Re: [Distillers] Re: Tequila from Onions?

  • Trid
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 3, 2007
      --- "marquee.moon" <marquee.moon@...> wrote:
      <snip>
      > Onions cooked very slowly are the sweetest. The larger the onion, the
      > less onion the flavour and the sweeter the taste. The warmer the
      > growing environment, the less firey the onion.

      Right nifty info, thank you :)

      > Personally, I think it's a waste of good onions….

      Indeed, though it's a matter more of experimentation and "I wonder if I can..."
      than finding the ideal source or simply dirt cheap booze. If that were the
      case, I'd stick to sugar washes :)

      > If you want an easy high yielding inulin source, grow jerusolem
      > artichokes. I think "journey to forever" rates it as one of the
      > highest yielding crops in terms of ethanol production.

      Indeed...you know, to this day, I couldn't even tell you what a Jerusalem
      Artichoke looks like. Besides, I'm real estate challenged, so growing is not
      an option. However, farmers' markets abound, so I can pick up whatever's
      locally grown (obviously by others) at decent prices. Onions just seem like an
      amusing experiment.

      Internal dialogue here:
      There's a restaurant called "The Stinking Rose" http://www.thestinkingrose.com/
      which specializes in everything garlic. According to the great wikipedia,
      garlic is among those which are high in inulin content. If one were inclined
      (and legal for selling) perhaps there could be concocted a unique garlic spirit
      for them.

      Trid
      -always plotting and scheming
    • subsonic40grain
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 3, 2007
        >> Indeed...you know, to this day, I couldn't even tell you what a
        Jerusalem
        > Artichoke looks like. Besides, I'm real estate challenged, so
        growing is not
        > an option. However, farmers' markets abound, so I can pick up
        whatever's
        > locally grown (obviously by others) at decent prices. Onions just
        seem like an
        > amusing experiment.

        While we are on the veggy train I just had to pass this one past you
        all. We all drink booze and sometimes suffer, and sure we sometimes
        eat pulses and beets and suffer the dreaded 'duvet lifting' effect ;-
        @. But guys, any of you ever eaten asparagus and experienced the
        side effects of that? On my first trip to Provence I gorged myself
        and man, although told of the effects I never realised it would be
        soooo BAD!

        Not related to the post, but I give 10 points to the first correct
        answer. Oh, and I have to say I shot sooooo well so well today, had
        a fine lunch at the farm that invited me to shoot and I spied a 1997
        home made Damson Gin!!!, well that gin went straight down my throat
        and from then on I was on form! Hic! Subsonic ;0)
      • duds2u
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 3, 2007
          It's amazing how well our bodies work and how quickly some things are
          absorbed. It only takes about a half an hour from eating asparagus to
          to being overtly detectable at the other end.
          Cheers Mal

          Big snip
          We all drink booze and sometimes suffer, and sure we sometimes
          > eat pulses and beets and suffer the dreaded 'duvet lifting' effect ;-
          > @. But guys, any of you ever eaten asparagus and experienced the
          > side effects of that? On my first trip to Provence I gorged myself
          > and man, although told of the effects I never realised it would be
          > soooo BAD!

          Subsonic ;0)

        • subsonic40grain
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 3, 2007
            > It's amazing how well our bodies work and how quickly some things are
            > absorbed. It only takes about a half an hour from eating asparagus to
            > to being overtly detectable at the other end.
            > Cheers Mal

            10 points to you! Subsonic
          • burrows206
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 4, 2007
              Hi Harry,
              Peel an onion and cook it in a micro wave oven and see how sweet
              it tastes.
              Geoff

              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Trid <triddlywinks@> wrote:
              > > I'm so totally game for this experiment.
              > >
              > > Notes to self:
              > > -head out to the farmers' market for a big ol' bag of onions.
              > > -read like mad about inulin conversion
              > > -buy something shiny and expensive for SWMBO
              >

              > Hi Trid,
              >
              > Keep us posted re the onion experiment. I'm up to my arse in
              > crocodiles at the moment, so no time for diversions. :/
              >
              > I can't see a reason why it won't produce something, at least.
              Many
              > times I've cooked/roasted onions and the result (at least with a
              leg
              > o' lamb) has been something that tastes very sweet.
              >
              > re shiny baubles for (best Rumpole voice...) 'ER INDOORS. Geez, you
              > sure know your priorities. <efg>
              >

              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry

            • surya9375
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 4, 2007
                According to patents and law. ONLY Blue Agave MADE IN MEXICO can be
                labeled Tequila. I read this somewhere. dont remember where. I wonder
                when someone somewhere else is gona make the same stuff and label it
                differently :-)

                Regards
                Surya.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@...> wrote:

