filter design for small distrations

  • Sunil Kumar
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
      Happy new year and expecting more and more sharing of
      new techniques and experiences.

      Any body can advice me for building a small charcoal
      filter.

      Thanks and regards

      Sunil

      --- dvman45 <dvman45@...> wrote:

      > I have filtered quite a few batches of vodka now and
      > always do it at
      > 45%abv and bottle.I have also done several batches
      > of rum and whiskey
      > and filtered it at 45%abv after aging 30 or more
      > days in oak chips. I
      > am now about to run a 20gal.rum wash (next week)and
      > am thinking of
      > charcoal filtering it at 45% abv before adding
      > caramelized sugar and
      > any oak aging. I am worried that doing it then will
      > remove alot of the
      > flavor.Does anyone have an opinion on when the best
      > time for filtering
      > is?
      > Thanks Dave

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • John Wheeler
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
        Hey Sunil,

        I ran out and bought the "Z Carbon Filter", which works 'ok' I guess.  It *does* filter, but the 'Z' shape means that you automatically loose some product in the filter.  That, and it's somewhat of a pain to rinse the carbon since they designed it for a cut-off section of hose, and it ran me about $50... (dOH!).

        So, I'd be open to hearing other people's recommendations, but I would say, get a length of 1"-3" pipe (if you can get copper, more points for you) and attach some connectors on each end, one to receive input and the other for releasing the filtered product w/o letting any of the carbon out.  A straight design will allow you to (hopefully) get it all out, or at least you'd have gravity working for you in that sense.  The other part to think about is the staging and receiving containers.  Ideally, you'd have a large bucket-type container on each end so you don't have to keep pouring for the whole time.

        Check out the website, I think there are a few pictures and diagrams, but I can't seem to find them at the moment.

        Good luck!

        --John

        --- dvman45 <dvman45@...> wrote:

        > I have filtered quite a few batches of vodka now and
        > always do it at
        > 45%abv and bottle.I have also done several batches
        > of rum and whiskey
        > and filtered it at 45%abv after aging 30 or more
        > days in oak chips. I
        > am now about to run a 20gal.rum wash (next week)and
        > am thinking of
        > charcoal filtering it at 45% abv before adding
        > caramelized sugar and
        > any oak aging. I am worried that doing it then will
        > remove alot of the
        > flavor.Does anyone have an opinion on when the best
        > time for filtering
        > is?
        > Thanks Dave

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • surya9375
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
          Get some Active Carbon powder. Get a pipe of 2" diameter (keep it
          above an inch to not have any wall effect). Close one end with a thick
          clean cloth by wraping the cloth to the mouth of the pipe and tying it
          with a piece of string. Push in some cotton through the other end all
          the way to the cloth end. and then fill with the active carbon powder.
          And let the alcohol drip through the open end. There :-) . This is
          what I use.

          Active Carbon is what is used to filter out any tastes. But if you
          want to filter for "ADDING" flavours. Like oak. Then beat the charcoal
          to as small as you want and fill that instead of the Active carbon powder.

          Regards
          Surya

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2007
            I will try your design and let me know how it comes in
            the end.

            thanks and regards

            sunil

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • dvman45
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 6, 2007
              Thankyou for the replies.I have decided to try filtering my rum at 45%
              abv before adding caramelized sugar and aging in oaks (some of each-
              raw,toasted, and soaked in whiskey).After the aging process (2/3s at a
              year if possible and 1/3 after at least 30 days (need some to tide me
              over hahaha) I will filter again if I think it necessary. I will post
              my results, Thanks, Dave