Re: okra gumbo

  • subsonic40grain
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
      Oh, Chicken and sausage
      work in lieu of road kill. Seafood gumbo is wonderful
      also. Link

      Link - you are crazy! Roadkill? are u in the UK??? ;-))

      Harry, all this talk about onions makes my eyes water! But, (scuse
      the capital B and starting with a 'But'), the info you posted about
      ethanol and our wives and kids probably went farther than you thought
      it might.

      My wife is from the south, (Marseille) and generally they are very
      cautious with alcohol when pregnant, as she was when carrying my
      daughter Calypso Ciara. But, (again) I will be telling more people
      about your post than I might have.

      Harry, I tip one of Zyurgy Bobs finest to you. It is probably not an
      easy thing to post something like you did, but take heart - there was
      one I told, then another that they told, then another one of the one
      I told who told someone else, and so it goes on - all thanks to you.

      It's a very very good thing I think? A good way to see in the New
      Year. So, guys and gals lets tip one of our finest. To Harry.

      Slanlat! Cead meille failthe!

      (Spelling probably incorrect due to old Irish Mother a bit tipsy on
      my hooch!!!) Hey you guys, you can google it! Subsonic.
    • Link D'Antoni
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
        Subsonic,

        Trust me on this one...You are in good company. My
        sanity has been questioned by some fairly intelligent,
        educated, and discerning people. Maybe there is
        something to the rumors after-all, huh?!
        As far as linage...I am not but married into a Brit
        family. Such is life. After 30something years, I still
        have trouble with the humor. Let's see... 10 minutes
        of 'Mr. Bean' or fresh Road-Kill. :-) Which is easier
        to stomach? (rHQ)

        A (US)Southerner joke:
        There is big difference between a Northern and a
        Southern zoo. In the Northern zoo the animal habitat
        shows the common and the scientific name.
        Southern zoo shows the common name and a recipe!

        I shall take your recommendation and open one of my
        finest to celebrate the new year. Perhaps my 1999
        corn on Am White Oak.

        Cheers old chap and Tally ho,(or something like that)

        Link
        loUiSiAna

        --- subsonic40grain <subsonic40grain@...>
        wrote:

        > Oh, Chicken and sausage
        > work in lieu of road kill. Seafood gumbo is
        > wonderful
        > also. Link
        >
        > Link - you are crazy! Roadkill? are u in the UK???
        > ;-))

        Subsonic.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Trid
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
          So, roughly following Ian Smiley's sour mash process, I'm working on a peated
          malt sour mash whisk(e)y. Of course, in my typical
          mad-scientist-figure-it-out-as-I-go-who-needs-to-take-notes fashion, I'll
          attempt a recap of the festivities thusfar.

          note: this is being performed in a 5 gallon bucket

          One...had some[1] hulled barley that I got in bulk at the organic market
          ($0.45/lb attracted my inner cheapskate) which I ground with SWMBO's coffee
          mill (already conceded to owing her a new one).

          Two...mashed the raw barley with some[2] 6-row malt. Totally neglected the
          iodine test.

          Three...when the mash was cool, added water and some[3] peated 2-row and mixed
          it all up good and sloshy (for aeration) and let 'er sit for a week or so.

          Four...skimmed some floaties (per Smiley, floaty=spent grain) and let it
          continue to work, adding a pound of peated malt somewhere in there.

          Five...after the grains (considering the grains occupy 3/4+ of the bucket's
          volume, I can't really call it "trub") settled, all the floaties have been
          skimmed, and the liquid portion appears to look like it's clarifying, I rack
          the liquid off the grains into a separate bucket with a spigot.

          Six...replace the liquid volume with clean water, and add some [4] 6-row malt,
          and stir madly (more O2, more mixy goodness, and trying to maximize
          enzyme/starch contact).

          Seven...repeat four and five until the second bucket is filled.

          Eight...when bucket #2 is full, run its contents through a stripping run. When
          done, and backset is cool enough, replace the liquid volume from the last
          racking with backset and some more peated malt. Keep remaining backset in a
          bucket.

          Nine...repeat four and five again, with liquid replacement step alternating
          between water and backset. One of these days, it might be worthwhile testing
          the pH, yanno?

          Ten...repeat eight and nine...

          So, I just finished my third stripping run. I'm obviously getting impatient.
          A 4 gallon stripping run yielded about 1 1/2 L where it should have been 2+

          Personal notes...I need to keep track of the mash and either time the rackings
          specifically, or possibly do an iodine test to confirm when all the starches
          have converted. I would consider that the yeast would work about as fast as
          the starches can be converted (ambient temp between 66 and 72) so no starch
          would equal no sugars/max ethanol. Second, replenish spent grains in a more
          controlled manner...like, oh, I dunno...measuring :)

          [1] I think it was somewhere around 4-5 lb
          [2] perhaps about a pound
          [3] I think it was 1 1/2 lb
          [4] whatever was left in the bag...no clue at all how much a pound, maybe 2???

          Anyway, over the course of the experiment thusfar, I have about 2 gallons of
          low wines. I'm on the fence right now if I want to run them all in a polishing
          run and save the feints for the next round of low wines, or if I want to do one
          to 1 1/2 gallons and then add the feints to the remaining low wines and polish
          that.

          Trid
          -will keep you posted...feel free to add any feedback