Re: Tequila from Onions?

  • subsonic40grain
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 3, 2007
      > It's amazing how well our bodies work and how quickly some things are
      > absorbed. It only takes about a half an hour from eating asparagus to
      > to being overtly detectable at the other end.
      > Cheers Mal

      10 points to you! Subsonic
    • burrows206
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 4, 2007
        Hi Harry,
        Peel an onion and cook it in a micro wave oven and see how sweet
        it tastes.
        Geoff

        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Trid <triddlywinks@> wrote:
        > > I'm so totally game for this experiment.
        > >
        > > Notes to self:
        > > -head out to the farmers' market for a big ol' bag of onions.
        > > -read like mad about inulin conversion
        > > -buy something shiny and expensive for SWMBO
        >

        > Hi Trid,
        >
        > Keep us posted re the onion experiment. I'm up to my arse in
        > crocodiles at the moment, so no time for diversions. :/
        >
        > I can't see a reason why it won't produce something, at least.
        Many
        > times I've cooked/roasted onions and the result (at least with a
        leg
        > o' lamb) has been something that tastes very sweet.
        >
        > re shiny baubles for (best Rumpole voice...) 'ER INDOORS. Geez, you
        > sure know your priorities. <efg>
        >

        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

      • surya9375
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 4, 2007
          According to patents and law. ONLY Blue Agave MADE IN MEXICO can be
          labeled Tequila. I read this somewhere. dont remember where. I wonder
          when someone somewhere else is gona make the same stuff and label it
          differently :-)

          Regards
          Surya.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@...> wrote:

          > According to the program on 'The History Channel' last night, only
          > the Blue Agave can be used to make "Tequila", and there are some 800
          > varieties of Agave.
          >
          > Maybe the other 799 varieties are the ones that are in surplus.
          >
          > And Happy New Year.
          >
          > Sven

          > > Is it possible ??!!?
          > >
          > > If Inulin is the base for tequila, why can't this spirit be made
          > from
          > > any Inulin-bearing vegetable? Comments???
          > >
          > > <quote>
          > > Agave has been grown in Mexico for thousands of years, and the
          > famous
          > > Mexican spirit tequila is distilled from the sap in their hearts.
          > But so
          > > prolific are they that the tequila industry has more than it can
          > handle.
          > > At present, there is an excess of 60 million plants – each one
          > > weighing in at 80 kg – and other industries have been encouraged to
          > > find a use for them.
          > > Nekulti's research and development manager Jose Manuel Cruz Rubio
          > > told NutraIngredients.com at the Anuga expo in Cologne last week
          > that 25
          > > percent of agave's wet weight is inulin. The only plant with a
          > > higher proportion is the onion.
          > > </quote>
          > > [ Source:
          > > http://www.nutraingredients.com/news-by-product/news.asp?
          > id=63246&idCat=\
          > > 68&k=inulin-answers-agave
          > > <http://www.nutraingredients.com/news-by-product/news.asp?
          > id=63246&idCat\
          > > =68&k=inulin-answers-agave> ]
          > >

          > > Slainte!
          > >
          > > regards Harry

        • marquee.moon
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 5, 2007
            have you ever tried eating fresh beetroot?
            first time I did that, I thought my insides had burst- I whent to the
            toilet and found bright red stuff coming out!
          • funone57912004
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 6, 2007
              i know this off topic but ive made japleno wine for flavoring and
              cooking but couldn't get past the sipping stage with it (might have to
              distill some also!!)
            • donald holcombe
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 7, 2007
                Best thing I ever put in Chili ! I would be careful , concintrated  Capsaison can Hurt you.It will burn skin and remove the lining in your mouth . LATER

                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 14, 2007
                  Onion booze would certainly not taste like tequila. I am sure it is
                  more than just this inulin stuff you guys are talking bout that makes a
                  good tequila.

                  I have tried tequila that was made from stuff other than the blue
                  agave, however. It was close, but a tequila drinker can certainly tell
                  the difference.

                  I think there are many tasty infusions that only the agave plant can
                  give with a balanced heads/tails collection.

                  It would be like saying that we can make absinthe with juniper, because
                  it has thujone in it.

                  I have not researched it, but doesn't tequila have a maceration step?

                  I assume that using a close cousin to agave and maybe the onions could
                  give an interesting 'tequila like' drink.
                • Trid
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 14, 2007
                    --- bbornais <bbornais@...> wrote:

                    > Onion booze would certainly not taste like tequila. I am sure it is
                    > more than just this inulin stuff you guys are talking bout that makes a
                    > good tequila.

                    Bear in mind that it's pretty intuitive to say that you're not getting Tequila
                    per se (or even mezcal) from onions. The idea we've been batting around has
                    been along the lines of "if tequila gets its fermentable sugars from the
                    breakdown of inulin, then one could also obtain fermentable sugars from the
                    breakdown of inulin in onions/garlic/jerusalem artichokes/etc. and thus distill
                    it into the onion/whatever equivalent." It was never asserted that onions
                    would substitute (even remotely).
                    This is much the same as the fact that corn does not yield a whisky that's the
                    same in flavor or character as malt whisky. We do know better than to assume
                    that onions will yield anything remotely resembling Tequila (much less "good"
                    tequila).

                    The term in the subject line is just as an analogy based on the
                    derivation...not the expected result.

                    To make matters worse, my favorite farmers' market closed down. Now I have to
                    find another source of onions in bulk. Phooey!

                    Trid
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 14, 2007

                      > Bear in mind that it's pretty intuitive to say that you're not
                      getting Tequila
                      > per se (or even mezcal) from onions. The idea we've been batting
                      around has
                      > been along the lines of "if tequila gets its fermentable sugars
                      from the
                      > breakdown of inulin, then one could also obtain fermentable sugars
                      from the
                      > breakdown of inulin in onions/garlic/jerusalem artichokes/etc. and
                      thus distill
                      > it into the onion/whatever equivalent." It was never asserted
                      that onions
                      > would substitute (even remotely).

                      'OI!!! Hang on! Woddabout we chuck in an Agave worm (or 2)? Better
                      yet, in Oz we could use a Witchetty Grub! Bloody hell! That oughtta
                      be a No 1 seller for the tourists, no? Mebbe I'll have to talk to
                      me old mate Jackboot Johnny Howard & see if we can fly this thing!
                      I reckon the revenue will pay for all the broken election promises
                      (or at least a family nite out at McDonalds). <EFG>