dont know what i am doing wrong

  • njadpco
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2007
      well after 3 batches, i have a reflux still 1" and using turbo yeast
      and sugar, i get about 1 gal. from 5 gal. mash. smells like rubbing
      alcohol. and i run at 172-182F and then when i water down with apple
      juice or anything i get a awful smell? and taste? any ideas what i am
      doing wrong?
    • tyler_97355
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 5, 2007
        Sounds like you forgot to take out the foreshot, which contains all
        the methanol and acetone. Methenol gives you the hangover, acetone
        gives you that "paint thinner" smell and taste. Easy way to do it,
        just toss the first shot or two that comes out of the still. You might
        also look into carbon filtering your spirits.

        -Tyler

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 5, 2007
          And a 1" Ø column is too small for good separation vs time. The max.
          power input would be ~450w which means you'd be distilling for DAYS to
          get one gallon of product.

          Therefore I'm thinking you're running at higher power input to cut the
          time (you gotta sleep, yes?), which will deliver more product, but the
          separation & purity will suffer badly (as you have found out).

          Do yourself a favour & get a 2" Ø column about 36" tall. Use 1000w -
          1400w input. This will deliver clean product >92% (as much as 95% if
          run right) in just a few HOURS.

        • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 5, 2007
            1 gallon from 5 sounds about right if you had a 20% starting wash and an
            almost perfect distillation without doing any complex math equations to
            confirm volumes and strengths and stuff.
            However, no distillation will give pure etoh all the way from start to
            finish as the strength drops away. I recommend keeping all ethanol you
            get at 95% or so for watering down and drinking. When the strength
            starts dropping down keep 80% and above for carbon filtering and
            anything below that for redistilling in the next batch. Or for when you
            have lots of tails to do by themselves in one hit. You get some nice
            brew from those.
            You should chuck the first little bit as Tyler says as there is, even in
            a sugar wash, a little bit of off taste there.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Distillers%40yahoogroups.com>
            , "njadpco" <njadpco@...> wrote:

            > well after 3 batches, i have a reflux still 1" and using turbo yeast
            > and sugar, i get about 1 gal. from 5 gal. mash. smells like rubbing
            > alcohol. and i run at 172-182F and then when i water down with apple
            > juice or anything i get a awful smell? and taste? any ideas what i am
            > doing wrong?

          • njadpco
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 5, 2007
              i am using propane and a 7 gal keg, with about 4 gal of sugar mash.
              its taking about 2 hours to run thru.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 5, 2007
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "njadpco" <njadpco@...> wrote:

                > i am using propane and a 7 gal keg, with about 4 gal of sugar mash.
                > its taking about 2 hours to run thru.

                Just as I suspected. You'll NEVER get quality product running like
                that. Know this: It is the COLUMN capacity & design that does the
                work of separation & purifying. The size of the boiler has nothing to
                do with it. You have to match the power input to the column's
                capabilities, nothing else.

              • ebaxley1957
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 5, 2007
                  If you collect at about 3 drips per second holding a steady temp,you
                  should do much better. I try and only collect what I'm going to drink
                  within a 7 degree window. The rest I put back in the bucket to distill
                  later. Like was said earlier, use a mason jar, it's marked in ml and
                  toss the first 100 ml. Greed, speed, and quality product is like oil
                  and vinegar, they don't mix well.
                  Hope this helps.
                • Sam
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 5, 2007
                    Exactly!

                    Greed, speed, and quality product is like oil
                    and vinegar, they don't mix well.
                  • joe giffen
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 5, 2007
                      Obviously you are a virtuoso kazoo player

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@ ...> wrote:

                      > And a 1" Ø column is too small for good separation vs time. The max.
                      > power input would be ~450w which means you'd be distilling for DAYS to
                      > get one gallon of product.
                      >
                      > Therefore I'm thinking you're running at higher power input to cut the
                      > time (you gotta sleep, yes?), which will deliver more product, but the
                      > separation & purity will suffer badly (as you have found out).
                      >
                      > Do yourself a favour & get a 2" Ø column about 36" tall. Use 1000w -
                      > 1400w input. This will deliver clean product >92% (as much as 95% if
                      > run right) in just a few HOURS.
                      >

                      > Slainte!
                      > regards Harry

                      Regards