Taffy Pulling

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2007

      For those who've led a sheltered life, and don't know what 'Taffy Pulling' is...it's making homemade boiled lollies.  In days of yore, people often married their taffy pulling partners.  Try this recipe...

      Molasses Taffy

      Ingredients
      2 cups unsulfured molasses
      1 cup sugar
      2 tablespoons butter
      2 tablespoons cider or white vinegar

      Instructions
      Butter a platter or baking sheet. In a large saucepan, combine all the ingredients. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil and cook, without stirring, until the mixture reaches 250 degrees F. (the hard-ball stage) on a candy thermometer, or until a small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water forms a ball that is hard enough to hold its shape yet is pliable.

      Pour onto the platter. Using a spatula, turn the edges toward the center to speed cooling. Pull (see below).

      Yield: about 1 pound

      About Pulling Taffy

      While taffy pulling is best known as an amusing group operation, it's perfectly possible to pull taffy all by yourself. Old-time kitchens often had "taffy hooks" permanently attached to a wall.

      Before you begin, grease a pair of scissors and have on hand squares of wax paper for wrapping.

      Let your cooked taffy sit just until it's barely cool enough to work with. (If it gets too cool, you can warm it in a 350 F. oven for 3 to 4 minutes.)

      Coat your hands well with cornstarch or butter. Form the candy into one or more balls. Now start pulling.

      Working fast, pull a lump of candy between the fingertips of one hand and the other until it's about 15 inches long.

      Now double it up and pull again. Continue pulling, as in step 1, until the candy is porous and hard to pull.

      Stretch the candy into a rope about 3/4 inch in diameter.

      Cut with the greased scissors into 1-inch pieces. To prevent sticking, wrap each piece of candy individually in a square of wax paper; twist the ends to seal. Keep the wrapped taffies in a tightly closed tin.

    • Link D'Antoni
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2007
        Thanks Harry,

        I was raised on 'Roman Candy' in New Orleans, then 5
        cents a stick.
        http://romancandy.gourmetfoodmall.com/
        We have three flavors: Vanilla, chocolate, and
        strawberry.
        The horse drawn cart is still seen roaming in the area
        of the N.O. Zoo. I never can resist stopping,
        especially if I have guest.

        The molasses sounds great! I hope it comes out better
        than my pralines.

        Thanks again,

        Link

        http://mail.yahoo.com