Re: Can anyone post their experience with 3 inch / 76mm diameter columns

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
      Here are some observation from 3" columns versus 2" stuff:

      On average you loose ~1% ABV when moving from 2" to 3" if all other
      parameters are kept equal. In practise thise means that HETP is
      increased by 50% using very rough estimation. This promotes the use of
      higher column to fix things. For height I'd recommend at least 1.5
      meters if you can afford it.

      Packing, as mentioned mesh rolls are recommended to avoid voids in
      packing.

      Product removal, for neutral alcohol VM and ARC are the best.
      Succesfull 3" columns have been built using both approaches.

      Power, 2kW to the column works well.

      Otherwise things are roughly the same as they are with 2" columns.

      Cheers, Riku
    • surya9375
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 5, 2006
        Head on Rikku.

        I would just like to adda comment from a reply I got from Amphora
        Society when I enquired to purchase the copper mesh.

        ------------------------------------
        >One pound of mesh would be sufficient to pack one metre of 2 inch
        >diameter column, so you would need two pounds to accomplish your aim
        >of packing 1.5 metre. This would leave about 0.5 pound spare, but it
        >should be noted that the top reflux condenser needs mesh inside if it
        >is to function at full efficiency. It would therefore not be wasted.
        ------------------------------------

        If this is true then I guess you would need more than 2 pounds to have
        enough for a 3" column.

        Regards
        Surya

        > Here are some observation from 3" columns versus 2" stuff:
        >
        > On average you loose ~1% ABV when moving from 2" to 3" if all other
        > parameters are kept equal. In practise thise means that HETP is
        > increased by 50% using very rough estimation. This promotes the use of
        > higher column to fix things. For height I'd recommend at least 1.5
        > meters if you can afford it.
        >
        > Packing, as mentioned mesh rolls are recommended to avoid voids in
        > packing.
        >
        > Product removal, for neutral alcohol VM and ARC are the best.
        > Succesfull 3" columns have been built using both approaches.
        >
        > Power, 2kW to the column works well.
        >
        > Otherwise things are roughly the same as they are with 2" columns.
        >
        > Cheers, Riku

      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 5, 2006
          Surya,

          This applies to reflux coil type condensers where you have large
          opening in the middle of the condenser. Filling this void with mesh
          slows down the vapor flow and improves condenser efficiency thus
          preventing vapor from escaping. Although it is not always needed it
          does not hurt to fill that void just in case.

          Cheers, Riku

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "surya9375" <surya9375@...> wrote:

          > Head on Rikku.
          >
          > I would just like to adda comment from a reply I got from Amphora
          > Society when I enquired to purchase the copper mesh.
          >
          > ------------------------------------
          > >One pound of mesh would be sufficient to pack one metre of 2 inch
          > >diameter column, so you would need two pounds to accomplish your
          aim
          > >of packing 1.5 metre. This would leave about 0.5 pound spare,
          but it
          > >should be noted that the top reflux condenser needs mesh inside
          if it
          > >is to function at full efficiency. It would therefore not be
          wasted.
          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > If this is true then I guess you would need more than 2 pounds to
          have
          > enough for a 3" column.
          >
          > Regards
          > Surya

        • mavnkaf
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 5, 2006
            Thanks guys again for the very good info, this is the sort of
            information I could not find in the archive.

            Donald, your post was interesting but I'm not going down that road,
            the off take speed you mention is very fast! Thanks for your
            thoughts.

            Surya and Riku, both of you mention a reduction of purity, that part
            I seemed to have missed in my reading, can some one point towards
            some thing I can read about this issue? I wrong most of the time
            but I don't think I seen it at home distiller?

            To Riku, as I have mentioned, I like the ARC setup but where can I
            find more detailed info that will match a 3" column to a 3 " set up?
            I'm abit confused about the inside sencer tube compared to outside
            one. I have got admit that I have not read/found all the reading
            stuff relating to this subject, sorry.

            As far the condenser goes, I already have a shotgun condenser that
            has about 6 meters of 6 mm copper tube in it. Copper packing, I
            think about 4-5 pounds will do it?

            Cheers Marc

            > Surya,
            >
            > This applies to reflux coil type condensers where you have large
            > opening in the middle of the condenser. Filling this void with
            mesh
            > slows down the vapor flow and improves condenser efficiency thus
            > preventing vapor from escaping. Although it is not always needed
            it
            > does not hurt to fill that void just in case.
            >
            > Cheers, Riku
            >
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "surya9375" <surya9375@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Head on Rikku.
            > >
            > > I would just like to adda comment from a reply I got from Amphora
            > > Society when I enquired to purchase the copper mesh.
            > >
            > > ------------------------------------
            > > >One pound of mesh would be sufficient to pack one metre of 2
            inch
            > > >diameter column, so you would need two pounds to accomplish
            your
            > aim
            > > >of packing 1.5 metre. This would leave about 0.5 pound spare,
            > but it
            > > >should be noted that the top reflux condenser needs mesh inside
            > if it
            > > >is to function at full efficiency. It would therefore not be
            > wasted.
            > > ------------------------------------
            > >
            > > If this is true then I guess you would need more than 2 pounds
            > have
            > > enough for a 3" column.
            > >
            > > Regards
            > > Surya

          • abbababbaccc
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 5, 2006
              Reduced quality using larger columns have been shown in practise. I
              don't know whether anyone have actually written about it.

              My writings about ARC can be found at
              http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Listings2.htm#Books%
              20Listings - Simple low cost stills

              The internal sensor pipe has several advantages and is thus
              recommended. You can use plans for smaller diameter column and make
              measures a bit larger in proportion. Just make sure you won't
              encounter flooding, i.e. calculate things according to the power you
              plan on using.

              Cheers, Riku