taking a break from drinking (a bit OT)

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 30, 2006
      I'm a bit of a lurker here but I have definitely learned boatloads
      from everyone in a remarkably short period of time. I found out
      yesterday that my girlfriend is pregnant, and especially in light of
      some of the conversations here and in new distillers, we are both
      changing our lifestyles a bit. My girlfriend has never been a huge
      drinker, but has given up alcohol as well as chocolate, coffee,
      caffeinated soda, etc. Being the great guy that I am, I'm giving them
      up too in an effort to provide some support. Ironically, alcohol will
      probably be the easiest for her, but the most challenging for me. I'm
      looking at it as a good excuse to let some of my whiskey age properly
      to see how it comes out, instead of drinking it practically right off
      the oak. Anyway, I should have a nice stockpile of fine spirits to
      sample about 9 months from now, and its going to take about 3oz to get
      me smashed. Anyway, I'm very excited and just needed to share, and
      thank everyone for the help, both direct and indirect, since I built
      my first still about 6 months ago. Cheers, and toss one back for me!
    • Peggy
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 30, 2006
        This is a most admirable thing to do, Mat. Our son did the same for his
        wife--stopped drinking during her pregnancy. They even called it 'their'
        pregnancy. And now they enjoy a drink while three year old twins wind down
        in the evening. You are a very good man!

        From a very proud mother and grandmother...
        And we will salute your baby when the time is due.

        Subject: [Distillers] taking a break from drinking (a bit OT)

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 30, 2006
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <mauger81@...> wrote:

          > I'm a bit of a lurker here but I have definitely learned boatloads
          > from everyone in a remarkably short period of time. I found out
          > yesterday that my girlfriend is pregnant, and especially in light
          of
          > some of the conversations here and in new distillers, we are both
          > changing our lifestyles a bit. My girlfriend has never been a huge
          > drinker, but has given up alcohol as well as chocolate, coffee,
          > caffeinated soda, etc. Being the great guy that I am, I'm giving
          them
          > up too in an effort to provide some support. Ironically, alcohol
          will
          > probably be the easiest for her, but the most challenging for me.
          I'm
          > looking at it as a good excuse to let some of my whiskey age
          properly
          > to see how it comes out, instead of drinking it practically right
          off
          > the oak. Anyway, I should have a nice stockpile of fine spirits to
          > sample about 9 months from now, and its going to take about 3oz to
          get
          > me smashed. Anyway, I'm very excited and just needed to share, and
          > thank everyone for the help, both direct and indirect, since I
          built
          > my first still about 6 months ago. Cheers, and toss one back for
          me!

          Good onya, Matt. I take it you've seen the info in my Library re
          FASD. I can now die happy knowing that's one child who'll not have
          to suffer lifelong neurological problems. I congratulate you and
          your partner for the responsible steps you've taken.

          I'd also like to thank whoever it was who suggested I put up that
          page of info. Seems it's gonna target the right people.

        • morganfield1
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 31, 2006
            Hi Matt,
            I think it's a very good thing you're doing. It's always alittle easy
            to maintain abstinance of anything when you have support and less
            temptation. My partner gave up smoking. Though I have never smoked
            cigarettes, I do so enjoy a pipe or cigar now and then, but no more.
            Her health is more important.
            Tip one, (er, sorry)
            Morgan

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <mauger81@...> wrote:

            > we are both
            > changing our lifestyles a bit. My girlfriend has never been a huge
            > drinker, but has given up alcohol as well as chocolate, coffee,
            > caffeinated soda, etc. Being the great guy that I am, I'm giving
            them
            > up too in an effort to provide some support.
          • Link D'Antoni
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 31, 2006
              Harry,

              I have forwarded info from this group to various, who
              I think would be, interested parties.
              My daughter will be heading to medical school next
              year. I thought that she might have interest in the
              FASD info.
              She thanked me while annoucing that she will
              certainly take a breather from alcohol because of the
              information provided. Then informed me that she is
              'in the process' of protecting my next grandchild.

              You have done and continue to do all of us a great
              service. Knowledge is power.

              THANKS,

              May God Bless and Happy New Year,

              Link

              > Good onya, Matt. I take it you've seen the info in
              > my Library re
              > FASD. I can now die happy knowing that's one child
              > who'll not have
              > to suffer lifelong neurological problems. I
              > congratulate you and
              > your partner for the responsible steps you've taken.
              >
              > I'd also like to thank whoever it was who suggested
              > I put up that
              > page of info. Seems it's gonna target the right
              > people.
              >

              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • surya9375
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 1, 2007
                Someone's girl in this group is pregnant and Harrys feeling like a
                million dollars or a proud father. LOL . If this aint a family I dont
                know what is.

                Hey but, This line caught me :-

                >"My girlfriend has never been a huge drinker, but has given up
                >alcohol as well as chocolate, coffee, caffeinated soda, etc. "

                Along with tasting Alchol. I'm also a pig for chocolates. So when i
                saw chocolates in the list it caught me.

                Chocolates are good for her. Especally during pregnancy. Yes, there
                are trace amounts of caffiene in chocolates. but the minute amount
                does good for her. here are some links for you to read up on.

                http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn4854

                http://www.babycenter.com/plus/safe/quest.jhtml?iisQuestId=1137642

                http://www.willystreet.coop/Newsletter/Newsletter_Archive/0406/midwife.html

                Forget about being bad. The chocolates are good not only for her but
                also for the baby.

                Buddy, the rest of the things in the list seem ok to be thrown out the
                window. But do your research before you throw it out. Google is an
                awsome thing. Type in this with the quotes and all into google.

                "chocolate"+"pregnancy"

                and you'll get all you want.

                Lots of work cut out for you.

                Happy months ahead