Re: Vapour capers

  • Larry
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 21, 2006
      That router speed control will work just fine for your rig. Routers not only have electric motors, which use relatively high amounts of power, but they have pretty powerful ones.

      You should probably check the power ratings on any that you're considering, but most will handle a 1500-watt draw with lots of headroom left over.

      That's why you don't go to the hardware store and buy a wall-dimmer for an overhead light.  Those are typically rated at 150-500 watts.

      Yes, a speed control would do what you're asking about below, though you might want to avoid turning it down multiple times.

      The column should work better if you can find a low heat-setting that still produces steam, then after you find it, leave it constant.
      The best road to purity is to bring the wash up to boiling pretty quickly, then back down and use as little heat as you can get by with and still get any output. The slower the better, and the more constant, the better.

      I don't think you can pre-determine heat-settings too accurately, no matter how precisely the speed-control is marked.

      The barometric pressure, ambient temperature, and whether a breeze is blowing on your column will all change heating requirements somewhat between each run. I guess that if you distill inside your house, that can control some of it, but that presents a pretty serious fire-hazard, even when using electric heat.

      Most people advise keeping a fire extinguisher within 15-20 feet of the still, even when it's outdoors. Kidde makes some nice A-B-C extinguishers that are refillable for about $30 at Home Depot and most hardware stores... <grin>

      At 10:57 AM 12/21/2006, you wrote:
      I've got a still spirits setup - and I haven't been able to find out what the wattage is for the internal heating coil, but it doesn't seem to have any sort of temperature control, it's just either on or off...

      I'm considering getting one of those router speed control units to try to dial back the power that's going into the pot.  It looks pretty simple, just dial back if it's getting too hot too fast.  My 20 liter will heat up about 10 degrees in an hour, and then another 10 in ten minutes, and then another 10 in about 5 minutes... so it goes from about 20 deg to 50 in 1:15, but then it shoots up to about 85 deg. in another 10 minutes, and then on to about 92-93 where it hovers for a while.  Ideally, I'd like to drop the heat by half at around 50-60 just to slow things down.  Would this be able to do that?