charcoal filtering

  • dvman45
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
      I have filtered quite a few batches of vodka now and always do it at
      45%abv and bottle.I have also done several batches of rum and whiskey
      and filtered it at 45%abv after aging 30 or more days in oak chips. I
      am now about to run a 20gal.rum wash (next week)and am thinking of
      charcoal filtering it at 45% abv before adding caramelized sugar and
      any oak aging. I am worried that doing it then will remove alot of the
      flavor.Does anyone have an opinion on when the best time for filtering
      is?
      Thanks Dave
    • Andrew Bugal
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
        Dave,

        It is usually filtered after being cut down to 45%, 42% or whatever.

        This gives a clean batch to add your flavours to.  You were right that adding carbon to your batch after flavouring could change the flavour.

        Regards,

        Bwyze

        dvman45 <dvman45@...> wrote:
        I have filtered quite a few batches of vodka now and always do it at
        45%abv and bottle.I have also done several batches of rum and whiskey
        and filtered it at 45%abv after aging 30 or more days in oak chips. I
        am now about to run a 20gal.rum wash (next week)and am thinking of
        charcoal filtering it at 45% abv before adding caramelized sugar and
        any oak aging. I am worried that doing it then will remove alot of the
        flavor.Does anyone have an opinion on when the best time for filtering
        is?
        Thanks Dave

      • tyler_97355
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
          Jack Daniels is filtered through maple charcoal before aging.
          Gentleman Jack is filtered before and after being aged. I think i
          would recomend doing it before.

          -Tyler

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote:

          > Dave,
          >
          > It is usually filtered after being cut down to 45%, 42% or whatever.
          >
          > This gives a clean batch to add your flavours to. You were right
          that adding carbon to your batch after flavouring could change the
          flavour.

          > Regards,
          >
          > Bwyze
          >
          > dvman45 <dvman45@...> wrote:
          > I have filtered quite a few batches of vodka now and
          always do it at
          > 45%abv and bottle.I have also done several batches of rum and whiskey
          > and filtered it at 45%abv after aging 30 or more days in oak chips. I
          > am now about to run a 20gal.rum wash (next week)and am thinking of
          > charcoal filtering it at 45% abv before adding caramelized sugar and
          > any oak aging. I am worried that doing it then will remove alot of the
          > flavor.Does anyone have an opinion on when the best time for filtering
          > is?
          > Thanks Dave

          http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

        • Sunil Kumar
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
            Happy new year and expecting more and more sharing of
            new techniques and experiences.

            Any body can advice me for building a small charcoal
            filter.

            Thanks and regards

            Sunil

            --- dvman45 <dvman45@...> wrote:

            > I have filtered quite a few batches of vodka now and
            > always do it at
            > 45%abv and bottle.I have also done several batches
            > of rum and whiskey
            > and filtered it at 45%abv after aging 30 or more
            > days in oak chips. I
            > am now about to run a 20gal.rum wash (next week)and
            > am thinking of
            > charcoal filtering it at 45% abv before adding
            > caramelized sugar and
            > any oak aging. I am worried that doing it then will
            > remove alot of the
            > flavor.Does anyone have an opinion on when the best
            > time for filtering
            > is?
            > Thanks Dave

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • John Wheeler
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
              Hey Sunil,

              I ran out and bought the "Z Carbon Filter", which works 'ok' I guess.  It *does* filter, but the 'Z' shape means that you automatically loose some product in the filter.  That, and it's somewhat of a pain to rinse the carbon since they designed it for a cut-off section of hose, and it ran me about $50... (dOH!).

              So, I'd be open to hearing other people's recommendations, but I would say, get a length of 1"-3" pipe (if you can get copper, more points for you) and attach some connectors on each end, one to receive input and the other for releasing the filtered product w/o letting any of the carbon out.  A straight design will allow you to (hopefully) get it all out, or at least you'd have gravity working for you in that sense.  The other part to think about is the staging and receiving containers.  Ideally, you'd have a large bucket-type container on each end so you don't have to keep pouring for the whole time.

              Check out the website, I think there are a few pictures and diagrams, but I can't seem to find them at the moment.

              Good luck!

              --John

              --- dvman45 <dvman45@...> wrote:

              > I have filtered quite a few batches of vodka now and
              > always do it at
              > 45%abv and bottle.I have also done several batches
              > of rum and whiskey
              > and filtered it at 45%abv after aging 30 or more
              > days in oak chips. I
              > am now about to run a 20gal.rum wash (next week)and
              > am thinking of
              > charcoal filtering it at 45% abv before adding
              > caramelized sugar and
              > any oak aging. I am worried that doing it then will
              > remove alot of the
              > flavor.Does anyone have an opinion on when the best
              > time for filtering
              > is?
              > Thanks Dave

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • surya9375
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
                Get some Active Carbon powder. Get a pipe of 2" diameter (keep it
                above an inch to not have any wall effect). Close one end with a thick
                clean cloth by wraping the cloth to the mouth of the pipe and tying it
                with a piece of string. Push in some cotton through the other end all
                the way to the cloth end. and then fill with the active carbon powder.
                And let the alcohol drip through the open end. There :-) . This is
                what I use.

                Active Carbon is what is used to filter out any tastes. But if you
                want to filter for "ADDING" flavours. Like oak. Then beat the charcoal
                to as small as you want and fill that instead of the Active carbon powder.

                Regards
                Surya

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 4, 2007
                  I will try your design and let me know how it comes in
                  the end.

                  thanks and regards

                  sunil

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • dvman45
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 6, 2007
                    Thankyou for the replies.I have decided to try filtering my rum at 45%
                    abv before adding caramelized sugar and aging in oaks (some of each-
                    raw,toasted, and soaked in whiskey).After the aging process (2/3s at a
                    year if possible and 1/3 after at least 30 days (need some to tide me
                    over hahaha) I will filter again if I think it necessary. I will post
                    my results, Thanks, Dave