okra gumbo

  • nenengstoute
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
      FIRST YOU MAKE A ROUX. Grab the gun and jump in the truck. if you can't
      have a gun where you live,just ride around and look for some fresh road
      kill. Possum,armidello,racoon ect. anything thats still bleeding.
      actually the word gumbo means okra. yes its good to eat,and if you put
      okra in it(i don't) it make an awfull great laxative. HAPPY NEW YEAR.
      Mike
    • Link D'Antoni
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
        Don't know where this 'off topic' came from... but
        Okra is used to thicken the gumbo...and yes, Virginia,
        to flavor the gumbo as well. Oh, Chicken and sausage
        work in lieu of road kill. Seafood gumbo is wonderful
        also.

        Link

        --- nenengstoute <nenengstoute@...> wrote:

        > FIRST YOU MAKE A ROUX. Grab the gun and jump in the
        > truck. if you can't
        > have a gun where you live,just ride around and look
        > for some fresh road
        > kill. Possum,armidello,racoon ect. anything thats
        > still bleeding.
        > actually the word gumbo means okra. yes its good to
        > eat,and if you put
        > okra in it(i don't) it make an awfull great
        > laxative. HAPPY NEW YEAR.
        > Mike

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • subsonic40grain
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
          Oh, Chicken and sausage
          work in lieu of road kill. Seafood gumbo is wonderful
          also. Link

          Link - you are crazy! Roadkill? are u in the UK??? ;-))

          Harry, all this talk about onions makes my eyes water! But, (scuse
          the capital B and starting with a 'But'), the info you posted about
          ethanol and our wives and kids probably went farther than you thought
          it might.

          My wife is from the south, (Marseille) and generally they are very
          cautious with alcohol when pregnant, as she was when carrying my
          daughter Calypso Ciara. But, (again) I will be telling more people
          about your post than I might have.

          Harry, I tip one of Zyurgy Bobs finest to you. It is probably not an
          easy thing to post something like you did, but take heart - there was
          one I told, then another that they told, then another one of the one
          I told who told someone else, and so it goes on - all thanks to you.

          It's a very very good thing I think? A good way to see in the New
          Year. So, guys and gals lets tip one of our finest. To Harry.

          Slanlat! Cead meille failthe!

          (Spelling probably incorrect due to old Irish Mother a bit tipsy on
          my hooch!!!) Hey you guys, you can google it! Subsonic.
        • Link D'Antoni
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
            Subsonic,

            Trust me on this one...You are in good company. My
            sanity has been questioned by some fairly intelligent,
            educated, and discerning people. Maybe there is
            something to the rumors after-all, huh?!
            As far as linage...I am not but married into a Brit
            family. Such is life. After 30something years, I still
            have trouble with the humor. Let's see... 10 minutes
            of 'Mr. Bean' or fresh Road-Kill. :-) Which is easier
            to stomach? (rHQ)

            A (US)Southerner joke:
            There is big difference between a Northern and a
            Southern zoo. In the Northern zoo the animal habitat
            shows the common and the scientific name.
            Southern zoo shows the common name and a recipe!

            I shall take your recommendation and open one of my
            finest to celebrate the new year. Perhaps my 1999
            corn on Am White Oak.

            Cheers old chap and Tally ho,(or something like that)

            Link
            loUiSiAna

            --- subsonic40grain <subsonic40grain@...>
            wrote:

            > Oh, Chicken and sausage
            > work in lieu of road kill. Seafood gumbo is
            > wonderful
            > also. Link
            >
            > Link - you are crazy! Roadkill? are u in the UK???
            > ;-))

            Subsonic.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Trid
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
              So, roughly following Ian Smiley's sour mash process, I'm working on a peated
              malt sour mash whisk(e)y. Of course, in my typical
              mad-scientist-figure-it-out-as-I-go-who-needs-to-take-notes fashion, I'll
              attempt a recap of the festivities thusfar.

              note: this is being performed in a 5 gallon bucket

              One...had some[1] hulled barley that I got in bulk at the organic market
              ($0.45/lb attracted my inner cheapskate) which I ground with SWMBO's coffee
              mill (already conceded to owing her a new one).

              Two...mashed the raw barley with some[2] 6-row malt. Totally neglected the
              iodine test.

              Three...when the mash was cool, added water and some[3] peated 2-row and mixed
              it all up good and sloshy (for aeration) and let 'er sit for a week or so.

              Four...skimmed some floaties (per Smiley, floaty=spent grain) and let it
              continue to work, adding a pound of peated malt somewhere in there.

              Five...after the grains (considering the grains occupy 3/4+ of the bucket's
              volume, I can't really call it "trub") settled, all the floaties have been
              skimmed, and the liquid portion appears to look like it's clarifying, I rack
              the liquid off the grains into a separate bucket with a spigot.

              Six...replace the liquid volume with clean water, and add some [4] 6-row malt,
              and stir madly (more O2, more mixy goodness, and trying to maximize
              enzyme/starch contact).

              Seven...repeat four and five until the second bucket is filled.

              Eight...when bucket #2 is full, run its contents through a stripping run. When
              done, and backset is cool enough, replace the liquid volume from the last
              racking with backset and some more peated malt. Keep remaining backset in a
              bucket.

              Nine...repeat four and five again, with liquid replacement step alternating
              between water and backset. One of these days, it might be worthwhile testing
              the pH, yanno?

              Ten...repeat eight and nine...

              So, I just finished my third stripping run. I'm obviously getting impatient.
              A 4 gallon stripping run yielded about 1 1/2 L where it should have been 2+

              Personal notes...I need to keep track of the mash and either time the rackings
              specifically, or possibly do an iodine test to confirm when all the starches
              have converted. I would consider that the yeast would work about as fast as
              the starches can be converted (ambient temp between 66 and 72) so no starch
              would equal no sugars/max ethanol. Second, replenish spent grains in a more
              controlled manner...like, oh, I dunno...measuring :)

              [1] I think it was somewhere around 4-5 lb
              [2] perhaps about a pound
              [3] I think it was 1 1/2 lb
              [4] whatever was left in the bag...no clue at all how much a pound, maybe 2???

              Anyway, over the course of the experiment thusfar, I have about 2 gallons of
              low wines. I'm on the fence right now if I want to run them all in a polishing
              run and save the feints for the next round of low wines, or if I want to do one
              to 1 1/2 gallons and then add the feints to the remaining low wines and polish
              that.

              Trid
              -will keep you posted...feel free to add any feedback