                                                  Surya.