Re: [Distillers] Re: okra gumbo

  • Link D'Antoni
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
      Subsonic,

      Trust me on this one...You are in good company. My
      sanity has been questioned by some fairly intelligent,
      educated, and discerning people. Maybe there is
      something to the rumors after-all, huh?!
      As far as linage...I am not but married into a Brit
      family. Such is life. After 30something years, I still
      have trouble with the humor. Let's see... 10 minutes
      of 'Mr. Bean' or fresh Road-Kill. :-) Which is easier
      to stomach? (rHQ)

      A (US)Southerner joke:
      There is big difference between a Northern and a
      Southern zoo. In the Northern zoo the animal habitat
      shows the common and the scientific name.
      Southern zoo shows the common name and a recipe!

      I shall take your recommendation and open one of my
      finest to celebrate the new year. Perhaps my 1999
      corn on Am White Oak.

      Cheers old chap and Tally ho,(or something like that)

      Link
      loUiSiAna

      --- subsonic40grain <subsonic40grain@...>
      wrote:

      > Oh, Chicken and sausage
      > work in lieu of road kill. Seafood gumbo is
      > wonderful
      > also. Link
      >
      > Link - you are crazy! Roadkill? are u in the UK???
      > ;-))

      Subsonic.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Trid
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
        So, roughly following Ian Smiley's sour mash process, I'm working on a peated
        malt sour mash whisk(e)y. Of course, in my typical
        mad-scientist-figure-it-out-as-I-go-who-needs-to-take-notes fashion, I'll
        attempt a recap of the festivities thusfar.

        note: this is being performed in a 5 gallon bucket

        One...had some[1] hulled barley that I got in bulk at the organic market
        ($0.45/lb attracted my inner cheapskate) which I ground with SWMBO's coffee
        mill (already conceded to owing her a new one).

        Two...mashed the raw barley with some[2] 6-row malt. Totally neglected the
        iodine test.

        Three...when the mash was cool, added water and some[3] peated 2-row and mixed
        it all up good and sloshy (for aeration) and let 'er sit for a week or so.

        Four...skimmed some floaties (per Smiley, floaty=spent grain) and let it
        continue to work, adding a pound of peated malt somewhere in there.

        Five...after the grains (considering the grains occupy 3/4+ of the bucket's
        volume, I can't really call it "trub") settled, all the floaties have been
        skimmed, and the liquid portion appears to look like it's clarifying, I rack
        the liquid off the grains into a separate bucket with a spigot.

        Six...replace the liquid volume with clean water, and add some [4] 6-row malt,
        and stir madly (more O2, more mixy goodness, and trying to maximize
        enzyme/starch contact).

        Seven...repeat four and five until the second bucket is filled.

        Eight...when bucket #2 is full, run its contents through a stripping run. When
        done, and backset is cool enough, replace the liquid volume from the last
        racking with backset and some more peated malt. Keep remaining backset in a
        bucket.

        Nine...repeat four and five again, with liquid replacement step alternating
        between water and backset. One of these days, it might be worthwhile testing
        the pH, yanno?

        Ten...repeat eight and nine...

        So, I just finished my third stripping run. I'm obviously getting impatient.
        A 4 gallon stripping run yielded about 1 1/2 L where it should have been 2+

        Personal notes...I need to keep track of the mash and either time the rackings
        specifically, or possibly do an iodine test to confirm when all the starches
        have converted. I would consider that the yeast would work about as fast as
        the starches can be converted (ambient temp between 66 and 72) so no starch
        would equal no sugars/max ethanol. Second, replenish spent grains in a more
        controlled manner...like, oh, I dunno...measuring :)

        [1] I think it was somewhere around 4-5 lb
        [2] perhaps about a pound
        [3] I think it was 1 1/2 lb
        [4] whatever was left in the bag...no clue at all how much a pound, maybe 2???

        Anyway, over the course of the experiment thusfar, I have about 2 gallons of
        low wines. I'm on the fence right now if I want to run them all in a polishing
        run and save the feints for the next round of low wines, or if I want to do one
        to 1 1/2 gallons and then add the feints to the remaining low wines and polish
        that.

        Trid
        -will keep you posted...feel free to add any feedback