                > According to the program on 'The History Channel' last night, only
                > the Blue Agave can be used to make "Tequila", and there are some 800
                > varieties of Agave.
                >
                > Maybe the other 799 varieties are the ones that are in surplus.
                >
                > And Happy New Year.
                >
                > Sven

                > > Is it possible ??!!?
                > >
                > > If Inulin is the base for tequila, why can't this spirit be made
                > from
                > > any Inulin-bearing vegetable? Comments???
                > >
                > > <quote>
                > > Agave has been grown in Mexico for thousands of years, and the
                > famous
                > > Mexican spirit tequila is distilled from the sap in their hearts.
                > But so
                > > prolific are they that the tequila industry has more than it can
                > handle.
                > > At present, there is an excess of 60 million plants – each one
                > > weighing in at 80 kg – and other industries have been encouraged to
                > > find a use for them.
                > > Nekulti's research and development manager Jose Manuel Cruz Rubio
                > > told NutraIngredients.com at the Anuga expo in Cologne last week
                > that 25
                > > percent of agave's wet weight is inulin. The only plant with a
                > > higher proportion is the onion.
                > > </quote>
                > > [ Source:
                > > http://www.nutraingredients.com/news-by-product/news.asp?
                > id=63246&idCat=\
                > > 68&k=inulin-answers-agave
                > > <http://www.nutraingredients.com/news-by-product/news.asp?
                > id=63246&idCat\
                > > =68&k=inulin-answers-agave> ]
                > >

                > > Slainte!
                > >
                > > regards Harry

              • marquee.moon
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 5, 2007
                  have you ever tried eating fresh beetroot?
                  first time I did that, I thought my insides had burst- I whent to the
                  toilet and found bright red stuff coming out!
                • funone57912004
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 6, 2007
                    i know this off topic but ive made japleno wine for flavoring and
                    cooking but couldn't get past the sipping stage with it (might have to
                    distill some also!!)
                  • donald holcombe
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 7, 2007
                      Best thing I ever put in Chili ! I would be careful , concintrated  Capsaison can Hurt you.It will burn skin and remove the lining in your mouth . LATER

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 14, 2007
                        Onion booze would certainly not taste like tequila. I am sure it is
                        more than just this inulin stuff you guys are talking bout that makes a
                        good tequila.

                        I have tried tequila that was made from stuff other than the blue
                        agave, however. It was close, but a tequila drinker can certainly tell
                        the difference.

                        I think there are many tasty infusions that only the agave plant can
                        give with a balanced heads/tails collection.

                        It would be like saying that we can make absinthe with juniper, because
                        it has thujone in it.

                        I have not researched it, but doesn't tequila have a maceration step?

                        I assume that using a close cousin to agave and maybe the onions could
                        give an interesting 'tequila like' drink.
                      • Trid
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 14, 2007
                          --- bbornais <bbornais@...> wrote:

                          > Onion booze would certainly not taste like tequila. I am sure it is
                          > more than just this inulin stuff you guys are talking bout that makes a
                          > good tequila.

                          Bear in mind that it's pretty intuitive to say that you're not getting Tequila
                          per se (or even mezcal) from onions. The idea we've been batting around has
                          been along the lines of "if tequila gets its fermentable sugars from the
                          breakdown of inulin, then one could also obtain fermentable sugars from the
                          breakdown of inulin in onions/garlic/jerusalem artichokes/etc. and thus distill
                          it into the onion/whatever equivalent." It was never asserted that onions
                          would substitute (even remotely).
                          This is much the same as the fact that corn does not yield a whisky that's the
                          same in flavor or character as malt whisky. We do know better than to assume
                          that onions will yield anything remotely resembling Tequila (much less "good"
                          tequila).

                          The term in the subject line is just as an analogy based on the
                          derivation...not the expected result.

                          To make matters worse, my favorite farmers' market closed down. Now I have to
                          find another source of onions in bulk. Phooey!

                          Trid
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 14, 2007

                            > Bear in mind that it's pretty intuitive to say that you're not
                            getting Tequila
                            > per se (or even mezcal) from onions. The idea we've been batting
                            around has
                            > been along the lines of "if tequila gets its fermentable sugars
                            from the
                            > breakdown of inulin, then one could also obtain fermentable sugars
                            from the
                            > breakdown of inulin in onions/garlic/jerusalem artichokes/etc. and
                            thus distill
                            > it into the onion/whatever equivalent." It was never asserted
                            that onions
                            > would substitute (even remotely).

                            'OI!!! Hang on! Woddabout we chuck in an Agave worm (or 2)? Better
                            yet, in Oz we could use a Witchetty Grub! Bloody hell! That oughtta
                            be a No 1 seller for the tourists, no? Mebbe I'll have to talk to
                            me old mate Jackboot Johnny Howard & see if we can fly this thing!
                            I reckon the revenue will pay for all the broken election promises
                            (or at least a family nite out at McDonalds). <EFG>