Re: [Distillers] re root beer

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 24, 2001
      On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 07:30:38PM -0000, vicker44@... wrote:
      > sassafrass has a mildly cancerous oil in it. That is why rootbeer
      > losts its good flavor in the sixties. The EPA banned it for comercial
      > use. I love the stuff myself it makes great tea. Just another case
      > of mother government over reacting.
      > Vicker

      you said it Vicker. They do things like feed 100 lbs of the stuff
      (safrole) to a rat and it dies of cancer. And we scratch our heads "why?"
      as a result :) These days safrole has another reputation as a starting
      point for certain nefarious substances.

      But nothing is as good as a fresh root beer. There's a brewpub/restaurant
      here in SF called the Beach Chalet. Their beers are good but their root
      beer is a real delight.

      Matthew @ psibercom