Re: [Distillers] Onion wine recipe

  • Trid
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2006
      --- Mark <markgofast@...> wrote:

      > I found this on the web ( www.scorpius.spaceports.com ). Actually
      > there are many onion wine receipes on the web, with slight
      > differences here and there.
      >
      > 1/2 pound onions
      > 1/2 pound potatoes
      > 1 pound raisins
      > 5 cups granulated sugar
      > 1 teaspoon yeast nutrient
      > 2 teaspoons acid blend
      > 1 campden tablet
      > 1 package wine yeast
      > water
      >
      > I'm still not sure where the enzyles are coming from - certainly not
      > the potatoes.
      >
      > Does anybody know what's converting the starches?
      >
      > Mark

      At least in my case, the intent is to use exclusively onions as the source of
      the fermentable sugars. Per the inulin conversion threads regarding agave, I'm
      planning on baking the onions around 300F for about 2 hours and seeing how (if)
      that works. Given that there aren't starches in onions (please correct me if
      I'm wrong) I'm working with the idea that there is no conversion necessary
      therefore no call for enzymes.
      I'll puree the baked onions and boil in some water for an (as yet) undetermined
      time and strain. I'll see if I can get some kind of usable OG reading and take
      it from there.

      Trid
      -soon shopping for onions and bribes for SWMBO
    • donald holcombe
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007
        That high a temp will break down the Oils and may change the taste and smell. It will be  worth a try to see what happens.You can sub a 1/2 pint of grape concentrate for raisins. This is a 1 gallon recipe. My recipes all call for boiling the onions and potatoes for 15 Min. I said SG was 1.040 BUT that is the sg when you rack off of the lees.  OG should be higher , Not sure what it was.

        > there are many onion wine receipes on the web, with slight
        > differences here and there.
        >
        > 1/2 pound onions
        > 1/2 pound potatoes
        > 1 pound raisins
        > 5 cups granulated sugar
        > 1 teaspoon yeast nutrient
        > 2 teaspoons acid blend
        > 1 campden tablet
        > 1 package wine yeast
        > water
        >
        > I'm still not sure where the enzyles are coming from - certainly not
        > the potatoes.
        >
        > Does anybody know what's converting the starches?
        >
        > Mark

        At least in my case, the intent is to use exclusively onions as the source of
        the fermentable sugars. Per the inulin conversion threads regarding agave, I'm
        planning on baking the onions around 300F for about 2 hours and seeing how (if)
        that works. Given that there aren't starches in onions (please correct me if
        I'm wrong) I'm working with the idea that there is no conversion necessary
        therefore no call for enzymes.
        I'll puree the baked onions and boil in some water for an (as yet) undetermined
        time and strain. I'll see if I can get some kind of usable OG reading and take
        it from there.

        Trid
        -soon shopping for onions and bribes for SWMBO

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • surya9375
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
          Hey Everyone

          Just yesterday I was browsing through and came across this PDF file
          named "lord of the rigs". It was an intresting doc on vapour
          management stills.
          But here is the irony. My system crashed and I'v been hunting for the
          doc ever since. Upon searching I found this

          But still no link or doc. Could anyone help me if they have a copy.
          Maybe Harry knows where it is :-).

          And anymore docs on vapour management would be welcome

          Thanks Guys.
          Surya.
        • surya9375
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
            Hey guys.
            I think I posted just a sec too early. I found it at
            http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/kHCbRbu2r7mqAqACYjm8jd4nbHaeiVbY-c5cRALw6fnxbDeh6q1WypDiE3DfJvc3QXY9Tf4Ni7O_mcmo71-JFgwB4T755w/Vapour%20Still%20Construction.pdf

            Either ways if you guys know any good doc on Vapour management.
            Do let me know. :-)

            Thanks guys.

            Regards
            Surya.
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "surya9375" <surya9375@...> wrote:

              > Hey guys.
              > I think I posted just a sec too early. I found it at
              > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/kHCbRbu2r7mqAqACYjm8jd4nbHaeiVbY-c5cRALw6fnxbDeh6q1WypDiE3DfJvc3QXY9Tf4Ni7O_mcmo71-JFgwB4T755w/Vapour%20Still%20Construction.pdf
              >
              > Either ways if you guys know any good doc on Vapour management.
              > Do let me know. :-)
              >
              > Thanks guys.
              >
              > Regards
              > Surya.

              Yeah, well that link shits itself also.  Geoff posted it in the files section (where else?).  Try this one...

            • surya9375
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 4, 2007
                Hey thanks Harry.
                One more thing. Is it possible that you can make that library printable?

                I mean it does not allow you to print it out. I like paper than
                glaring at a screen all day long. It would be nice. Whenever you ahve
                the time.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 5, 2007
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "surya9375" <surya9375@...> wrote:

                  > Hey thanks Harry.
                  > One more thing. Is it possible that you can make that library
                  printable?

                  > I mean it does not allow you to print it out. I like paper than
                  > glaring at a screen all day long. It would be nice. Whenever you ahve
                  > the time.
                  >
                  > Regards
                  > Surya.

                  Printing is limited to 1 page at a time. Full explanation, see here...

                • surya9375
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 7, 2007
                    Read it. Makes sense. :-)
                    I'll get back to reading it on-line.