Re: Can anyone post their experience with 3 inch / 76mm diameter columns

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 5, 2006
      Surya,

      This applies to reflux coil type condensers where you have large
      opening in the middle of the condenser. Filling this void with mesh
      slows down the vapor flow and improves condenser efficiency thus
      preventing vapor from escaping. Although it is not always needed it
      does not hurt to fill that void just in case.

      Cheers, Riku

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "surya9375" <surya9375@...> wrote:

      > Head on Rikku.
      >
      > I would just like to adda comment from a reply I got from Amphora
      > Society when I enquired to purchase the copper mesh.
      >
      > ------------------------------------
      > >One pound of mesh would be sufficient to pack one metre of 2 inch
      > >diameter column, so you would need two pounds to accomplish your
      aim
      > >of packing 1.5 metre. This would leave about 0.5 pound spare,
      but it
      > >should be noted that the top reflux condenser needs mesh inside
      if it
      > >is to function at full efficiency. It would therefore not be
      wasted.
      > ------------------------------------
      >
      > If this is true then I guess you would need more than 2 pounds to
      have
      > enough for a 3" column.
      >
      > Regards
      > Surya

    • mavnkaf
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 5, 2006
        Thanks guys again for the very good info, this is the sort of
        information I could not find in the archive.

        Donald, your post was interesting but I'm not going down that road,
        the off take speed you mention is very fast! Thanks for your
        thoughts.

        Surya and Riku, both of you mention a reduction of purity, that part
        I seemed to have missed in my reading, can some one point towards
        some thing I can read about this issue? I wrong most of the time
        but I don't think I seen it at home distiller?

        To Riku, as I have mentioned, I like the ARC setup but where can I
        find more detailed info that will match a 3" column to a 3 " set up?
        I'm abit confused about the inside sencer tube compared to outside
        one. I have got admit that I have not read/found all the reading
        stuff relating to this subject, sorry.

        As far the condenser goes, I already have a shotgun condenser that
        has about 6 meters of 6 mm copper tube in it. Copper packing, I
        think about 4-5 pounds will do it?

        Cheers Marc

        > Surya,
        >
        > This applies to reflux coil type condensers where you have large
        > opening in the middle of the condenser. Filling this void with
        mesh
        > slows down the vapor flow and improves condenser efficiency thus
        > preventing vapor from escaping. Although it is not always needed
        it
        > does not hurt to fill that void just in case.
        >
        > Cheers, Riku
        >
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "surya9375" <surya9375@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Head on Rikku.
        > >
        > > I would just like to adda comment from a reply I got from Amphora
        > > Society when I enquired to purchase the copper mesh.
        > >
        > > ------------------------------------
        > > >One pound of mesh would be sufficient to pack one metre of 2
        inch
        > > >diameter column, so you would need two pounds to accomplish
        your
        > aim
        > > >of packing 1.5 metre. This would leave about 0.5 pound spare,
        > but it
        > > >should be noted that the top reflux condenser needs mesh inside
        > if it
        > > >is to function at full efficiency. It would therefore not be
        > wasted.
        > > ------------------------------------
        > >
        > > If this is true then I guess you would need more than 2 pounds
        > have
        > > enough for a 3" column.
        > >
        > > Regards
        > > Surya

      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 5, 2006
          Reduced quality using larger columns have been shown in practise. I
          don't know whether anyone have actually written about it.

          My writings about ARC can be found at
          http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Listings2.htm#Books%
          20Listings - Simple low cost stills

          The internal sensor pipe has several advantages and is thus
          recommended. You can use plans for smaller diameter column and make
          measures a bit larger in proportion. Just make sure you won't
          encounter flooding, i.e. calculate things according to the power you
          plan on using.

          Cheers, Riku