Short reflux stills

  • surya9375
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2007
      Hey Everyone
      I was going homedistillerand came across this
      http://homedistiller.org/photos-reflux.htm

      In this page if you look at the last pic "The Ultra Pure Still" it is
      said to be 25cm tall and produces 95%.

      I also saw that its of 5liter capacity and they say its capable of
      producing 2 bottles, but do not mention how big (or small) those
      bottles are. :-) I mean I can take that bit of marketing gimic. but
      can anyone tell me how these short stills produce such high %???

      This still is just an example. There are many more short stills that
      produce high %. Any ideas??? thoughts, know hows. I'm dying of curiosity.

      Regards
      Surya.
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2007
        I'd be very sceptical about those promises they make. If you read it
        carefully and think it over things are not as good as they seem.

        Amphora society was the first to manufacture a short still after years
        of research, they settled for 30cm packed height and relatively slow
        running to get out 95.6% neutral alcohol.

        Somehow I doubt that these ultra pure guys have invented something
        better. The still has no product condenser so it must be LM. The valve
        looks to be ball valve, not something suited for finetuning a LM type
        distillation apparatus. The bottle size is not mentioned. Now typical
        mash of 5 liters contains ~0.75 liters alcohol. If we assume typical
        cuts of 20-60-20 (in fact quite unlikely due to speed and column
        height) we'll get 0.45 liters of neutral alcohol. Out of that we get a
        little over one liter at 0.40% so those bottles are 0.5 liters at
        best. I also very much doubt that one could process that 5 liters of
        mash in one hour while equilibrating the still and bleeding off heads
        slowly. Also 2.2 kW and 2" column that it seems to have are not a good
        match for purity.

        So, IMO it's a marketing ploy. Personally I wouldn't buy something
        with such suspicious advert.

        Cheers, Riku

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "surya9375" <surya9375@...> wrote:

        > Hey Everyone
        > I was going homedistillerand came across this
        > http://homedistiller.org/photos-reflux.htm
        >
        > In this page if you look at the last pic "The Ultra Pure Still" it is
        > said to be 25cm tall and produces 95%.
        >
        > I also saw that its of 5liter capacity and they say its capable of
        > producing 2 bottles, but do not mention how big (or small) those
        > bottles are. :-) I mean I can take that bit of marketing gimic. but
        > can anyone tell me how these short stills produce such high %???
        >
        > This still is just an example. There are many more short stills that
        > produce high %. Any ideas??? thoughts, know hows. I'm dying of
        curiosity.

        > Regards
        > Surya.

      • Link D'Antoni
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2007
          Surya,

          One of my stills is a 24"H x 2"D stainless column
          that I got from Mi-High. I used to use it from
          reflux. The drawback is that it took 10 - 12 hrs
          (including heat up) to run 5 gallons (19 ltrs). I did
          get 96% but it took allll daaaaay loooong... it was
          drip...drip...drip...to get the purity. (5-8 ml/minute
          Oh, I used SS scrubbers packing.

          Link

          --- surya9375 <surya9375@...> wrote:

          > Hey Everyone
          > I was going homedistillerand came across this
          > http://homedistiller.org/photos-reflux.htm
          >
          > In this page if you look at the last pic "The Ultra
          > Pure Still" it is
          > said to be 25cm tall and produces 95%.
          >
          > I also saw that its of 5liter capacity and they say
          > its capable of
          > producing 2 bottles, but do not mention how big (or
          > small) those
          > bottles are. :-) I mean I can take that bit of
          > marketing gimic. but
          > can anyone tell me how these short stills produce
          > such high %???
          >
          > This still is just an example. There are many more
          > short stills that
          > produce high %. Any ideas??? thoughts, know hows.
          > I'm dying of curiosity.
          >
          > Regards
          > Surya.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Sven Pfitt
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2007
            Great marketing.

            If he were running an 18% wash and actually got to use 4.5L of the
            capacity for liquid it would yield 0.81L of alcohol. So you could get
            two 1L bottles at 41% abv.

            If it were 100% efficient.

            Which it is not because those are the theoretical limits.

            I'm not going to do the math on heat up time, foreshots, tails, etc
            because they would show the same claims of ideal working conditions.

            It won't work the way it is claimed. Marketing license.

            Just remember, if it sounds too good to be true, its not.

            Sven